San Antonio...I've never been. Staying on the Riverwalk.

2,235 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by brotheraggie
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*cross posted from Travel board*

So I'm taking the wife to San Antonio and crazy as it is, we've never been. We are staying 2 nights at a Marriott by the Riverwalk, but what are some must see sites? Basically will have 1 and a half days to bum around and do things.

Obviously the Alamo is a must, but other things we should visit/see?

Also, eating recommendations?? We like pretty much any food,but curious if there are "must eat" restaurants.
p_bubel
Drinks at the Esquire after dinner. Mission San Jose if ya'll are in good shape is a several mile bike ride down the Riverwalk.

Menger Bar for a little history and there's no shortage of restaurants in the area. It's been a while, but I liked Acenar, Zinc, Little Rhein...

The river barge tour isn't a bad way to see the more popular section of the riverwalk and I do enjoy relaxing in the Plaza at San Fernando at the end of an evening. (There's a pretty good light show on the Cathedral a couple times a night, on some nights)
bam02
AG
If you've never been to Gruene it may worth a half hour drive to visit for a few hours.

Take the barge on the riverwalk from or to the newer extension that goes through the Pearl. You go through a lock and it's a pretty section of the river. Great dining options all around the pearl.
f2foxes2001
AG
Eat at the following:
Feast (dinner)
Esquire for drinks
IL Sogno (dinner)
Ocho for drinks
Cured for lunch
Supper for Lunch

jgh85Ag
AG
Stay away from Mi Tierra unless you like mediocre over priced Tex Mex.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
If the weather is nice, the Paramour Bar is pretty cool I hear. Other suggestions are pretty good.
AgsMyDude
AG
jgh85Ag said:

I though it was pretty good myself.
Krazykat
AG
Eat at Bohanan's. Some of the best steaks you will ever have.

https://www.bohanans.com/
wadd96
AG
If going to the Alamo on the weekend... prepare for a line to get in. And remove your cap/hat!

The other Missions are cool too...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Whitetail
AG
Hennessy11 said:

jgh85Ag said:

I though it was pretty good myself.
If you are from SA, you'll know that if you are anywhere inside 410, you can throw a stone and hit way tastier (and cheaper) mexican food than Mi Tierra. Mi Tierra ain't bad if you want a view of the riverwalk and aren't used to better local mexican food.
Ag86Hotard109
AG
Where the hell do you get a view of the Riverwalk at MI Tierra?
Whitetail
AG
Good point. Thinking casa Rio. Still mostly applies.
GinaLinetti
AG
Whitetail said:

Good point. Thinking casa Rio. Still mostly applies.

Casa Rio is a great place to grab an appetizer and a margarita to people watch. Both casa too and mi Tierra don't have great food but it's also not terrible. If you want to make a quick trip up 10, grab a couple al pastor tacos at Guajillos. Doesn't look like much, but they are my favorite in the city.
FDXAg
AG
Thanks for all the recommendations! Took quite a few of them for our dining over the weekend and enjoyed everything. Left this afternoon and had a great experience on the riverwalk and at the newer Pearl district.

p_bubel
brotheraggie
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.