The Shop Organization Thread

12,361 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieFactor
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love my husband dearly. He is a great father and a good provider. However, he's not "project-inclined". I grew up with a single mom and I tend to use the tools more, fix little things around the house, etc. the electric drills are mine. I'm a little jealous of all y'all's stuff and spaces. Especially the high-up shelves to hold storage bins. I'd really like some of those. I'll have to hire someone if I want them put in.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Garage/Shop by proxy - Here's one I've wanted to do for a while. I would prefer to keep paints in climate-controlled storage to keep it from spoiling and free up garage space. We've got a few of these closets with 9 foot ceilings, and there's over three feet above the top shelf. They're kind of inefficient and alot of the space ends up wasted. So I built these little paint can shelves. All of this paint used to take up an entire shelf.

I've been trying to clean this closet up so I could free up space for 3D printer consumables. I finally took the plunge and bought a Prusa. Pano-effect was about the only way I could get a photo, but the shelves have nearly 4 feet of open space between the paint storage now. I was able to pull a lot of paint out of the garage into other closets.

AggieFactor
AG
Have a much larger garage renovation going on but finally finished the first of three organization projects for it. Previous owners had a simple 4x8 self hanging in the middle of the garage (which was probably contributing in some part to the 6" sag I have in the garage ceiling). Anyways, always wanted to take advantage of the 10' ceilings and use the wall space over the garage door for some sort of storage. Came up with a bracket system using a bunch of wood scraps I gathered from surrounding housing developments to hold two storage boxes instead of the standard one people normally hang from the ceiling.

Side note if anyone is working on a project where you need dimensional lumber in under 6' runs, go to any new subdivision and rummage through the trash bins in front of each house during framing.
Aggietaco
AG
Great use of space, wish I had ceilings high enough to do similar.

If you've got the space at your 2x joints, I would throw a few metal angle brackets in for some added support, those pocket hole screws into OSB? would cause me to worry.
AggieFactor
AG
So the strapping on the ceiling is 1" plywood that I created by ripping 1/2" Arauco plywood I had left over from a cabinet build into strips and then gluing them together. Each bracket was strong enough for me to do a few of pull-ups with no creaking from the boards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.