Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Quarantine Home Repair/Maintenance Thread

9,255 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CFTXAG10
lawless89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
-Finished some dry beds in the back yard with mulch and river rock
-Put up shiplap in the nursery for our upcoming first child
-Replaced dining room light fixture
-Installed cabinet pull out trash cans

Wife came up with 8 more tasks. This will never end.
FincAg
AG
Built outdoor preschool picnic table, indoor preschool table and two chairs, 11 ft fort with side rope ladder and three swings, 6 ft jenga set, enough scraps of wood the boys look like they could make their own Brooklyn Bridge in miniature.

Off to lay some sod, weed the beds, mulch, mow, edge and fertilize.

Later on Mrs wants some hanging flower boxes for the kitchen windows, and the garage will need to be reorganized.
Gone Camping
AG
I'm still working and we already homeschool but things are still really different and we've been able to get a lot done. A few of our projects since the plague started:
-Built two raised bed square foot gardens. Went from 20 square feet to 90 and seeds are coming up awesome!
-Sprayed and fertilized pasture
-Replaced carb in the 4 wheeler and got it running again
-Mrs Auxneer is painting an armoire and has already cleaned out the little auxnette's closet and rearranged her bedroom
-Tried out so many new recipes and getting fewer steps every day...
-Ended up with a bottle calf. That's a job but it's something else for everyone to do.
lexofer
AG
Finished my big project for the quarantine. By far the biggest welding project I've attempted.

https://instagr.am/p/B-w3ubsp8q6
Gary79Ag
AG
auxneer said:

I'm still working and we already homeschool but things are still really different and we've been able to get a lot done. A few of our projects since the plague started:
-Built two raised bed square foot gardens. Went from 20 square feet to 90 and seeds are coming up awesome!
-Sprayed and fertilized pasture
-Replaced carb in the 4 wheeler and got it running again
-Mrs Auxneer is painting an armoire and has already cleaned out the little auxnette's closet and rearranged her bedroom
-Tried out so many new recipes and getting fewer steps every day...
-Ended up with a bottle calf. That's a job but it's something else for everyone to do.

Been there, done that many a time as a kid growing up on a farm...awesome every time!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Time to update the wet bar...

Thankfully my wife allows this to be 100% my space. As with most of the house. It had ugly wall paper and out dated fixtures.

So here's the before.

Pulling wall paper down

Scraped popcorn and replacing light fixture

Ripped out laminate top and old sink

butcher block too to be installed

Will stain it dark and replace sink/faucet.

Painting cabinets a navy blue, then gray Paint on walls, and a white tile backsplash.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Easter weekend work.

Painted cabinet base.

Also.
Sanded doors and have them ready to be painted.

Conditioned the butcher block and stained.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Wall is painted

Cabinets are done (thanks to the help of my 3 run old daughter and her duplo drill)

Counter top has first coat of tung oil on it. WIll do a second coat tomorrow.

Have a piece of quarter round on top to see how the bright white will look. Pretty pleased with it.

Will cut to size and install next weekend hopefully, then I can tile the back splash and build the shelves, install the light fixture.

Haven't found a sink I like yet.. will probably cap the supply lines for the near future until I find one that I really like.
Cromagnum
AG
Replaced crappy shrubs in front flower bed from when we bought the house with bottle brush shrubs.

Pruned wax leave lagustrums and two very tall bushes in the corners of my house.

Filled in a few bare spots in the lawn with soil.
Aggieangler93
AG
Replaced outlet in kitchen that almost melted for some reason.
Painted majority of one bedroom yesterday.
Painting rest of that one this evening.
Starting on second bedroom later this week.

Next up is a wood privacy fence that's needed replacing for about 4 years now. Need to get 2x4s and pickets dropped by pallet onto the driveway now that my fractured elbow has healed.

Garage needs work, as always, but I am working full time from home.....and I am the cook!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
bobinator
AG
I spent most of last week pulling out a row of mexican petunia which had gotten completely out of control in the back of our lot (basically had just been growing unchecked for like three years.)

