Aggie owned company like energy ogre?

8,555 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by texsn95
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So doing a 60month is better than letting thigbe or power agents handle it? Thanks
FDXAg
AG
Can't speak to thigbe from personal experience, but a few people on here have said they didn't enroll them in anything different or better than what's on powertochoose. Again, the current market isn't supporting the business model of a lot of these companies. Best to just do it yourself and quickly.
ftworthag02
AG
Ok thank you for the advice.
FDXAg
AG
Do a search on the forums here for recent threads regarding home energy and you'll see most have come to this conclusion. That's how I ended up abandoning EO and quickly signed up for a 5 year plan on my own. Glad I did, because rates have risen over a cent just in the 2 weeks since I locked in.

This market is disheartening. I'm like you.... Was at 8.9c/kWh and overnight my electric bill is going to go up to 13.6c/kWh.....over 50%.

But still waaaaay better than the 18.3c/kWh plan EO was going to sign me up for for 12 months. With my estimated summer usage, I'll save over $400 in the next 3 months alone by doing it myself.
hoosier-daddy
I've briefly checked powertochoose every time EO has given me a new contract and I've never been able to match it. Including the most recent one a couple months ago. The different experiences are very strange.

Could also argue that offering lower rates to companies like rather than to individuals should be illegal. But that's a different thread.
gvine07
AG
txcincinnatus said:

Are any of you guys seeing any savings with Thigbe vs. what's available with power to choose site? Signed up with Texas power agents last week because Thigbe was closed to new customers and the plan they just selected is just the first one to pop up on power to choose... So they added no value that I can see
We've been with Thigbe since they sent something out through the A&M Association of Former Students 4-7 years ago. They've had lower prices than what we could find the first 2 years so we stopped checking. One time they did the math for us to buy out of a contract to save money, and we would have never thought to look around mid-contract. It's worth the small fee to have them always looking, and find additional deals.

My father-in-law lives a couple miles from me and loves to negotiate and find deals. He's the type of guy that would never use a "3rd party" because he thinks they're all scams. He's always surprised how little we pay. I think it's funny that he's always looking and we probably have a better deal... worth it for us.
ftworthag02
AG
Just called thigbe and spoke to a very nice girl that said they can do a 4yr contract for around 14cents. Also they make a donation to a charity of your choosing (they have a list). They will notify you if they are able to bundle customers and get a lower rate from a provider.
Krussian
EO signed me up for a 12 month plan @ 20.23 c/kWh. That was hard to see coming off a 11.3 c/kWh plan. I had to sit on hold for ~45 min in order to cancel that contract and my EO membership.

After all that was wrapped up I signed up with Thigbe yesterday and got an effective rate of 14.3 c/kWh. Granted, that's with a 48 mo plan. Not great, but much better than what EO was trying to sign me up for.
ftworthag02
AG
was just on hold for 30 mins w/ EO and just got a rep. Canceling contract.
ftworthag02
AG
the kid tried to convince me to stay and said that they don't do less than one year contracts since some of those rates are over 20 cents and the best they could do was 12mos at 18cents. He wanted to know where I was going so he could make a note.
Texasclipper
AG
So how exactly does Thigbe work? Are you contracted with a Retail Electric Provider, or is Thigbe billing you? Is Thigbe a retail provider or an aggregator? How long are the contracts? Is payment autopay only?

You really can't get this info from their webpage unless you "start the process" which is kind of annoying.
FatZilla
AG
Texasclipper said:

So how exactly does Thigbe work? Are you contracted with a Retail Electric Provider, or is Thigbe billing you? Is Thigbe a retail provider or an aggregator? How long are the contracts? Is payment autopay only?

You really can't get this info from their webpage unless you "start the process" which is kind of annoying.

They aggregate customers for better rates and manage the process of signing you up for a contract with an electric provider. They manage the billing between themselves and the provider and collect from you the amount due after they receive the bill. As for term lengths, mine i believe is on a 3 year but i was sign up well before the skyrocketing rates this year. I think they are doing shorter term signups right now to play the market when it goes back down in winter/next year but you would have to actually start the process to find out whats available to you. You can call them to ask, they are responsive.
Big Al 1992
AG
If you're locked into a contract can you still shop around?
FatZilla
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Sure, if you decide to switch then you might have to pay a cancelation fee from the old provider.
JSKolache
AG
Thigbe quoted me 11.9 last month, just a data point for those interested. I'm just a bit over that on Ogre plan now, so not switching, but will get thigbe quote again when Ogre conract is up. It was a very competitive quote, worth shopping by anyone.
texsn95
AG
FatZilla said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Sure, if you decide to switch then you might have to pay a cancelation fee from the old provider.
That's the good thing with using Real Simple Energy, they'll pay for the cancellation fee if they find a lower rate than the plan they put you on and move you over.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.