Man I was just thinking about your project last week. Good timing on the update! Thx for sharing!








jt2hunt said:
I don't see pictures of your miscalculations!







Dr. Doctor said:
At least you made it too big and not too small. That means another trip to the store to get new materials.
Quote:
BTW, are you doing the work all by yourself (solo) or do you have any help with this?
Quote:
Also, you should totally not finish painting it, so it would look like the shed on the side of HWY 6, heading to Houston from CS. I remember when they started building it and it has stood the test of time half built and half painted.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ajEv8bpxGcuMRw518















Ryan the Temp said:
Just ordered my deck materials, which marks the end of major expenditures on the project. Construction of the deck will begin on May 16th. I initially planned 5-foot decks on the front and back of the building at a cost of $1400-1500. I ultimately decided to go with 6-foot decks on the front and back with a 3-foot deck connecting them on one side. Doing so only added a little more than $500 to the cost, which I think is reasonable, given the benefit of the large size and connection.
It looks like when all is said and done, the project will come in right around $17K, including furnishings.
Ryan the Temp said:
We're getting into event season when I can't be on property on weekends unless I pay to attend the scheduled event(s) and get permission from the event organizers.
AgLA06 said:Ryan the Temp said:
We're getting into event season when I can't be on property on weekends unless I pay to attend the scheduled event(s) and get permission from the event organizers.
Wait.
What?
Buck Compton said:
What type of site is this and what type of events are there?? Just really curious on the arrangement







StillNotAnAggie said:
Looks great and hoping for a speedy recovery.
Since you don't need them all the time, you could pick up a pair of these and leave them out there.
Use this code at checkout to get them for $53. DD53VZ4S
https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/dd-work-steel-toe-wellington/18406M.html
Ryan the Temp said:
Aside from the above post, I had a very productive weekend, despite the heat.
I had not initially planed to do any work on the deck this weekend other than setting the piers. I had the deck materials delivered this weekend because next weekend is an event weekend and no deliveries are allowed, even if I am registered for the event. One thing on the agenda was starting the rock wall I wanted for the front to help reduce the aggressive slope. I tilled up the soil behind the cabin and used that for fill up front.
With rain in the forecast for all of next weekend, I decided to push on and start the deck.
The most important piece of information I can share from this weekend is no matter how much you trust yourself or how much you try to be safe and do things in a way you believe reduces risk, things can happen. While on a water break Sunday afternoon I was thinking about how it would be beneficial for me to have some steel or composite to safety shoes when I'm out here working (in general, not just on the cabin). Three and a half hours later a six foot section of 4x6 beam rolled off the deck foundation and fell almost three feet and landed end-edge on my foot. I thought it would just hurt like a ***** for 5 or 10 minutes and I'd be fine. Then I saw the blood soaking through the top of my shoe. I have a slightly fractured and VERY lacerated big toe.I'm going to share the photo below not for shock value or to satiate you morbid weirdos, but to show you what can happen. Please, be safe, and when you think you're being safe, be safer.
ETA: Apparently I can't post the image URL without the image being displayed.