We just bought the house last year and I wanted to replace the fence back there before pulling up the plants because the dog could get through the old fence.

Now I need to dig up a few stumps this week and hopefully if the weather holds I'm going to rent a tiller from home depot to till some parts of the yard that need it before I put some sod down.
jamesf
AG
I replaced my fence between my house and garage. It was a pain because all of the posts were set into my patio. I had to sawcut the concrete around the posts, then break up the concrete so that I could place the new posts in the exact same location.

Gary79Ag
AG
jamesf said:

I replaced my fence between my house and garage. It was a pain because all of the posts were set into my patio. I had to sawcut the concrete around the posts, then break up the concrete so that I could place the new posts in the exact same location.

Great job, can you come over and do mine now...
Tree Hugger
AG
Ripped everything out of the laundry room except the drywall. We had some open shelving in there that the builder installed, but replaced those with cabinet lowers/butcher block countertop, and upper cabinets on one side. One opposite side we added cabinet lowers, and then open shelving about that. We stacked the W/D and added a tall pantry style cabinet. Opposite the W/D there is a cubby for our upright freezer and I added two 24"x40" shelves above that. We have storage for days now.

The only thing I don't like is the vinyl plank flooring we put in, it was difficult to click/lock together and some of the pieces are already trying to separate now that there is some foot traffic in there.
JobSecurity
AG
I've been working on updating the kitchen - painting all the cabinets and installing new hardware. We are almost done with that and got a new dishwasher and microwave delivered yesterday.

Dishwasher install went fine, no real issues.

Microwave was being a pain. Couldn't for the life of me get the templates to stay where I needed them but finally got everything drilled and ready to hang it. Call the wife in to help with the top screws and cord.

Somehow in the process of hoisting the microwave up there my knee hit a knob on the gas range which proceeded to ignite and promptly set the drilling templates on fire which I had placed on top of the stove. So my wife throws water all over the stove and I wrangle the microwave back to the floor and start smacking the remaining fire, sending ashes all over the kitchen and setting off the smoke alarms. At least the kids didn't wake up. Still better than paying home Depot $125 to install it.

Anyway it's installed now and looks much better. I'll post a before and after once I finish the last set of cabinet doors.
Sazerac
Gary79Ag
AG
Quote:

Anyway it's installed now and looks much better. I'll post a before and after once I finish the last set of cabinet doors.
Will those also include the burning of the template on the stovetop and the aftermath...
Canyon99
We wanted to change the location of entry into our bedroom to give it a different feel as the door was near our guest bathroom. We had two closets in our entry way that share a wall with our master bedroom so we took one closet out and placed the bedroom door there. Then I walled off the original door location.

Pic of old closet in entry without door.

Frame and wall removed with door installed and sheet rock up.

Final product with faux beam up to match other beams in nearby locations. I've since installed a matching five panel door on the closet to the left.

Hallway where the old master bedroom door was prior to work.

Finished it up by building a new entry way table as requested by my wife.

Also built a desk for my daughters' room as they needed it for home schooling with the shelter in place. Will be installing new wood double doors on front entry of house when they arrive in late April.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Well my house flooded last week. Damn plastic nut on toilet supply failed. Insurance is going to pay to put in new carpet in most of the house. So we're going to go ahead and change colors. My wife and kids are at home painting right now while there's no carpet in the house. She's been itching to paint, but she definitely wanted a more grey color, and we had tan carpets before and she didn't want that. Decided she'd just wait to paint until we got around to replacing carpet. Well here we are.
bobinator
AG
I'm going to rent a tiller from home depot to break up some parts of the yard and run through the beds in the front before we plant anything new. Hoping the rain holds off today and I might give it a go in the morning.
Sazerac
AG
Went on a power washing spree this week.
Pergola looks almost new again.
Daughter is finishing up driveway.
c-jags
cclearman said:

Went on a power washing spree this week.
Pergola looks almost new again.
Daughter is finishing up driveway.

