Home Improvement
Sponsored by

DIY Back Patio....kinda.....sorta

23,744 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by passerby82
lawless89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you know what color/type of fence stain you have? It's time for me to restain my fence and I really like that look.
txag2008
AG
Ready Seal. Pecan is the color
chach
AG
Pretty cool project you got going here. Everything looks like it's coming together nicely. Thanks for posting about it.

Regarding your post about the ceiling fan lens being cracked, props to you for seemingly keeping your cool. Texags would have edited half of any sentence I posted on here if that had happened to me.
txag2008
AG
I've been slacking on the updating once everyone's lives have been flipped upside down due to covid. That's not to say that thing haven't been progressing through.

3/31/2020: As mentioned previously, the entire house was in need of a new paint job (trim, brick, everything). There was also some soffit repair and replacing the front column I took care of before the painters did their magic work.

Progress pictures of the painting. If anyone cares, trim was SW Site White and brick was SW Gray Clouds.

Builder93
AG
Aggietaco said:

Hate to see muddy boot prints on installed material. Lazy a-holes.
It's always great to have people criticize something like that when the whole point in going straight to the sub is to get it done cheaper. You want it perfect, pay perfect prices to the trades. When I used to do this, I tried to keep mud off of materials, but sometimes when your back is tired, it won't stop raining and you are trying to get out of a job with some money to feed your family, a little mud on a board is your last thought.
OldArmyBrent
AG
This looks great. And bonus is that I now know what a lookout is. Been dealing with the sagging soffits, too.

Keep up the good work.
justsomeguy
AG
I just got done building a 13 X 22 patio cover with large 12" beams and columns that are wrapped 12X12 paneling. It looks incredible. Not sure why you felt the need to drill into your Crete. It makes it weaker at that point. They make stabilizing braces for this application where you mount directly on top. That's what I did and it worked like a charm. Now to figure out how to get pics uploaded.
justsomeguy
AG
I also wired the ceiling with speakers for my outdoor tv and receiver. That is a must for any outdoor build.
kcag96
AG
Details on the ceiling fan? We need a new one.
txag2008
AG
justsomeguy said:

I just got done building a 13 X 22 patio cover with large 12" beams and columns that are wrapped 12X12 paneling. It looks incredible. Not sure why you felt the need to drill into your Crete. It makes it weaker at that point. They make stabilizing braces for this application where you mount directly on top. That's what I did and it worked like a charm. Now to figure out how to get pics uploaded.
Not sure what which part you're referring to.

justsomeguy said:

I also wired the ceiling with speakers for my outdoor tv and receiver. That is a must for any outdoor build.
I intentionally didn't wire the ceiling for speakers. I didn't want to have to find a place to put an a/v receiver outside or run it inside. I went with a soundbar that connects straight to the tv and is also connectable via bluetooth.

kcag96 said:

Details on the ceiling fan? We need a new one.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Kensgrove-72-in-LED-Indoor-Outdoor-Espresso-Bronze-Ceiling-Fan-with-Remote-Control-YG493OD-EB/301162064. I'd definitely recommend it. There are higher end and better fans out there, but this is a great bang for your buck. FYI: the controls (fan speed up/down and turn light on/off/dim) is all from the remote. Even though this is a fan/light, it only functions off a single wall switch.

txag2008
AG
Was it lazy of them? yes
Does that make them a-holes? no

I fully realize you get what you pay for and would have been much more upset if I was using (and paying $$$) for a turnkey project.
Aggietaco
AG
Builder93 said:

Aggietaco said:

Hate to see muddy boot prints on installed material. Lazy a-holes.
It's always great to have people criticize something like that when the whole point in going straight to the sub is to get it done cheaper. You want it perfect, pay perfect prices to the trades. When I used to do this, I tried to keep mud off of materials, but sometimes when your back is tired, it won't stop raining and you are trying to get out of a job with some money to feed your family, a little mud on a board is your last thought.
Understood that guy didn't give a **** about mud on a panel, hence why it was still there when he left his finished work for someone else to take care of later.
txag2008
AG
4/5/2020: Painting is all done. I hung the TV & soundbar just in time to watch MM and the Masters.....oh wait....

Got the new gutters on
ABATTBQ11
AG
That looks infinitely better
Aggietaco
AG
Need an 85" set up there.

Looks great, excellent job.
txag2008
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

That looks infinitely better
Appreciate it

Aggietaco said:

Need an 85" set up there.

Looks great, excellent job.
I know I know...
It's a 58". Plenty big for viewing, but does look small on the wall.
txag2008
AG
4/13/20: Concrete overlay begins

Limestone based base-coat that got troweled on top of the existing slabs. They took a diamond blade & angle grinder to existing hairline cracks to use as 'joints' on the final finish. You can see these and previous expansion joints in the pictures. You can also see the thicker parts of the coating that weren't quite dry. Total thickness was probably 1/4-3/8".

Time Lapse: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tAAmAUFsJ1xcPsBEf4BWdpDVBJ-ytSWv
txag2008
AG
4/14/20: Concrete Overlay Day 2

Another limestone layer goes down the the freehand 'grout/mortar' joints are freehand drawn in.

