Electricity Plan Renewals

8,935 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by pantherag
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rates have dropped somewhat. Anybody decide to pay the cancellation fee and make the leap to another plan?
cena05
AG
I'd like to know as well. Are they actually dropping much?
rme
AG
I will take a closer look. They dropped 2 cents since I signed up, likely worth a change.
JSKolache
AG
If you havent got a quote from thigbe, do yourself the favor...
cena05
AG
I'm with Thigbe and paid close to $300 for 1600kwh this past cycle. Hoping a new plan would help me out.
Texker
AG
I just renewed with Amigo in early August @ 14.7. Cancelation fee is $175. Checking PTC there's a 3 year plan with ValuePower at 12.1 with $300 cancelation fee.

It's about a 3 month recovery of the $175.
Texker
AG
Made the switch this afternoon.
ktownag08
AG
JSKolache said:

If you havent got a quote from thigbe, do yourself the favor...

Been wholly unimpressed with Thigbe almost from the start. Plan to switch away soon.
El hefe
AG
Where is the best place to shop?
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

Checking PTC there's a 3 year plan with ValuePower at 12.1 with $300 cancelation fee.
Is that 12.1 just the energy charge or does it also include the delivery charges?

Mine is up for renewal soon. Currently I've got a $.06 energy charge, and I'll know I'll be paying more, but ...
rme
AG
For 2,000 kWh, powertochoose.org shows 11.7 cents all-in for 100% renewable in Oncor's territory.
Texker
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

Quote:

Checking PTC there's a 3 year plan with ValuePower at 12.1 with $300 cancelation fee.
Is that 12.1 just the energy charge or does it also include the delivery charges?

Mine is up for renewal soon. Currently I've got a $.06 energy charge, and I'll know I'll be paying more, but ...

Yes, all in. As rme notes above the price has decreased a bit more. Think I'll call and see if I can get an adjustment to the lower rate.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I use TXU Market Edge. It's based on the monthly market rate of NG, so it will constantly vary, but over time it works out to be as good or better than a lot of fixed rate plans.
rme
AG
I'll have to look into that. Is the gas price a published index?
Whoop Delecto
AG
cena05
AG
I did the same but really they should be doing it for us.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Texker
AG
So rates have dropped a bit more. I finally decided to call my provider yesterday and request the lower rate on the same contract as listed on PTC. They did grant the request which cut the all-in rate from 12.1 to 11.2 at 2000 kWh. Just restarted the contract start date (36 months) which isn't a big deal since I was only 2 months in on the original contract.
DeBoss
AG
I found my plan a year ago at 11.7 with a $30 credit over 2k KWH per month. Anything better than that out there since I still have 2 years on my fixed rate plan?
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
planoaggie123
AG
Energy Ogre is proposing a switch to save $$ but nothing massive ($180 total what i believe is to be over just 3 months). Waiting to hear back how the savings are calculated and what the new rate / term will be. Will post when i get more info.
Texker
AG
Others on another thread in business forum have recommended Thigbe.com so you might give that a look.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks. Just submitted a request to have them give me a quote. Waiting on Energy Ogre too.
planoaggie123
AG
Thigbe is proposing a total rate of $0.0496 (one email said that one said $0.094 but that seems to be a typo or they are sneaking in fees).

Either way This is a lot cheaper than my current rate and cheaper than what Energy Ogre is proposing for my new service. The only thing is I don't know how long of a term and what cancel fees would be.

Anyone with experience would appreciate thoughts. Always worry when things seem too good to be true. What am I missing? Anything? Why wouldn't everyone just use them.

Their site seems clunky and it makes me a tad nervous. I will look into it more at work tomorrow.
ktownag08
AG
I'd wager it's a 3 month deal given that rate.
planoaggie123
AG
I think you are right but asking them to confirm. Will post back with more updates.
apoglo12
AG
I've been with Thigbe for several years (they were EZ Electricity previously). They have been great, completely hassle free for me, and they have maneuvered me into several great plans. I also think the cost of their service is extremely reasonable.

Shameless plug for a referral code: https://www.thigbe.com/referral-welcome-to-thigbe/?referral=6B1D88AA4EEF462FB34151DA18752BD5
planoaggie123
AG
Confirmed. $0.095 all-in price which is nearly half what i am paying now...however...it is just 3 months....hmmmmm....i guess no matter what its cheaper than current.

3 month renewal would be up around end of May which is when my bills start to creep up....usage peaked last year at 4,800 and averaged 2,500 for the year.
FincAg
AG
I just renewed for 24 months for a base of .06245 where the all in totals something like .109. I just go out and do it myself for 24-36 months. Less likely of riding the rate rollercoaster.

Lowest I ever got in 20 years was an all in of probably .08 and highest probably .11.
kyle field 94
AG
FincAg said:

I just renewed for 24 months for a base of .06245 where the all in totals something like .109. I just go out and do it myself for 24-36 months. Less likely of riding the rate rollercoaster.

Lowest I ever got in 20 years was an all in of probably .08 and highest probably .11.

My plan is expiring soon and this sounds like a great option. What company is offering this

Thanks
FincAg
AG
I'm am mistaken, 36 not 24. Value Power. Might be different terms if not in DFW.

kyle field 94
AG
FincAg said:

I'm am mistaken, 36 not 24. Value Power. Might be different terms if not in DFW.

That is a great rate but it is not available in Houston.

The same 36 month value power contract in Houston is 12.0 cents vs your 10.8 cents.

Both the energy cost and transmission charges are higher in Houston vs Dallas.

I didn't realize they there were this large of price differences between the cities

planoaggie123
AG
I was just offered similar as an option instead of the 3 month plan

$0.11 average price (0.0643 base + delivery) for 3 years with $300 termination.

Considering....that is almost exactly half what i am currently paying for the base energy charge ($0.126).

They (thigbe) think they will likely do a 12 to 24 month plan after this 3 month and expect the base charge to be between $0.05 and $0.07....
planoaggie123
AG
just found this on powertochoose....maybe it is silly to pay people to do this when its so easy to just look...am i missing something? is there anything tricky / sneaky that I could miss that Ogre or Thigbe know about or is it just about checking periodically and determining if there is value in switching? Should I be concerned about using a company i have not heard of?

edit: this is 12 months. They have a similar for 24 months. slightly higher cancel fee but less than $300.

apoglo12
AG
My understanding with Thigbe (can't speak to Ogre) is they are able to bundle multiple accounts and get premium/negotiated rates due to the volume of accounts. And their cost is pretty low every month (my electricity cost was $152 last month and I paid Thigbe an additional $6 fee, $2 charitable donation and $4 Thigbe revenue).
agchino
AG
A lot of the better plans on power to choose can be a bit tricky with rebates and tiered rates based on usage. That being said you can pay the $10 for Texas power guide and enter your own usage info and do the same thing. I started to make my own spreadsheet to compare power to choose, then found out Texas power guide does the same thing and keeps it updated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.