Home Improvement
Sponsored by

120 gallon propane tank for spa/pool heater - Why Not?

7,338 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been told by 2 propane companies that a 120 gallon tank won't operate a heater properly. Can anyone explain this to me? My pool company seems to think it's no problem at all so I'm getting conflicting info.

Thanks
Whoop Delecto
AG
akaggie05
AG
A standard gas-fired pool heater is 400K BTU/hr. A gallon of propane contains 91,500 BTUs. So for every hour you run the pool heater, you burn ~4.4 gallons of propane. About 17 hours of run time for a 75 gallon tank. Probably ok for running a spa a few times, but heating an entire pool would deplete the tank after 2-3 uses.
1990Hullaballoo
AG
It is probably related to the fact that the smaller tank is not able to vaporize the fuel in it fast enough when temps are low (when you need pool heater). Propane devices use the vapor as a fuel, not the liquid. It takes a certain amount of heat to get the liquid to turn to vapor. If there is not enough heat to do this, you end up pulling liquid into the system and you risk getting liquid propane in the mechanisms that are designed to work with vapor and all kinds of hell can break loose. Especially if the liquid makes it to the burner.

I taught at a school in the hill country where we had a 1000 gallon and a 500 gallon tank to heat the main building with. We had to watch the temperature closely as we could not vaporize enough propane to keep up when it got below around 24 degrees.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Very good explanation
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I have seen liquid hit the burners in an industrial setting while on the unit. Not fun, but quite memorable.
DeBoss
AG
Thank You! that makes sense actually and no one else has said that. If we are talking about it being warm enough, is there an advantage to burying a tank vs. above ground in Texas?
1990Hullaballoo
AG
I haven't had any personal experience with underground, but seeing as the ground temp in most of Texas is 68 degrees +, I would think that would eliminate problems with vaporizing the fuel.

Also helps with aesthetics.
tgivaughn
AG
May I guess that what's afoot is this:
Our new 120 gal vertical above ground tank seemed perfect to fuel the smallest fireplace gas logs over a season BUT (at least this first year) it is addictive - as would swimming in a heated pool in cooler months will be.

Soooo we have had at least 3 refills this season thus far! (since I don't have to cart heavy tanks to refill points.)
Thinking a pool heater will eat more fuel, certainly if swimming in cooler months might be = too many refueling stops for the supplier, which could translate to your costs rising.

Agree the pool heating guys have no problems, IF the supplies don't run out.

I won't debate the underground vs above here, only to say that above ground easier to inspect = safer and fencing/evergreens are screening elements found every where be they for aesthesis or propane tanks.

Fun fact: propane is not perishable but pricing depends on demand/supply/weather/politics sooooo bigger tanks is better when serving a dedicated appliance .... HVAC, WH, generators, then perhaps swimming, fireplaces, BBQ, etc.
Ten words or less ... a goal unattainable
aggiepaintrain
AG
to heat your pool with propane 10 degrees would cost $200 ouch

4 gallons an hour/$5 a gallon

1 degree per hour

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.