Shot from above off all the 'rocks'

In process with the coloring/staining

Time Lapse: https://drive.google.com/file/d/119r2IIyyWKl4umVlMS-5T1ocL651Z2Ur/view?usp=sharing
toolshed
AG
My back hurts just seeing them in those pictures. I can't imagine having to do that job, bent over most of the day!!
ChoppinDs40
AG
what kind of process is that limestone and carved stone look is that?

Did they just hand trowel a 1/2" layer of concrete then carve it up by hand.

Clean it and then come back and put that color mix in it individually?

Damn that looks good.

i really like that look..
txag2008
AG
It's all limestone based, similar to concrete, but uses limestone as opposed to portland cement (that my be way off, but that's my understanding).

The first coat was a pretty thin base coat. They went back the next day with a 3/8-1/2" overlay. They let it dry for a few hours before going in and freehanding the grount lines. They let it dry for a few hours and applied the dye/pigment with sponges. They used a few different colors (grays/tans/browns).

It's no substitute for flagstone or natural rock, but I didn't have that choice given my height to the back door threshold.

I used https://limecoatdfw.com and they were great to work with. Allied Outdoor Solutions (big company with locations in all the majors in TX) has a similar product/solution that they call Carvestone, but was a 40% price increase for my job.
ChoppinDs40
AG
txag2008 said:

It's all limestone based, similar to concrete, but uses limestone as opposed to portland cement (that my be way off, but that's my understanding).

The first coat was a pretty thin base coat. They went back the next day with a 3/8-1/2" overlay. They let it dry for a few hours before going in and freehanding the grount lines. They let it dry for a few hours and applied the dye/pigment with sponges. They used a few different colors (grays/tans/browns).

It's no substitute for flagstone or natural rock, but I didn't have that choice given my height to the back door threshold.

I used https://limecoatdfw.com and they were great to work with. Allied Outdoor Solutions (big company with locations in all the majors in TX) has a similar product/solution that they call Carvestone, but was a 40% price increase for my job.

Perfect! I thought it was carvestone and only Allied really does "that". Looks pricey though but I always assumed it wasn't rocket science. The limestone can take much higher PSI.

What did they charge sqft? Did they have other options too (like using the rubber stamps to make a hardwood look or a traditional "paver" look)?
txag2008
AG
It wasn't cheap. It was right at $8/SF (compared to ~$12 for carvestone).

They also do a paver/tile look, but I'm pretty certain it's not done with a stamp.
txag2008
AG
4/15 - 4/17: 'Grout' lines were refilled a bit so they weren't as deep. Gave everything a few hours to dry and put a couple coats of sealer on.

Time Lapse: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tAAmAUFsJ1xcPsBEf4BWdpDVBJ-ytSWv

I finally got around to wrapping the columns to hide the stand-off brackets. In order for the 1x6 to fit snug against the pillars, I had to notch/route out the back side of the wood to fit around the bracket

Also installed a 48' light string (24 sockets with 2' spacing) around the perimeter of the patio. I got lucky and it just so happens the distance I needed was just a hair over 48'. I found some neat s/s eye screws that allows the s/s cable to hug the beams as close as possible. On one end I swagged the cable to itself and on the other end I used a barrel turnbuckle to get it tight. The lights plug into a smart plug that I have scheduled.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Loving this setup more and more
ChoppinDs40
AG
Ohhh that cable pulled taut and then the lightes zip tied?

Me likey. You better get some mouth hugs for this.
txag2008
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

Ohhh that cable pulled taut and then the lightes zip tied?

Correct. I pulled the cable as tight as I could before swagging it to the turnbuckle. I then tighten the turnbuckle just a bit to snug it up. You can see that I still have ~3" more in the turnbuckle that I could tighten if needed.

I then zip-tied the light cord to the s/s cable. It makes for a clean look and can hardly even see the cable.
ABATTBQ11
AG
It's also the best way to do this because it puts no strain on the cord.
txag2008
AG
That's exactly why I did it. There's no other way I would've been able to get the cord to hug the beam as it is now.

If there's anything I have handled, it's mounting lights. It's basically just a permanent christmas light string.
txag2008
AG
5/9/20: Began digging the edging around the patio. The intent for this is to use it to run the relocated sprinkler heads as well as add a clean border to separate the grass just running right up to the slab.

ChoppinDs40
AG
Whatcha putting in there? River rock? That would look nice. More texture.

Or just mulch and and some annuals?
txag2008
AG
Stay tuned
txag2008
AG
5/17/20: Sprinklers relocated, weed barrier down, edging in place.

This is what 1100lbs of Mexican Beach Pebbles looks like. I had estimated that I would need ~900. I originally bought & loaded up 600 lbs, but it didn't make it very far. Went back and got 500 more.

I won't ever be confused for a landscape architect, but I think it makes for a nice accent around the perimeter.

ChoppinDs40
AG
Looks great.

Is that the worlds largest camping chair or the worlds smallest charcoal grill?

Now you just gotta get that grass going.
txag2008
AG
Thanks

Haha, tiny grill. The boy loves cooking on it.

I battled with grub worms last year in the backyard, plus a couple months of work got it all trampled down. It's starting to look better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.