DIY Back Patio....kinda.....sorta

22,749 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by passerby82
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few months back we started on a project to redo/add to the back patio. I'm going to attempt to document the journey as best as I can and with as many pictures as possible. I'll try to break each post down into a different milestone along the way.

Background: Ever since moving in, the back patio has been a bit of an eyesore. Yes it provided shade, and kept things dry (the dry part was kinda hit or miss), but it was a bit cavernous and closed things off from the kitchen view looking out.

In the spring of '19 I had a few patio companies come out and they gave bids for a gable patio addition that ranged from $30-50k. In some cases these prices didn't cover the full cost (excluded concrete/roofing/painting/elec/etc). I knew this was more than I wanted to spend. I came to the realization that I should have been talking to a framer instead of a full turnkey patio company. The plan is not for an elaborate outdoor oasis with a full-blown kitchen. I don't want to over-build the patio compared to the house. Nice/Simple/Functional is the goal.

In June '19 we got slammed with a bad storm. This meant new decking/roof and I knew this was my window to get the back patio done too.

I got a recommendation for a framer from a good friend. The framer came and looked at the job and gave me a more than reasonable quote to do the framing/trim/siding/cedar T&G. (also by this point of the design I had added a shed roof to the left of the gable). The final sketch I came up with is what he worked off of.

The plan was going to use the following 2 pictures as a general guideline.

More to come........
Dr.Rumack
Interesting
txag2008
AG
10/23/2019: I begin/end teardown, took all of about an hour. Was pretty rotted out in spots.

Yes, the whole patio fit in the back of my pickup
p_bubel
Dr. Doctor
txag2008
AG
10/28/2019: I had scheduled with the framer to begin on 11/4. Was thrown a curveball when on the morning of 10/28 I get a call saying they wanted to start a full week earlier. I was pretty leery about the forecasted rain during the week, but 2 hours later the crew showed up at the house.

Further tear-off begins.

First load of wood shows up

Up we go!

As expected, the clouds rolled in and by the end of the day the rain was impending. I scramble to Home Depot and drop $150 on tarps. Not amused....

By the end of the day the soffit was torn off, gable framing up and the shed portion started (and tarps).

Day 1 Timelapse: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o0zxCdeWdzxaXJazGAk5Eu_-dlxCU7wY
Dr.Rumack
Dayum that's quick.
mAgnoliAg
txag2008
AG
10/29/2019: The previous evening/night only brought light rain. The tarping did a decent job, but ran into issues where the existing soffit had been removed and there was no place for the water to shed completely off the roof. Not a huge deal.

The shed roof got extended up and over over from the new gable to the existing roofline. In my opinion they built the pony wall by the chimney too high. This required the angle of the shed roof to be less on the back side of the chimney to ensure the roofline aligned at the top. Not what I would have wanted, but it can't be seen from the ground and there's still greater than a 2/12 pitch.

Decking begins

By the end of day 2, the decking was complete on the gable & framing complete for the shed roof.
Day 2 Timelapse: https://drive.google.com/open?id=152WtavLTraflyz1yyHpivKh_FP0fF2Dm.

The below picture was taken near the end of the day, just before the left side of the gable was filled in with a roll of tar paper.

The rain started in the evening and pretty soon after the leaking issues began. The tarping was done as well as possible, but the water was leaking around each of the studs, continuing down to the top plate where the soffit had been removed.

The rain was pretty hard & steady, starting around 8pm. Signs of visible leaking started showing up in the living room & garage.

A trip up to the attic quickly revealed the issue. We made a mad dash to the kitchen to gather up shallow tuperware that could fit in the tight spaces. I then spent the next 2-3hrs laying down in the corner of the attic emptying tuperware into a 5gallon bucket. I had a hodgepodge of 6 tuperware containers sitting on the top plate in the attic. In hard rain, some of the containers needed emptying every ~5-7min. Keep in mind, this was all in a low pitch corner of the attic, making movements pretty difficult. Between emptying containers, my time was spent hoping & praying the rain would stop while keeping a close eye at the radar. Leaking video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xvydOA8idK-hQd7FXkCY9NyKJOrUEKso

I eventually got smart and set up a camera in the attic for me to monitor water levels and know when they needed emptying. The rain eventually let up at 1am, but I still set my alarm to go off every 45min to make a trip up to the attic to check on things. Over the course of that evening/night, I filled up 3-4 full 5gal buckets that would have otherwise gone straight into the attic/living space. I now suffer from PTSD anytime I hear water dripping...

My live feed

Leaking was minimized to these 2 areas.

KDubAg
AG
Oh man. Sucks about the rain. I will be doing something like this once our old house sells. I'll be watching this thread. Hope it stays dry and they finish quick.
bmc13
AG
that really sucks about the rain.
Matsui
Aggietaco
AG
KDubAg said:

Oh man. Sucks about the rain. I will be doing something like this once our old house sells. I'll be watching this thread. Hope it stays dry and they finish quick.
You do know this is all in the past, right?
txag2008
AG
Hah yes this is all in the past. I'll continue to catch back up to the present with more updates.

And yes.....things are all dry now.
KDubAg
AG
Aggietaco said:

KDubAg said:

You do know this is all in the past, right?