We borrowed one for our porch project and stripping our wood deck. Then did windows, sidewalk, and driveway.

That stuff is addictive as crack and probably going to buy one.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
got the bar top cut to size and installed.

New light installed as well.

Going to start on tile this weekend. Then build the floating shelves and re stock.

Tiles is in

Thin set all cleaned up. Will let it set for the week, and grout next weekend.

Tomorrow is the shelves
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Shelves are in.

Went ahead and put everything back out, just to see how it all fits. Will looks good.

Tile needs grout and then to hang the obligatory Benjamin Knox taps print... I had that in a box for 15 years. I figure the bar is as good a place as any, and it actually looks good with the new bar look.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Done for now

Still need to find a sink and faucet, and then a fridge, Will re paint the interior trim someday.
Sazerac
AG
Nice work

How about a horizontal mirror instead of the picture?
scd88
AG
So far, I have installed 8' of cheap Lowe's upper and lower cabinets in the garage. Added a laminate countertop.

Power washed the patio and entry way (got our door refinished).

Now I'm looking to pull all of my landscaping out of the front beds - just too big and close to the house.
ravingfans
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Here are the plans I developed if you want them just a few tweaks after I started building (like just one door).

Looks great! What tool are you using for your drawing/planning?
ravingfans
AG
Gary79Ag said:

In the process of finally installing a vent hood over the stove area.

Totally gutted and renovated the kitchen about 6 years ago, but haven't installed a vent hood since then, until now as it took that long for the wife to decide what kind of vent hood to install. Initially wanted me to build one but couldn't decide on what kind and finally decided to but one on-line from WayFair last week.

Thing that pisses me off is that the roofer installed a new roof back then and I got them to install the roof jack for the vent hood. However, when I got in the attic the other day, I discovered they didn't cut thru the decking when they installed it so I have to determine where to cut the needed opening in the decking.

Was the roofer a storm chaser? Why not have them come out and fix their mistake?
ravingfans
AG
ravingfans said:

Gary79Ag said:

In the process of finally installing a vent hood over the stove area.

Totally gutted and renovated the kitchen about 6 years ago, but haven't installed a vent hood since then, until now as it took that long for the wife to decide what kind of vent hood to install. Initially wanted me to build one but couldn't decide on what kind and finally decided to but one on-line from WayFair last week.

Thing that pisses me off is that the roofer installed a new roof back then and I got them to install the roof jack for the vent hood. However, when I got in the attic the other day, I discovered they didn't cut thru the decking when they installed it so I have to determine where to cut the needed opening in the decking.

Was the roofer a storm chaser? Why not have them come out and fix their mistake?

Also, what vent hood did you go with? We are looking at them now
ravingfans
AG
Canyon99 said:

Final product with faux beam up to match other beams in nearby locations. I've since installed a matching five panel door on the closet to the left.

Where did you get your faux beam? We've been looking at the online, and hard to tell how authentic they will look. Yours looks nice in the photo--are you happy with it?
Canyon99
I made them myself. Do a search for DIY faux wood beam and you'll find many examples. Mine are made with 1x8s and I rough them up and carve them quite a bit for a distressed look. We like them and I get many compliments with quite a few people thinking they are the real thing. Not a new concept as I've seen builders wrap headers in a similar method.
Gary79Ag
AG
Nope, not a storm chaser, he was just too busy to meet my timeline so I did it myself. Wan't bad, just a bit of a pain...

And we went with a ZLINE 36" Wooden Wall Mount Range Hood in Antigua and Walnut, 321AR-36

ZLINE 36" Wooden Wall Mount Range Hood
scd88
AG
Just installed a Ring doorbell; although that's not a big project. I'm gonna have to get used to the notifications.
sellthefarm
AG
Can you post a pic from the back showing the structure? I've been thinking about redoing ours and haven't decided how I want to do it.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.