Fake Grass

10,344 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Aggietaco
cmoney00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who has done it? What do I need to take in consideration in evaluating purchase? We have an 8 month old dog that digs, and a daughter that has a tumble track that continues to kill the grass that is now mud every time it rains and I am not sure I want to re-sod although cheaper in the moment. Any insite is appreciated.
Cmoney00
ukbb2003
I have done a little research on it. From what I have seen, the payback period is around 6-8 years and turf typically lasts around 15 years.

I have decided that I am not going to do it at my current house, but when we build I am leaning towards turf.
555-PINF
My brother did his whole backyard. Looks nice, but it gets hot as hell in the sun. I'm always barefoot and concrete in the Summer doesn't phase me, but his turf is pretty brutal unless you spray it down with water before going barefoot on it or sitting/laying on it.
Caliber
AG
The Ghost of DUCK01 said:

My brother did his whole backyard. Looks nice, but it gets hot as hell in the sun. I'm always barefoot and concrete in the Summer doesn't phase me, but his turf is pretty brutal unless you spray it down with water before going barefoot on it or sitting/laying on it.
That is the killer on the deal for me in Texas.

I think it would be awesome in a bit cooler of a place.
DeBoss
AG
Did it, in N. Texas. Have 2 dogs and 2 young kids. They have new turf that has different backings that should allow it to stay the same temperature as grass would in direct sunlight. I also have a heavily shaded yard so that makes a difference.

End of the day, I don't care about payback period. I did it to keep the house cleaner and allow my family to use the backyard every single day, rain or shine. No more mud or grass in the house.

Another consideration is that it's not maintenance free. Still have to pick up dog mess and then rinse it periodically for smell. And if you do have trees, getting leaves up a few times a year to keep in clean.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
htxag09
AG
Similar boat. We're in a townhome in the city. When moved in the side yard was pea gravel, the area around the back patio was mulch/beds. Pea gravel gets tracked everywhere and is a giant pain the ass, the mulched areas flooded every time it rained and our dog would decide that's where he needed to use the restroom, so then we'd have to worry about him tracking mud everywhere. The turf has increased our useable space multiple times over.

Never had issues with ours getting too hot. Yeah, we have a lot of shade but I'm always out there barefoot and even in the middle of the day in direct sunlight it's not at all noticeable.

I will say be aware of window reflections as they can melt some turf.
htownag99
AG
We did the synthetic turf in our backyard. We live in Houston in the Heights and have a small backyard with lots of shade, so it made sense to go synthetic because grass never stood a chance staying alive. Our backyard is 100% more useable after putting down synthetic and best decision we made in regards to our house. Prior to synthetic, our yard was a constant mudpit.
cmoney00
AG
Thanks. Appreciate the response. I do wonder about the smell. Something does seem off by having the dog go to the bathroom on plastic grass.
Cmoney00
htxag09
AG
cmoney00 said:

Thanks. Appreciate the response. I do wonder about the smell. Something does seem off by having the dog go to the bathroom on plastic grass.

They use a green sand to fill in that's treated with some kind of biocide kill any bacteria from dog waste. Obviously you still have to pick up crap, though. But we've never once noticed a smell or had to hose it down. Granted, we do live in houston and get rain fairly regularly
Dr.Rumack
We put it in the back courtyard and it's great. They put down a layer of substrate specifically for dogs. Two big dogs and no issues. We hosed it down a few times in the summer to cut down on the urine smell. We did have French drains under it so that may have helped.
Main problem was one section was in a corner with two large windows and that is a little fried from the sun.
HIGHLY recommend going with the 'shade' we have that is not neon green but has some brown blades mixed in.
Not a DIY project.
TexDill15
AG
Do they put any type of French drain under the carpet or is just laid down on top of the soil? Just wondering if the fake stuff holds water and more then regular grass.
14TheRoad
AG
We installed turf around our pool instead of normal concrete pool deck. We had irrigation installed in the turf area on its own zone so during the summer we can run the sprinklers for a few minutes to cool it off before going out there. So far I love the turf and it has a 15 year warranty. I will say, there are large differences in quality of turf and installation/prep makes a significant difference. You will get what you pay for, go cheap and it'll look like it.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Curious what kind of costs we're looking at for something like that. My yard had horrible drainage and just stays wet for days after a rain. I'm wondering if this would be a solution to that and avoid my dogs tracking mud into the house for days.
DeBoss
AG
I had my turf installed at just under $9 a sq/ft. And that was a much better price than the big companies. I had a family run business do mine and couldn't of been happier that I supported a family. Most other companies were coming in between $11-13 a sq/ft a year ago.
Caliber
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Curious what kind of costs we're looking at for something like that. My yard had horrible drainage and just stays wet for days after a rain. I'm wondering if this would be a solution to that and avoid my dogs tracking mud into the house for days.
You're going to have to fix the drainage either way to solve the problem... Fake grass won't magically solve it.

You just have to decide if you want real or fake grass after fixing the drainage issues.
DeBoss
AG
The drainage will be helped in 2 ways when going to turf. 1 is that they put down a layer of granite or crushed concrete that can absorb more water than soil can when raining. And 2, they can fix any slope issues when putting down the new infill. If you have significant problems, they can absolutely add new drains while they have everything ripped up.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Can anyone give a recommendation for Houston?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I turfed about 1200 square feet with two old dogs and it's all I can do not to turf the front yard to
KDubAg
AG
Bumped an old post..

