Cabin Rehab/Rebuild Project

36,841 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by ABATTBQ11
Rattler12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In my case the doc said there wasn't much that could be done and put me in a special shoe for a few weeks. The shoe didn't allow the toes to bend so it wasn't really that painful
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went out Friday to start laying deck boards. It went pretty quickly, but I ended up spending half the day cutting and installing blocking between the joists to have an angular transition from the front deck to the side deck (and dealing with multiple rain delays). Today was a total bust due to heavy rain this morning making for a sloppy mess I didn't want to work in. The best part is I now have a flat, level space to work which will make life a lot easier and safer.




I'll add crossbracing between the joists in that open space that lines up with the joists from the side deck when it gets built. I'll be back out in July to build the side deck and continue excavating the ground on the back of the building to slope it away from the foundation and give me enough vertical space for the deck foundation beams.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back out this weekend. I have a useful tip if you don't want to spend a 200% premium for pre-cut stringers - Grab a 2x12 at Home Depot, then go grab the size stringer you need. Stencil the stringer onto the 2x12, then cut it yourself. BOOM! you get three stringers for the price of one.




My ambitious list of things to do this weekend include installing corner trim on the cabin, installing stairs on the front deck, building the foundation for the side deck, painting the exterior front and barn doors, and finishing the plumbing. I will not get all of those things done.
gratitudeandacceptance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there many folks around on the weekends enjoying their cabins or are you usually pretty isolated?
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gratitudeandacceptance said:

Are there many folks around on the weekends enjoying their cabins or are you usually pretty isolated?

It's a pretty sleepy campground. Aside from scheduled events hosted by member clubs, we have volunteer work weekends, which vary from a handful of people to 30+, depending on the weather. A lot of times when I come out I'm one of maybe 4 or 5 people here. My cabin is also the farthest from the front gate and in a reasonably secluded location. There may be some efforts to allow some level of commercial camping in the future now that we organized a non-profit.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OMG, it sucked out there today. By dinner time I had a nice case of heat exhaustion, but the pool helped.

I got relatively little done today and not so many pics. I finished installing the steps on the side of the deck and did some painting. I painted the grooves in the siding and finished the first coat so it doesn't look like I gave up. Having a large, flat, safe, surface to work on made it much easier. I also painted the inside of the barn doors to look like the outside. I need to touch up the edges of the red paint because tape and aggressive texture do not play well together.


Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really impressive
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spent Sunday and Monday at at the cabin. Both days ended up being 105 in the shade so I had to fight the heat exhaustion to make some forward progress. First, I finished all the water plumbing except for the quarter-turn valves for the sink. I still have to finish the drain line. No pics of the plumbing, but I did plan to get the side deck framed up and ended up completing it because I really wanted a win from such a brutal weather experience, although I still have to trim the edge.







gratitudeandacceptance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone else at the camp started improving their buildings now that you're showing what's possible?
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not really. Some have asked me for advice, but I haven't seen any real work being done. We are, however, improving some of the common buildings like the kitchen, but that is not because of me.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The next big challenge is prepping the site for the rear deck. I need to slope the ground away from the building to reduce or eliminate sheet flow under the building and provide enough space for the deck foundation at the west end of the building. It's going to be a LOT of earth work in hot weather.

This pic is a little deceptive from the angle, but at a distance of 7 feet from the wall of the cabin, the ground is about 8 inches higher than it is at the wall. I've been out there a couple times right after it rained and the ground was still moist and used a tiller to break up the soil, but doing that all by hand with a tiller, shovel, and wheelbarrow is back-breaking work. Ultimately it's probably just under two yards of soil, but it's filled with rocks and yaupon roots. I also have to make a final decision about the ashe juniper staying or going. It provides decent shade, but would require changes to the deck foundation design.
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's looking really good. Awesome job!
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. I'll be back out for Labor Day weekend to do some more exterior trim work, maybe paint that wall, and get some rail posts attached. I got a 6x14 sun sail to attach to the front of the building to provide more shade. I may try to build a temporary platform under the shower so I can use it.
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's come a really long way. Can't wait to see your finished pics.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm starting to feel like this thing will never be done. I was only able to spend a single day out there over the Labor Day weekend because the rest of my life is in the way right now. All I got done was adding a railing to the front of the deck. This pic was taken before I wrapped the corner on the left side, so there is an additional post on that side, which helped make the railing more rigid. The tall posts at the corners are to attach a sun sail for some shade.


Sadly, my next trip out won't be for another five weeks, and I'll end up spending much of my time preparing a teaching demonstration I will have to give from camp, since we have our quarterly business meeting that weekend and I need my events to get approved. My teaching demo time is one hour before that meeting.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're obviously good at what you're doing and feel like it'll never end, but embrace the process. As much as you'll enjoy the final result I bet there's a part of you that will miss the build.

That before/after shot tells the story.
Greener Acres
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keep it up. I check this forum specifically for your updates and appreciate watching the work. Love the before/after comparison.
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For a hot second, I thought those orange and blue buckets were being used as a pier for the deck…
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks awesome for 6 months of part time work on your own.
Luckass96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am just amazed at how much you have done on an old storage shed. I agree I think when you are done you will keep adding more projects and adding things, but hope you take a break and enjoy your hard work.
On your grading for the back of cabin I would rent a dingo with bucket and trencher for the weekend. Use the trencher to loosen the dirt then move and level with bucket will be well worth the rental fee.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Looks awesome for 6 months of part time work on your own.

Add 11 to that.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Luckass96 said:

I am just amazed at how much you have done on an old storage shed. I agree I think when you are done you will keep adding more projects and adding things, but hope you take a break and enjoy your hard work.
On your grading for the back of cabin I would rent a dingo with bucket and trencher for the weekend. Use the trencher to loosen the dirt then move and level with bucket will be well worth the rental fee.

We're going to rent some equipment to do work on various areas of the landsite and I plan to go in on it to have some work done next to the cabin where the parking area is intended to be, but to really do it the right way we need equipment with a six-way blade and those get really expensive. I'm already $17K into this thing, so I'm pinching pennies wherever I can.
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I missed that you started this thread last year. Still, it's come a LONG way, and you're close to the finish line.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.