The Shop Organization Thread

12,476 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieFactor
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggietaco said:

I'm on the fence with pegboard. I agree that it's nice to see a lot of stuff out and easily accessible, but there is always a fair amount of dust floating around my garage and I feel like having dust all over my tools would bug the **** out of me. I keep all of my tools in the rolling chest, soft bags, hard shells, or totes.

Do y'all just keep your shop cleaner than mine?

I would say I'm pretty meticulous about keeping my area clean, and I spend much more effort keeping the floor and bench top dust free. And as mentioned by Underoos, I typically blow out my space to manage dust, and almost never need to blow off the tools, with one exception: my miter saw throws a fair amount of dust on adjacent tools. I'm hoping dust collection will help manage that, but honestly, the tools blow off clearly fairly well, too.
coolerguy12
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

I need to reorganize and improve my area.

Almost mistook this for my workbench. Except I have 3 chainsaws underneath and they each run about 1/3 of the time so I basically have one chainsaw.
Koko Chingo
AG
Right now my garage would make an excellent 'Before Picture'
BrokeAssAggie
Koko Chingo said:

Right now my garage would make an excellent 'Before Picture'
Join the party! I will post my progress. It's actually been pretty satisfying and getting a place for everything.
BrokeAssAggie
Still grinding away. Didn't realize we had so much stuff.

BrokeAssAggie
Think I'm close to finished. Goal was to get most everything off the floor. Next step will be to label and organize all the bins so I can easily locate things. Thanks for all the tips. It was a fun project!

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Dang - what a transformation! Great job - all the superlatives!
BrokeAssAggie
BenTheGoodAg said:

Dang - what a transformation! Great job - all the superlatives!

Thanks. We will see how long it stays organized..
txag2008
AG
Looks great. Did you buy some pegboard accessory kit or just buy them all individually? I need to buy some.
BrokeAssAggie
txag2008 said:

Looks great. Did you buy some pegboard accessory kit or just buy them all individually? I need to buy some.

I bought the sheets from Home Depot. 4x2 sheets for $16 each.
txag2008
AG
I was talking about the hooks/holders/pegs/etc
BrokeAssAggie
txag2008 said:

I was talking about the hooks/holders/pegs/etc

Oh, I had some already and bought a pack of Amazon. Home Depot had some heavy duty "drill hooks" and I picked up a few of those.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07V223B9W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
TexasStone
BrokeAssAggie said:

Think I'm close to finished. Goal was to get most everything off the floor. Next step will be to label and organize all the bins so I can easily locate things. Thanks for all the tips. It was a fun project!
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/27/56/2756612968363532a1be12c8ee70c52f65a2a767_3756966_u248769.jpg
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/fc/ac/fcac364c6659d62a2f93e9c3c465d260127f0b0a_3271661_u248769.jpg
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/90/ce/90ce28d7ff3a830bef88b43513c85be3b76e1e48_3592544_u248769.jpg
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/62/d8/62d8596bed3a921682076a834186d827fa7c122d_3252372_u248769.jpg

That's an interesting looking ceiling storage solution. Not only is the height you set it at adjustable due to cables but does it also raise up and lower down to retrieve stuff without use of the ladder easily?
BrokeAssAggie
That's correct. It was as there when we purchased the house. You crank it up and down with a long pole. This is similar.

https://www.redsube.shop/product/blackfriday-racor-phl-r-garage-ceiling-storage-rack-lift/
BrokeAssAggie
Shop turns into a dance club when the sun goes down.

BenTheGoodAg
1208HawkTree
AG
That looks familiar. I need to completely empty my garage and rethink where a lot of stuff goes. I did it about a year ago, but found the stuff I use the most is stored in areas I can't get to easily once bikes, etc. get in the way. Ends up piled on the bench, like always.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

All right. You guys have inspired me. Going to get this place organized!

I don't know, looks pretty well organized in comparison to some of the messes I've seen/made.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
You can also buy some on Uline if you're looking for specific parts in bulk - Link. Some personal preferences to share:

I'm a bigger fan of these style than the ring style screwdriver holders, but they're harder to find individually at hardware stores:

Also, some folks really like pegboard bins for storing screws, wire nuts, etc. Personally, I prefer small parts organizers like below. I've got one for plumbing, electrical, irrigation, screws etc and try to keep them stocked with basic spares and consumables. So much easier to grab a box when you go swap a sprinkler head, or add an outlet, or fix a fitting.

txag2008
AG
Thread inspired me a bit to get a corner of my garage situated. New pegboard and new homes for things.
Pinochet
What are the switches and dimmer for to the left of your countertop?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Pinochet said:

What are the switches and dimmer for to the left of your countertop?
Controls for the sex swing just to the left of the fridge.
txag2008
AG
It's a hot wire foam cutter. I built it a few years ago to see if I could and it sounded neat.

It uses NiCrome wire (same stuff that's in toasters). The switches on the side are to toggle the voltage on the transformer and the dimmer wheel is for more incremental adjustments. It works great and cuts through foam (foam boards, polyurethane/polyethylene foam inserts, etc) like butter. The 'cutting arm' is easily removable and mounts underneath to make it easy to store.

This was the only picture I could find when it's not stowed away.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Neat machine you made. What's all the foam for?
txag2008
AG
Mainly been used to cut out letters, numbers, characters, farm animals, etc for the kids or their birthday parties. Could just as easily do school/sports logos.

I'll make a template out of posterboard and use that as my guide to cut the foam. Have just used XPS foam panels from HD (.5", 1", 1.5"). It's paints up real nice after cutting.

I know a lot of people will use them to make custom gun case foam inserts.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Gun cases. Custom tool inserts
BenTheGoodAg
AG
That's awesome. I've seen some jickey versions of this tool, but that one looks really nice.
BQ2001
AG
I just got 4 of those Steady Rack bike holders myself, they are great
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Also for the sex swing.
Jabin
For those who've done a shop or garage organization, how did you start? I need to organize my garage and am not sure how to plan my efforts. Knowing where and how to start is sort of overwhelming. I don't want to end up just moving a pile from one location to another.
UnderoosAg
AG
I've done my garage probably 4 times in the last ~12 years as tools grew, Hobby's added, stork brought a wife, etc. First thing I always did was clean it out to get rid of trash, junk and Goodwill pile. It thinned the herd and helped get an inventory of what needed a home.

Or start here for ideas and watch your day disappear.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forums/garage-gallery.7/

BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think it's important to understand what you're trying to do, first. What works for others may not work for your needs. For example, woodworking vs general use vs a mechanic setup could be very different.
cml08
AG
Looks great! Can you show more detail on how your shelving is built?
BrokeAssAggie
Really simple and cheap! No cutting necessary…..8' or 10' 2x4 on the bottom 3" screws in every stud. 2x8 on top into the 2x4 about every 16". The shoe box bins fit perfect. I picked those up from target for about $1.50 each.

Rexter
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.