Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Ceiling Fan/Blown Lights Bulb Question

664 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by UnderoosAg
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I removed some B11 type light bulbs from my son's ceiling fan and one of them broke, leaving the stem in the outlet and powering off the other two lights. I cut the power and removed the stem with pliers. I made sure the outlet was clear and screwed in the new light bulbs, however none of them will power on even after flipping the breaker back on.

The ceiling fan still works but I'm not getting any light. Any help with this? I cannot find a GFCI outlet in his bedroom that might be the issue? Also, the bulbs were super hot and that means they were likely too much for the outlet but they worked prior to the one bulb breaking.

Suggestions????
BenTheGoodAg
AG
If I had to guess, when it shorted, it overloaded and popped a connection internal to the fan housing.

Are the light and fan powered from the same wall switch? Or are fan power and light power turned on with separate wall switches?

You're probably going to have to open it up and check for power on the light circuits. Much easier if you have a non-contact voltage tester (Example). Start at the socket and work your way back until you find power.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Take the light fixture off of the fan and look at the wires connecting the two. There might be a fuse in there that popped.
Wheatables02
AG
One switch for both fan and lights.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Then it'll almost certainly be a connection, fuse, or other component in the fan that failed.
UnderoosAg
AG
To quote Furio from The Sopranos, check the "estoopida ****ing" current limiter ahead of the light kit. Little box wired into the kit. It's made to prevent you from overloading the light. They like to fail, and sometimes make the lights blink as they die. Truth be told, it will work without the unicorn box - just don't overload it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.