Vehicle burglaries at La Cantera and The Rim

6,644 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rwtxag83
hillcountryag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple of weeks ago my truck was broken into while parked at La Cantera. In broad daylight. I parked in front of Nordstrom's. A guy parked his truck about 50 feet from me, was in the mall less than 30 minutes, and came out to find his truck broken into.

The investigating officer told us 15 trucks had been burglarized at the two malls, that day, between 3:00 in the afternoon and 9:00. While he was taking info from us, two more calls came in reporting trucks hit at the Palladium.

Since then, I've heard numerous people tell me either they or someone they know, have been hit in those areas.

I've followed up a couple of times on my case and police told me they have no information. There was a witness to the other guy's break in but the license plate on the suspects' car was stolen.

I realize police cannot be everywhere. But with so many hits on these areas, at least the malls would try to increase surveillance and patrols. I won't go back there in any kind of new vehicle, if at all.

The security at La Cantera was a kid. Not armed. Nice guy but definitely not any kind of security. The witnesses to the break gave him a description of the suspects, vehicle model, and license. He forgot to write down the license plate.

Maybe this is happening all over SA but seems incredible the number of hits between those two very popular shopping areas.
BrazosBull
AG
One of the worst parts on town . I was at one time a frequent customer of the Pallidium I-Max and Bass Pro. No more ! These merchants do not seem to care . It is not a function of our police department to spend max effort protecting private parking lots. I think it is up to the merchants to step up with some security for their customers. I will be a very rare visitor to these merchants until they do. These are high end merchants, and it is not like that as a group they cannot afford it.
I do not blame the police nearly as much as I blame the merchants ! If they invite me to their parking lot to spend my money in their store then they need to step up. It is not like they are not aware of this issue.
88planoAg
AG
I've often wondered why they don't have one of those crane rigs that might or might not have an officer in it to deter car break-ins.
UnderoosAg
AG
$20 says it was three black males in a white BMW with fake paper tags.

Our office overlooks Sea Island and the Northstar mall garage. About a week or so ago, co-worker was staring out the window while on the phone. White BMW backs up next to a brand new F250 KR parked all by itself in the corner. Co-worker saw dude get out and start jacking with the truck's door, so he dumped his call and called the cops. MFs were in the truck and then gone in less than a minute.

There's always crazy **** happening between the mall, the Via terminal, the UHS clinic, and the homeless, so a couple of us have binoculars. Coworker tried getting the plates off the BMW, but front one was missing and back was paper. He called the Sea Island and had them page the owner, then we met him and the cops downstairs. Truck owner had a console vault so they didn't get anything. F'd up his door. He said Jimmy Jammers weren't available for the 2017s yet.

Cops said MF's have been at it for about a month. They know it's a white BMW, and they know the plates are fake.
http://i.imgur.com/H6jmyPq.png
aggie_fan13
AG
I stopped going to those parts of town when I realized there ain't **** to do there
capital markets
AG
azulAg said:

I stopped going to those parts of town when I realized there ain't **** to do there
Where do you go to instead?
SW AG80
AG
There are an unbelievable number of vehicles stolen at the Rim and La Cantera. Especially Ford pickups. It seems to happen more often during the summer and around Christmas. If the vehicle has out of state plates then it is even more likely to get stolen.
aggie_fan13
AG
capital markets said:

azulAg said:

Where do you go to instead?
a bar
aggie_fan13
AG
I'm surprised La Canter and North Star haven't beefed up their security, whenever i go to huebner oaks i consistently see security trucks driving around
who?mikejones
AG
You're not really from San Antonio until you have your car broken into and your stuff jacked.

It's puro.
aggie_fan13
AG
who?mikejones said:

You're not really from San Antonio until you have your car broken into and your stuff jacked.

It's puro.
I kinda have to agree, buddies camaro got his side window busted open and he was parked at Bass pro shop. Thankfully I haven't had that happen to me ..... Yet
88planoAg
AG
Just drive a crappy old not-so-clean minivan with a bunch of crap in it and a cracked windshield. Problem solved.
jgh85Ag
AG
I just put a bunch of hippy, gun control bumper stickers on my truck. Thieves figure no guns there.

I call it urban camouflage.
AgShaun00
AG
F150 are the target. The lock is defective and easy to pop. They usually take the tray in the center console. Take your valuables out of there at least.
Burdizzo
AG
I was going to post a link to a similar thread on the Outdoors board until I realized that thread was the same topic started by the same poster three weeks ago.
hillcountryag86
AG
Yes, I did post this same topic. Thought it might be relevant to both Outdoors and San Antonio.
Burdizzo
AG
I was thinking of parking my S-Crew Ford in the parking lot with a buddy laying in the back seat with a tazer.
who?mikejones
AG
azulAg said:

who?mikejones said:

It's puro.
I kinda have to agree, buddies camaro got his side window busted open and he was parked at Bass pro shop. Thankfully I haven't had that happen to me ..... Yet

I drove a 2000 Honda with 300000 miles on it. I changed out the starter one day and left the core in the front seat to return the next day to get the deposit.

