Cost of a Shower Remodel

14,865 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chase
Post removed:
by user
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
40 to 60? That is absolutely insane.
Dr. Venkman
AG
What are you doing with the window?
Post removed:
by user
Dr. Venkman
AG
No, I guess the tiler can tile around it. Not sure about privacy issues since you'd no longer have the curtains. What's behind the existing shower valve?

Do you have extra flooring or do you plan to redo all the bathroom flooring?

Where are the two shower heads going?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Dr. Venkman
AG
Are you tiling the shower ceiling? If not, what is above the bathroom?
jtraggie99
AG
For reference, my ex-wife recently had her shower and tub replaced. The shower is about that size, with an adjoining tub. They tore everything out down to the studs. I want to say they used redguard for waterproofing, but I don't remember. They also replaced and tiled around the tub. It was a drop in so they tiled the skirt and deck. All in all, I want to say she paid around 20k. She's in Plano by the way. I personally thought even that was kind of high, but maybe not.
Post removed:
by user
Dr. Venkman
AG
Since there's no attic access, you'd have to take some of the ceiling down to get the shower head to the opposite wall.

Demo - $1000 (could do yourself)
Drywall, tape, float old shower wall - $500
Plumber to move tub drain to center of new shower, use existing tub water lines to plumb valve and two shower heads, cap existing shower and drain - $3000
Carpenter to build divider wall between new shower and storage, finish out custom storage cabinet, redo base trim - $1000-2000
Tiler to build shower base, water proof, tile shower - $4000
Tiler redoing floor? - $2000
Glass door and frame - $2000

Shower valve and heads - $500-2000

I'd say $15k if you subcontract yourself.
GE
AG
Where are you located?
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
IMO, you're probably more likely to do a better waterproofing job yourself vs relying on most companies out there. Especially if you go with the products like a kerdi system.

We ripped out the builder grade garden tub and builder grade shower, including the single piece shower pan deal. Not a single bit of waterproofing was done. No redguard, waterproof tarp, nada. The shower pan was sitting directly on the subfloor and the tile for the walls was applied directly to the hardie board.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
You're pretty handy and, if I'm not mistaken, picky and critical of your finishes. So, yeah, I do think so. Hardest part for me was being really, really ocd about my tile and grout work and trying to get it perfect.

Also, going back to the company you had come out and wouldn't do a tile floor because water proofing....I may be wrong, but I didn't think your tile/grout floor was 100% waterproof. That's why there is a sloped, completely waterproofed shelf below the tile. And why the drain has a pourous material, such as rocks, to allow for that water to enter the drain.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
Ours was pretty straightforward and we spent about $8500. This was a couple years ago so I may be off a little. I can't find any of the quotes we got but want to say they ranged from $17-25k

Post removed:
by user
bam02
AG
In my last house we had a similar set up. I did all the demo and rebuilt the tub deck and built the entire shower. I used the kerdi/schluter stuff mentioned above. They sell a shower pan kit that you just trim to size and connect all the drain assembly. I had to correct a bunch of wonky studs in the wall and put up hardi backer board. Then the shower pan and the kerdi membrane. It's all pretty easy It was definitely time consuming for me but I had never done anything like this at all. I hired someone to do the tile and a glass company but I did the rest. Used pex to plumb the new tub I put in but didn't change the shower head location or anything.

40k is nuts.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
I started demo the last few days of August. I was completely done the first week of November but waited like a month on the glass because they forgot to enter my order. Everything was done, but the glass by the October. Glass is a bit of a pain as the shower has to be completely finished for them to measure to cut. And we did the same material as the countertops on the shower curb so couldn't measure until those were done. If we didn't have the extra glass delay, we would have been 6 weeks or so from demo to complete.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
That's exactly what I did. It was pretty straightforward and was cheaper than the kerdi system. But if I was doing it again I'd probably just do the kerdi for peace of mind.
jtraggie99
AG
third coast.. said:

Just read this site and it gives me more info on the process. Seems pretty straightforward. Is this about what your job was like?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/how-to-build-shower-pans/
If you are looking for guidance, the John Bridge forums are usually an excellent source for all things tile work. He's got a couple of books that are helpful as well:

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php
Post removed:
by user
bam02
AG
Yes the shower pan is styrofoam and you just trim it to size after making a template. It has the slope you need and was solid as a rock once tiled in.

Kerdi is not cheap but I trust it and it's pretty foolproof.
bam02
AG
third coast.. said:

If we wanted tile on the deck what do we do there with that deck, or do we not have tile on the floor in your scenario?

Yall are making me feel froggy. How hard was removing the large tub? What was the tineline for your job? Im about to get a sledge haha.

I'm not sure I understand the tile question. Our tub had more flat decking around It than yours. I demolished the frame of the tub surround and built a new one that reduced that wasted deck area and moved the tub towards the window so we gained like 4-5 inches of shower space. There was still tile work up on the deck in the end. I will try to find project pics when I get home. The floor was tile but we didn't change it.

Here was the original set up.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
14TheRoad
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

Since there's no attic access, you'd have to take some of the ceiling down to get the shower head to the opposite wall.

Demo - $1000 (could do yourself)
Drywall, tape, float old shower wall - $500
Plumber to move tub drain to center of new shower, use existing tub water lines to plumb valve and two shower heads, cap existing shower and drain - $3000
Carpenter to build divider wall between new shower and storage, finish out custom storage cabinet, redo base trim - $1000-2000
Tiler to build shower base, water proof, tile shower - $4000
Tiler redoing floor? - $2000
Glass door and frame - $2000

Shower valve and heads - $500-2000

I'd say $15k if you subcontract yourself.

This, subcontract yourself. We did this a few years ago with a similar setup, I think we spent about $8k for a master remodel that converted a tub and shower into a walk in two shower head setup that had a waist high pony wall and floating glass upper. I did all the demo and built the pony wall and then started calling sub contractors for quotes. We'd get 2-3 quotes for each step and then pick depending on how much we liked them and price. Your remodel will take longer this way but it will be much cheaper and you'll be involved at every step which I think will make it better.

Good luck!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Sorry.
mAgnoliAg
AG
40-60

I knew these were getting crazy but damn

Coworker got an initial quote for like 25k just for demolition on his master (entire bathroom). Then he had a guy come out and quote him 17 for the entire bathroom and I thought that was kind of high.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.