Cost of a Shower Remodel

14,953 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chase
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like there are a million threads on this. You're either in the camp of never using it so love getting rid of it or you wouldn't buy a house without it.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
third coast.. said:

Yea we have a tub in our downstairs guest bath that is kind of random but would look to upgrade the tub in there if we roll without one in the master. Like you mentioned, I'd be worried about resale
I think most folks do not use the tub in a master and you will be fine without one.
Post removed:
by user
planoaggie123
AG
third coast.. said:

also those of you who have gone tubeless in the master, how has that gone for you?
We went tub-less in our last house.

The master bathroom (first floor) just was not big and we replaced it with a slighlty larger shower + an additional vanity for wife. In that house, we had 1 tub upstairs and it worked fine for us. We used it for kids when they were young and if wife ever wanted to take a long bath i would just grab the kids and leave the house and it worked for her.

In this house, we plan to remodel master in 3 - 5 years. I can't imagine we wont have a tub even though we dont use it a bunch. It is a nice "luxury" and we dont have space issues.
dubi
AG
third coast.. said:

Id also love some opinions on the very rough layout if anyone has those, and this is texags so everyone has opinions haha
Can you graph out the dimensions of your bathroom and and the location of the existing plumbing?

Also, do you really need 2 shower heads at different ends???? REALLY?
Post removed:
by user
planoaggie123
AG
I pulled a miracle and found the original proposal. Was not itemized (prob should have been) but here is what we did and the cost:

Demo tub and shower;
Build new 60X38 shower (including relocate shower head; frameless glass shower and door)
Build and install vanity and cabinets

$10,200

2014 pricing...not sure what the going rate is now...

Edit: this included re-doing the floor of the master bath with hexagon tile....
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
Why do a pony wall there? Why not just glass?
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
Lol. Not like that pony wall will give much privacy. Etched glass has also come a long way
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
htxag09 said:

Lol. Not like that pony wall will give much privacy. Etched glass has also come a long way

Etched glass.
Post removed:
by user
planoaggie123
AG
This makes me nervous as we are looking to re-do kitchen in about 12 months.

Seems like contractors are super busy and have been for months now and feel confident in charging premiums. Not sure when / if this remodel demand will shrink....
Post removed:
by user
planoaggie123
AG
Ugh. We need to get contractors out probably 6 - 8 months in advance to get bids and make sure we are still in the same ballpark on cost of remodel. We actually had planned to remodel in April 2020 and got bids, etc but COVID hit and we put the brakes on the project....glad i did as my industry took a hit as did my compensation....
ShinerBlonde
AG
Currently in the middle of a master bath remodel. We took out a small tiled shower to the studs. Ripped out the big corner jacuzzi tub, took out the tiled floors and the countertops. We are keeping the same layout but tiling the shower to the ceiling, putting in frameless shower glass, replacing tub with a soaker tub in a newly built deck that is being tiled to match the shower, new floor tile, new toilet, new countertops and sinks and fixtures. Bid for the project was about $13,500.

Edited to add- I can come back when completed and let you know the final cost.
Ulrich
First contractor sounds like he's booked for months and this is his way of telling you no. Or if you'll pay 50k then he'll bump someone else back.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I pulled a 60x30 jacuzzi tub out of my master in 2015 and replaced it with a walk in shower. I documented the re-do in a thread back then and overall was exceptionally happy with the result. I did put in a small pony wall on half of the shower and into that wall built a nook accessible from the outside for towels, and it created a shelf on the inside to put products, and kinda hid them from view in the rest of the bathroom.

Removed 30x60 tub which was recessed a tad into the space. Ended up after the shelf with ~28x50 of floor space.

Sold the house in 2017 on the 1st or 2nd showing.
ShinerBlonde
AG
We are in B/CS and using a local flooring company that does remodels. I will be happy to share more information when the job is complete and I can give an accurate evaluation of the costs/job completion. They are about 3/4 of the way through the work right now.
dubi
AG
ShinerBlonde said:

We are in B/CS and using a local flooring company that does remodels. I will be happy to share more information when the job is complete and I can give an accurate evaluation of the costs/job completion. They are about 3/4 of the way through the work right now.
Faith Floors?

I've heard good things about their work.
bam02
AG
ShinerBlonde said:

Currently in the middle of a master bath remodel. We took out a small tiled shower to the studs. Ripped out the big corner jacuzzi tub, took out the tiled floors and the countertops. We are keeping the same layout but tiling the shower to the ceiling, putting in frameless shower glass, replacing tub with a soaker tub in a newly built deck that is being tiled to match the shower, new floor tile, new toilet, new countertops and sinks and fixtures. Bid for the project was about $13,500.

Edited to add- I can come back when completed and let you know the final cost.

Yeah please report back. Sounds like a great price.
213 Grove
AG
Third Coast, have you gotten a quote from Baycoast Plumbing?

They do full contracting work and did some remodels for my work in the past.

Tell them the guys from Moore Supply referred you
Post removed:
by user
water turkey
We just did a complete gut remodel of our master bathroom. Down to the studs, new cabinets, new everything.

It was $21,500.

They did everything.
Post removed:
by user
ShinerBlonde
AG
Just talked to the contractor handling our bathroom remodel and he said he just received new price sheets in from his material suppliers and he is seeing up to 30% increases on their material prices for things like tile.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.