Got in the car the next morning to head to work and, presto, someone took it. Congrats I guess.
hillcountryag86
AG
Burdizzo said:

I was thinking of parking my S-Crew Ford in the parking lot with a buddy laying in the back seat with a tazer.

Someone is going to do this one day. They'll have more than a taser. It's ridiculous this is so common at these malls.
The Lurker
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

A couple of weeks ago my truck was broken into while parked at La Cantera. In broad daylight. I parked in front of Nordstrom's. A guy parked his truck about 50 feet from me, was in the mall less than 30 minutes, and came out to find his truck broken into.

The investigating officer told us 15 trucks had been burglarized at the two malls, that day, between 3:00 in the afternoon and 9:00. While he was taking info from us, two more calls came in reporting trucks hit at the Palladium.

Since then, I've heard numerous people tell me either they or someone they know, have been hit in those areas.

I've followed up a couple of times on my case and police told me they have no information. There was a witness to the other guy's break in but the license plate on the suspects' car was stolen.

I realize police cannot be everywhere. But with so many hits on these areas, at least the malls would try to increase surveillance and patrols. I won't go back there in any kind of new vehicle, if at all.

The security at La Cantera was a kid. Not armed. Nice guy but definitely not any kind of security. The witnesses to the break gave him a description of the suspects, vehicle model, and license. He forgot to write down the license plate.

Maybe this is happening all over SA but seems incredible the number of hits between those two very popular shopping areas.
Welcome to San Antonio.

Unfortunately this happens all the time at the major shopping centers along the interstate and everywhere else. Cops don't investigate it because they are overwhelmed by this.

I have always thought it is a matter of when, not if, your car will get broken into in San Antonio.
The Lurker
AG
Check out the crime map. I think people realize property crime is bad here but don't realize how bad it is.

Go to: http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAPD/Crime-and-Call-Information
Click on area crime maps. Select which crimes you want to see. It shows the last 30 days.
The Lurker
AG
Outer loop crime will decrease once they finally put the wall around 410 and keep those inner-loopers at bay.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
The Lurker said:

Outer loop crime will decrease once they finally put the wall around 410 and keep those inner-loopers at bay.
Was this a Nirimberg campaign promise?

I had a truck stolen decades ago within the vicinity of Cooter Browns. I've paid my SA tax.

Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I spent 4 months working in Corpus and got my car broken into there, so I was well prepared for San Antonio's theft problem. My boss had his laptop satchel stolen from his car outside a fancy restaurant right in the Lockhill-Selma area shortly after moving here.

Burdizzo's cousin's truck was stolen from the airport short-term parking a few years back.

Someone stole tools and Thai coconuts from my friend's truck at the quarry outside whole foods.

On Nextdoor someone's car was broken into but the theives left shoes behind in exchange.
aggie_fan13
AG
Yea I feel crime is getting worse overall in the city
Whitetail
AG
My boss had his F250 broken into while parked at the Quarry. He parked it there while he went to a Spurs game.
jgh85Ag
AG
I guess S.A. is not the haven for hope the liberals envisioned.
aggie_fan13
AG
jgh85Ag said:

No it is not, stupid thing is i've met more moderates and conservatives in SA than i have full blown liberals, have no idea how guys like Nirenberg/Castro keep getting into office
AgShaun00
AG
azulAg said:

jgh85Ag said:

No it is not, stupid thing is i've met more moderates and conservatives in SA than i have full blown liberals, have no idea how guys like Nirenberg/Castro keep getting into office
you are probably only in the 10-20% area where most live. You must not engaged with the S of i10 line.
aggie_fan13
AG
I do interact regularly. Most liberal people I know are college kids
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
azulAg said:

jgh85Ag said:

Russian hacking in the mayoral and City Council elections.

I guess the Castro clan is pretty good at bussing people to the polls on election day too.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Just found out today 2 friends were hit during same string as OP. One 250 broken into to and another 150 stolen, recoverered on the border after chase.
OilFieldIRI
S
BIL had his Platinum F150 stolen from a restaurant around the 281 and Nakoma area.
Sad, he had only had the truck 2 months.
aggie_fan13
AG
Why are Fords so easy to steal ?
OilFieldIRI
S
Good question, I took my 2014 to get my tires rotated about a month ago and that's when I found out my spare tire was stolen.
I considered myself lucky.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.