Fake Grass

10,353 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Aggietaco
MsDoubleD81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was verbally when he stopped by to take measurements. He said he'd send a formal estimate via email. I told him "well that's more than DOUBLE the other 2 estimates I got!"

So I'll be curious what he sends. It's a larger local company and I figure they just don't want my job that is fairly small.
UhOhNoAgTag
Sounds like what is happening. All I needed was paverstones with crushed granite on the side of my house and a guy quoted 5K. My lawn guy did a fantastic job and it was only $1,200. Disappointed with some "Aggie Owned" businesses.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We did a portion of our backyard in 2020, basically a little wider than the width of the house, b/w the house and pool. Then the view from inside looks nice year round, and we don't deal with grass clippings in the pool.

One thing you can do if replacing grass in an area that has pop up sprinkler heads is to leave them in place instead of capping. Then if we need to "cool" the yard we can run the zones that are no longer programmed. To be honest though the heat hasn't been an issue, but we don't have kids either to play in the yard.

Only issue I've had is Bermuda and the occasional weed still comes up. The installers saw it once and said it shouldn't, but clearly it does. I should probably spray roundup more.
Take the trash out staff.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Just got another bid from a company in Cypress. More than half the price of the College Station companies!! Liked the rep, too.
KDubAg
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Just got another bid from a company in Cypress. More than half the price of the College Station companies!! Liked the rep, too.
aggiecody06
What company? I've been entertaining artificial grass as well and I'm in Magnolia
MsDoubleD81
AG
SynLawn(????) I was at Home Depot and asked to set up estimate. They were prompt getting in touch. Also used by Lowes.
MsDoubleD81
AG
For those that have done this, can you provide the brand used? I have samples of a Synpro100 and Duragrass 68. Quote uses Envirofill 12/20.

Cannot wait to get this done as my backyard is soooo muddy now.

I am comfortable with the quote from the Cypress company, but just want to make sure l do all my research on the actual turf before proceeding.
KDubAg
AG
Our installer used turf brand RealTurf. Not familiar with those. We used RealTurf MultiSport bc we have to LARGE dogs. What price per sqft are they giving you?
Ryan the Temp
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

For those that have done this, can you provide the brand used? I have samples of a Synpro100 and Duragrass 68. Quote uses Envirofill 12/20.

Cannot wait to get this done as my backyard is soooo muddy now.

I am comfortable with the quote from the Cypress company, but just want to make sure l do all my research on the actual turf before proceeding.
We were just talking about artificial turf today. Do you mind sharing the name of the company and the price/SF?
MsDoubleD81
AG
Can I DM you specifics? Don't want to publicly post?
MsDoubleD81
AG
https://g.co/kgs/bNESBR
Synlawn in Cypress. I'd prefer not to post prices publicly.

I went thru Home Depot.
KDubAg
AG
I can send you some info on the 5-6 companies I talked to and the prices. I typed up a long comment for somebody else and can copy paste to you. I don't really want to post the info here bc some would think it's stupid to spend that much. lol

At a later time I can try and figure out what they were charging per sqft when I get home.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I'd like the info on the companies. Already have your previous post
KDubAg
AG
Sent you a PM. Don't really want to share the cost publicly. :/

MsDoubleD81
AG
Got it and replied!
Ryan the Temp
AG
Thanks.

KDubAg
AG
Sent you an email. Let me know if you got it or not.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Got it. Thanks!
dragons06
AG
In the process of having artificial turf installed, will post updates once completed.
KDubAg
AG

MsDoubleD81
AG
It looks awesome!!!!
dragons06
AG
Turf install progress so far:

Due to the grade, we built up the back with lueder stone bricks to level it out more. These photos make it appear as though the fence is floating but its built on the top of a 10ft retaining wall, there's just dirt/rocks on the top that need to be cleaned off. Took about a day before the freeze to get that done, then another day to fill and compact, then today they started laying out the turf.

Brick retaining walls still need to be painted to match the house, waiting on granite to finish outdoor kitchen. Last 5% of projects seem to drag on forever.

We had all the gutters and deck drains routed under and out the retaining wall on the back of the property. Also opted to keep sprinklers installed for cooling and rinse off any pet remnants.
Aggietaco
AG
Not a huge fan of artificial myself, but those are both great applications for it.

I'm not sure I could ever get used to constant green after dealing with various shades of green, tan, and brown...
aggiecody06
I wish I could talk my wife into it.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Try having a dog whose pee kills grass and all you end up with is patches of mud!
KDubAg
AG
Here was mine before. Two Great Danes can F up a yard.

MsDoubleD81
AG
Sorry, don't mean to laugh, but finally someone I can relate to. Just signed the agreement to proceed!

BTW, I have the same turquoise chairs.
MsDoubleD81
AG
They finished my install today. Very pleased and dog already has it figured out!
Aggie09Derek
AG
New house we are about to move into

Going to turf inside the gate and backyard but would it be weird to turf the front? My wife thinks so but I am just thinking about how nice it'll be to never have to worry about mowing/weed eating that small little part.

No HOA to worry about

Aggietaco
AG
I think front yard turf is weird, but it's your home. I would go with a native grass, mulch/planted beds, or xeriscape before I went plastic.

I'm slowing coming over to the plastic grass side and would like to do my backyard at some point as well while maintaining something greenish in the front.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Thanks for your input.

Just feels weird to pay someone to come mow that little stretch multiple times a month in the summer. Have a weed eater now and seems a bit big to do just with that. I guess I can buy a small mower or just pay to have someone out.
Aggietaco
AG
If your picture is the full lawn, a manual reel mower will handle that in 15 minutes. Or you can find a neighborhood kid or pick up one of the electric options. The Ego mowers are highly reviewed and I love my Ego string trimmer and blower that replaced 2 cycle models.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.