1939 Craftsman Remodel and Addition

11,691 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggietaco
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Austin. I bought a one-off AW400 from HomeDepot. It was expensive as hell. $800 for a 3x3 double hung.

wmitchell
AG
Wow! That is alot. Did that include install?
evan_aggie
AG
No.

Full "simulated" divided light with the separation strips within the pane 3x2 and wood exterior 3/4 inch dividers.

I think it was more for a custom order but even standard size I think was $650-$700!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Consumer Reports likes the Pella better because of the performance at lower temperatures which is less important in Texas. Pella are usually more expensive but we got a sale or something so they were cheaper
wmitchell
AG
I do think you can beat that with Pella Lifestyle series. If interested in pricing, call Pella Austin and ask for Chris Aguero. Call your home a remodel.

Did you install your own window or have a contractor do it?
wmitchell
AG
Pella also has a better warranty than Andersen. The 400 series of Andersen does have some more options than the Pella Lifestyle series, but it looks to be an increased cost.

I think you made the right choice with Pella. Great brand, great value, great window - especially for your style of home.
evan_aggie
AG
Contractor but I'd like to try my hand at it after watching them. Sloppy leveling at first that we had to redo.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The next major decision is the pool. We have 4 quotes:

1. Cody Pools - 10 x 18 - x price
2. Anthony and Sylvan - 20 x 16 - x + 9k
3. Majestic Poolscapes - 18 x 15 - x + 9k
4. Texas Tiny Pools - 10 x 17 - x + 12k but option to include a sliding deck

We have a small backyard, so the pool needs to be small. I love the idea of the sliding deck from a safety, look and space conservation perspective but that is an additional 20k.

Ours would look something like below:

Love to hear perspective on people who have built pool on the key things to evaluate on.
evan_aggie
AG
Wow, that is dope!
AgLA06
AG
Here's my take from a person that used to design high end commercial pools.

If money is no option, the sliding deck would be great at maximize space. My only concern would be maintenance cost and longevity of the sliding system. I'd do a stone or paver patio between the pool and the house to accommodate more people for parties.

For the pool itself, it's basically a 2 function plunge pool and large hot tub. Wrap benches all the way around to maximize occupancy for pool parties. People will use your pool to sit with a drink and chat. Laps aren't going to be an option, but a swim jet would work if you do want to use it for exercise. I'd find a way to put a water feature (probably a water wall) at the end for grey noise and movement that doesn't interfere with the sliding deck.
c-jags
Keeper of The Spirits said:

A few more pictures

New Paint Scheme White, Whiter White and Navy

Totally random but our house was built in the 40 that has that exact door in Temple TX. Was just perusing your pictures and said that looks familiar

We also went with a Navy Blue.

amanda04
AG
We have a house from 1935 located in BCS and also have that exact same door.

Curious if anyone with a home from this time period has a screen or storm door on the front? We recently got all of our windows to open (!!!) and are loving the air flow. I'd love to add a screen door to the front but would want it to compliment the style of the house. Any suggestions?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Our whole scheme is basically Navy, White and Natural Wood. It's funny my wife wants a screen door but hates that door. I would have never thought it could be original.

I have been looking at doors from Orr Reed the architectural salvage place in Dallas.
amanda04
AG
I always assumed it wasn't original either. Maybe all of our former owners replaced doors at the same time?

I'd be interested to see what screen door you go with, if/when you get one. I slowly cruised the neighborhood but all the screen doors seem like they are generic Lowe's/HD varieties.
The Fife
The front door doesn't look original to me. I thought it was a fiberglass/steel 2000s big box replacement, but it's based on an older pattern so who knows.

Interesting to see the foundation for the addition. Spot footings around the perimeter are no longer allowed here, only continuous spread.
evan_aggie
AG
Spot footings? They are piers, right?

Oh I see. They dug a bigger square hole and poured concrete and then put the pier concrete on top of that...
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Interesting use of nesting boxes in that first pool pic.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Bathroom tile is in, thanks on the cement place recommendation I am looking at one of these doors salvaged by Orr reed

PabloSerna
AG
Nice project!

Would be cool to see a cabinet valance over the window at the sink with an integrated wood crown moulding. You can google that for some ideas to really tie in those modern cabinets into your historic home.

+Pablo

PabloSerna
AG
My advice on the pool is to go with something low maintenance. That sliding deck looks cool, but for the scale of your pool may be high? If you really like then, go for it.

Watch those overhead lines and if your site is small, check on setbacks since it could limit the size of the pool.

I like bubblers on a beach (6 in deep water) if you can work that in. Have an integrated sleeve for an umbrella. I have seen layouts with these sleeves at the corners where too much sun can be an issue. Spa and waterfall? LED lighting...

HTH

+Pablo

EDIT to add: Just saw where the bubblers and beach are shown. Make sure its large enough for a couple of chairs (lay back)..
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Great thoughts Pablo.

We are actually tying the cabinets of the sink with an open pine shelf that will match some of the other open shelves in the kitchen.

The sliding deck's biggest benefit IMO is keep stuff out of the pool and keeping the pool cooler in the summer
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Cabinets started today

Kitchen

Built in shelves in the sunroom

Bathroom vanities

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Got the tile in the master bath down

Tumble Weed
Keeper of The Spirits said:

The next major decision is the pool. We have 4 quotes:

1. Cody Pools - 10 x 18 - x price
2. Anthony and Sylvan - 20 x 16 - x + 9k
3. Majestic Poolscapes - 18 x 15 - x + 9k
4. Texas Tiny Pools - 10 x 17 - x + 12k but option to include a sliding deck

We have a small backyard, so the pool needs to be small. I love the idea of the sliding deck from a safety, look and space conservation perspective but that is an additional 20k.

Ours would look something like below:

Love to hear perspective on people who have built pool on the key things to evaluate on.
I am a water person. We own 3 boats. Everyone told us not to get a pool. I didn't listen because I thought that they were like people that hated boats.

My next upgrade to my house will be to demolish the pool and fill it with dirt. I will put in an fancy greenhouse for my wife in the same space.

TLDR; I hate pools.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We have 3 friends with pool plus my parents and they all love their pools so we are going to take the plunge!

Got new salvaged wood to match in the old stuff in the sunroom

water turkey
Very cool. We have a 1907 bungalow (that was Frankenstein-ed over 100 years) in Colorado Springs and are renovating it one room at a time slowly, so it will hopefully be ready when we are ready to retire.

You are going to have a gorgeous place.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
10 days of painting finally done, they painted the drawers in the island the wrong color but starting to come together. Electric and countertops over the next two days and then wood floors next week.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Countertops and some floors in. Floors are long leaf pine salvaged from the McClendon Price house which was built around 1900 and where tu coach Ed Price lived in the 50s

https://i.imgur.com/Y0nIi2G.mp4

evan_aggie
AG
Looking great! What size farmhouse sink is that?
Aggietaco
AG
You may have said already, but real marble or quartz?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Quartz, had marble lined up ready to go and got scared we would mess it up

I believe it is the 36in Kohler sink
Aggietaco
AG
I think your fear is justified. What brand quartz? I asked because it looks natural from the pictures you posted.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Either Caesarstone or Silostone, whatever it is it's the Carrera pattern
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Getting closer

UpstateAg
AG
These types of threads are why I keep working on remodeling our house. So fun and tiring but rewarding to see from start to finish. Love what you've done.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.