Wanted to check to see how the turf is holding up for you guys. Especially wanted to know about dogs and pee smell. We are going to do our backyard soon. We have two Great Danes.
htownag99
AG
Our turf installed by Wakasa in June of 2019 is still looking brand new. I had them come out last summer to put down more of the green sand stuff, just as a maintenance item. Our issue is we have a 8 year old Oak tree and it's growing the roots from under the turf causing the turf to bulge
Flashdiaz
AG
htownag99 said:

Our turf installed by Wakasa in June of 2019 is still looking brand new. I had them come out last summer to put down more of the green sand stuff, just as a maintenance item. Our issue is we have a 8 year old Oak tree and it's growing the roots from under the turf causing the turf to bulge
replace with a fake Oak tree.
aggiedata
AG
Get it approved by your HOA if you have one. Our neighbors are in a battle with the HOA over it in their backyard over drainage. They put it in not knowing it needed approval.

Looks nice but I noticed moles have created lots of mole highways under it. And fire ants still found a way under it.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Someone mention this because my dogs urine is killing the Bermuda. Curious if it would work.
KDubAg
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Someone mention this because my dogs urine is killing the Bermuda. Curious if it would work.

One the reasons we're doing that. Two Great Danes with pee and running around is destroying ours.

From my understand and research, most, if not all turf installers use a special fill or sand that breaks down the urine enzymes. That cuts down on the smell. Also depending on your location and climate, if it rains frequently, that will help a lot too. If you're dry like Arizona, you will have problems.

I'm in Houston, we get good rains year long. They did say if the dog pees in the same spot, you may have to water it down a more often. We have an irrigation system that will do that.

htxag09
AG
KDubAg said:

MsDoubleD81 said:

One the reasons we're doing that. Two Great Danes with pee and running around is destroying ours.

From my understand and research, most, if not all turf installers use a special fill or sand that breaks down the urine enzymes. That cuts down on the smell. Also depending on your location and climate, if it rains frequently, that will help a lot too. If you're dry like Arizona, you will have problems.

I'm in Houston, we get good rains year long. They did say if the dog pees in the same spot, you may have to water it down a more often. We have an irrigation system that will do that.
First, as someone with artificial turf, I agree with everything you posted.

But.....you will run an irrigation system for your artificial turf?
HDeathstar
Just did our backyard. Small yard, partial sun, no pets. Recommend watching videos on installation to be educated when talking to installers. Your installation should be similar to a turf football field. proper subsurface should be built to handle drainage for proper use. They should not be just throwing down turf.

Our installation (no pets):

1) Yard already had 3-4 drains in the yard leading to a pipe that drains to the front yard curb.
2) Installer excavated 4 inches of soil to build a proper turf subsurface.
3) Remaining soil sloped to drain toward the previous drains. (water will flow through turf, hit soil and slope toward dains)
4) Installed heavy weed blocker on soil
5) Backfilled with 3-4 inches of aggregate (rock about the size of the Grey Blackstar gravel)
6) 1 inch of crushed granite on top of aggregate to provide a smoother surface for walking
7) Installed turf on top of crushed granite.
8) A nailing bend board was installed on all sides of the perimeter of the terp to nail the turf in the edges. Allows for a tight turf installation and reduces pulling on the edges.
9) installed "ecogreen infill" filler on top of turf. This is to keep the turf strands standing up. The eco fill is anti-bacterial. You can use sand type infill as well.

Pets: Pet issue is bacteria/smell. With pets, I think they layer the weed blocker differently and recommend the eco-fill product. You also have to spray it periodically with a treatment to keep the smell down. If you have a dog run area, you may want a separate piece of turf that can be replaced more often.

Maintenace:
- Infill on top of turf needs to be periodically replenished and broomed to keep the strands standing up.
- mowing is replaced with leaf blowing.
- Installer recommended having them check it every 6 months. Not sure the steps, but they said one that is maintained will last longer.
- Window glare is an issue and is listed as not covered by manufacturer guarantee.

Have had it a few months and love it.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Thank you for the detailed info. I'm in College Station with irrigation system. Yard gradually slopes to rock bed where there is a French drain.

I'd need to keep irrigation for trees and shrubs.

Does it require a special installer or can any landscaping company do it?

This was a good thread bump!
saturn
AG
Semi-related question: does anyone have any product recommendations to reduce heat reflection off Low E windows? Done some internet searching with underwhelming results.
KDubAg
AG
Irrigation to cool off the turf before guests coming over (backyard is full sun all summer) or water down pee (maybe once a week). Don't know exactly how often or not. Two Great Danes have a lot of pee.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Lol. My male Springer still lazily squats to pee. And for a long time!
AColunga07
AG
I did my backyard for several reasons mentioned (year round availability to play for kids, lower maintenance, less stuff in the pool, etc).

I've only had it a few months so I don't know how the heat issue will do. So far we absolutely love it. I had everything regraded so it drains very well. It came down really hard a couple Sunday's ago but stopped by 11:00am. It was dry by the time we got home from church and the kids played all day on it.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I just got a quote for $32/sf!!
KDubAg
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

What! Where?
MsDoubleD81
AG
College Station!
TwoMarksHand
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

My god.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.