I see it now. I hope it's dry now. Lol
txag2008
AG
10/30/2019: I went and rented a small sump pump to use on the roof. Large pools of water had formed between the joists where the decking hadn't gone down yet. Got everything up top dried off pretty quickly.

11/1/2019: While the framers stayed away, I mocked up a few 6" LED wafer lights to check spacing and see how many I would need. As a result, I determined that I could get by with 4 6" ones for the gable & 2 4" for the shed. All of the lights will be 5way color tunable using an onboard switch and will be put on a dimmer.
I went ahead and ran romex for the can lights, fan, 2 new plugs, and a flood light to be mounted on the fascia of the far corner of the add-on.

jaggiemaggie
AG
Watching
txag2008
AG
11/2/2019: The decking got finished up.

Come on guys...that's a pretty rough looking cricket. Gonna have to be re-done.

Since the new concrete wasn't in place at the time of framing I had them put in temp corner supports that were out of the way of where the new concrete is to be poured. (this may look confusing now, but will make sense later)
Aggietaco
AG
The thought of not having that gable permanently supported bothers me, even though I know it's fine and well now. For your future construction of patio covers, it's just as easy to go ahead and pour a pier/footing for the column that your concrete guys can pour up to when they place the slab.
txag2008
AG
Noted. I wasn't the biggest fan of doing it like this either, but due to the timing of things it was the route we took.
txag2008
AG
11/4/2019: As I mentioned in the beginning, a big driver for the timing of the patio was that I needed new roofing/decking as a result of a storm.

Roofing begins (and almost finishes). The crew showed up around 8 and within 1-2hrs all of the sheathing had been torn off. Going back with radiant-barrier OSB and Timberline HD shingles.

New decking & synthetic underlayment is all down.

All done after the first day, with the exception of shingling the new ridge vent and some vent/boot work. Feels good to be entirely dried in.

Can't tell much, but here is the roofing timelapse: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FON5FgaNQWoyICSaruQe2WIYccAAVENn
txag2008
AG
11/26/19: Using the below picture as a reference, there were 3 sprinkler heads shown at each red circle. I knew I'd have to dig them up and relocate them towards the yard to get out of the way of the upcoming slab extension.

The digging begins and I start to uncover what all is located where. You can see in the following picture the digging that was needed. You can also see the preliminary new slab location I laid out with orange string as well as the fancy 'pillar location' with the square cardboard.

txag2008
AG
The next steps were to finalize my concrete contractor and to find a mason to do a bit of brick repair (where existing flashing was mortared into the chimney brick) & fill-in (where the roofline changed).

Concrete Details: The existing concrete in place is exposed aggregate. There is about 330SF of existing concrete. In a perfect world, I would go extend the slab and then lay mortared flagstone over everything. I love the look of this, but it's not an option since the threshold of the door is only ~1/2 above the existing slab. There's no room to go 'up'.

It never made sense to me to remove the existing slab since it was in good shape. Ultimately I'm shooting to add a new 7x18' (126SF) extension and then skimcoast/resurface both new & old (470SF)

Brick/Mason Details
  • Red area: Remove soldier course & 2 horizontal courses. Lay 1 solider course to match the left side.
  • Yellow area: Repoint the brick where the existing flashing was mortared in
  • Orange area: remove soldier course. Install lintel. Lay horizontal courses with one soldier course at top

mAgnoliAg
AG
Would have been a good idea to move the pipe and everything instead of just the heads.
txag2008
AG
I don't disagree
jbryan10
AG
30-50k through a patio company, but where did you end up cost-wise going this route?
txag2008
AG
About half the cost.
lotsofhp
AG
Love Timberline HD Charcoal.
txag2008
AG
Close. Went with Pewter Gray
lotsofhp
AG
txag2008 said:

Close. Went with Pewter Gray

Oh also very nice. I love when people go with some of the lesser used colors. Looks great on your place
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I would talk to Chris at http://www.texasconcretedesign.com/PhotoGallery/AlbumID/10298-618/Page/0

He may have an overlay or coating option to bring the old slab and the new slab together.
txag2008
AG
12/16/19: Progress slowed a bit for a few weeks as Christmas light season came into play.

Concrete guys came & cleared the grass for the slab extension. I had them flare-out/round the corner to accommodate for the large post base I was planning for. 2 piers were dug where the columns will end up going.

txag2008
AG
12/18/19: The concrete crew was in no hurry to get the concrete down on Monday (12/16) since there were a couple nights of freezing temps in the previous days. They came back and quickly tamped sand, laid the the rebar work, and doweled into the existing slab.

World's smallest concrete truck showed up to deliver, pretty great. (ended up taking 2.5 cu yd)

Pouring

Concrete timelapse: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zw0eY9a7ohuhxYNPGBpUoBipEyv0-Z0a
txag2008
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Would have been a good idea to move the pipe and everything instead of just the heads.
If there is ever a leak or break of any type, I can always re-route the pipe around the new slab at that time. To me it didn't make sense to reroute now vs maybe (doubtfully) needing to reroute later.
Gary79Ag
AG
Loved the siesta times in the video...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.