Converting ceiling fan and light switch to smart sitcges

1,922 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BEaggie08
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to install smart switches for my ceiling fan and light. Currently the switch plate has one switch for the light and one for the fan. Fan speed is controlled by pull string, no dimming or remotes.

I want the exact same thing, don't need dimming or speed control (I can still use the pulL string for that) but I do want Alexa to be able to turn the fan off and on and turn the light off and on. Any recommendations for which brand and model smart switches to use? Thanks!

PS - it looks like this now:

ETA sorry about terrible spelling in title.
drummer0415
AG
Edit number 2: not sure if you saw my post but if you did, disregard what I said. I missed the part where you said you have two switches.
DeLaHonta
AG
Do you have an existing smart home hub, meaning something like the Echo with Zigbee, Samsung SmartThings, etc, or are you wanting it to work over WiFi?
jenn96
AG
Probably over WiFi. I don't currently have a hub. I want to add Alexa functionality to several rooms but don't have any of it in place yet. I'm open to advice.
DeLaHonta
AG
Generally, I prefer Zwave or Zigbee, as I believe them to be more future-proof than a WiFi device from any company. But you have to have some kind of hub with them, as mentioned above, whereas WiFi, you do not. Zwave and Zigbee devices also create a mesh network, meaning you can add devices much farther away from your central hub and they'll still work, unlike WiFi.

Personally, I chose to go with Leviton switches myself. Leviton is a huge company in the switch world, so I don't anticipate them going under anytime soon. I prefer them over Lutron (the other massive player) because Lutron's offering requires you to have a dedicated hub just for Lutron switches, whereas Leviton Zwave/Zigbee switches can connect to any hub with those radios. I use a Samsung SmartThings hub to control my Leviton switches and my Konnected alarm system.

If you want to stick with WiFi and not get a hub, Leviton makes WiFi switches, too.

I'd generally stay away from GE or smaller companies, just because you never know what support/software will be like 5 years down the road of the companies go under. Any WiFi switch will require you to have a company-specific phone app to connect them to your router, and I don't know if they'll still work if the company goes under or stops supporting the app. When Lowe's stopped supporting their Iris platform, many of their devices became useless and couldn't be connected to other platforms.
nhamp07
AG
Just get an echo plus with a hub built in so you dont have to go over wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Echo-Plus-2nd-built/dp/B0794W1SKP
OldArmyBrent
AG
Is the Echo hub a zigbee only hub? Or does it have z-wave as well?

I have a combination of z-wave and WiFi switches in my house. The z-wave are Leviton and work great - never a problem - but are a bit more expensive. WiFi is a mash up of Tuya based switches. They work just fine, even if there's a delay sometimes. Tuya does the firmware inside of most of the WiFi switches on Amazon (most use the same cheap WiFi chip) and offer the OEM access to the Smart Life app or a branded version of the Smart Life app. All work with Smart Life or Tuya apps, so find the switch that looks the best. I have had really good luck with Martin Jerry brand. Look like normal decora switches and have lasted a while.
DeLaHonta
AG
Echo Plus is Zigbee only. M
Flashdiaz
AG
I got some wifi switches from costco a couple of months back. After initially setting it up, I haven't had to mess with it and it works great with Alexa.
aggielax48
AG
The TPLinks have been rock solid for me. Don't need a hub. For a simple setup I think using WiFi is just fine.

TP Link HS200

Make sure you have a neutral wire as well. If you house is newish you do.
aTm2004
AG
I've done this for a lot of our primary switches. For a fan, be sure you get a switch that can handle a fan. Not all can. Most are for lights only. GE has a good option for fan switches. For the lights, I went with Zooz due to my house having a lot of 3 and 4-way switches, and Zooz didn't require any add-on switches for it to work. Just some wiring that my electrician brother knocked out for a 6-pack.

For simple Alexa prompts, you don't really need a hub, but if you want some fancy stuff like lights coming on when you arrive home, you'll need a hub. I've had the Smartthings Hub for a couple of years and have been pretty happy with it.
hurricanejake02
AG
Alexa devices, Smartthings Hub, and GE wall switches are the way I've gone in my house, with good results.

The GE fan switch is roughly the same price as the on/off light switch - go with it and have fan speed control on the wall.
DeBoss
AG
I use Wemo for both lights and fans in multiple rooms. They also have bulbs and smart plugs that all use the same app and work well with Alexa.
BEaggie08
AG
I've had WeMo stuff (bulbs and outlet) and would NOT recommend. Would not stay connected. Maybe the switches are better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.