Recs On New Dishwashers

5,253 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgEng95
CoppellAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've had our current Kenmore Elite dishwasher for 15 years. Over the last couple years it makes an incredibly loud sound several times during the cycle. Had a repair guy out Saturday - looks like it was going to cost over $400 to replace the motors.

Now looking at buying a new one and making it the first step in an impending kitchen remodel. Has anyone recently purchased a new dishwasher ? If so, what brand, price, etc ? Right now - we're looking at Bosch dishwashers - BB has a free delivery/installation deal going today, whereas yesterday the install was $160.

Any recs would be much appreciated. Thanks !
Bregxit
AG
We've had three Bosch 800 series dishwashers (one left with previous home, two in our current home...my son broke the door on the first one by jumping on it when he was two) and have been happy with them.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
There was a good thread on here some months back. Try a google search. I don't remember what brand was the most recommended. Bosch was still thought of as good, but not head and shoulders better like they were a decade ago. If you find the thread, bump it please. i would like to read it again.
Vernada
AG
Bosch Benchmark Series

by far the best dishwasher I've ever used.
histag10
AG
Bosch.
TXTransplant
I bought a Bosch about 9 months ago from Lowe's with a similar free installation deal.

I started a thread a few months later about it stinking, even when the dishes are clean. Come to find out, the drain tube has to be installed a particular way or it doesn't work properly. The guy who installed mine didn't even attempt to do it correctly.

Based on the advice given in that thread, I got under my sink and maneuvered the tube in such a way that it mostly fixed the problem. But the tube is just being held in place by its own rigidity and the plumbing under the sink.

Fast forward to last week and the dishwasher wasn't operating properly at all. I started it several times only to have it stop at various points in the cycle. I looked under the sink and the drain tube had fallen out of place. If the the installation/position is ~that~ important, you'd think it would have been done correctly in the first place!

As far as the unit is concerned, it does work better than my old dishwasher, but that was a fairly low bar to exceed. I think the door/stainless steel front feels cheap. And the unit I bought doesn't heat the water above what my hot water heater gets it to. Also, the racks are arranged oddly, and I can't line up things as efficiently as I would like. It's also not as quiet as I would have hoped. I also have to open it once the cycle is complete, or everything stays soaking wet (one time mold grew on the plastic dishes).

However, I'm picky about appliances, especially dishwashers. I wanted one with a recessed (rather than protruding) handle and an all stainless interior. This one met those requirements. Overall, I'd give it a B. For $800+ all-in, I expected better, but I'm not sure I would have gotten it with any other brand. I think this is just the current state of appliances (don't get me started on refrigerators).

Edit: here is the thread and a link to the unit I purchased.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3045136

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-500-Series-AutoAir-44-Decibel-Built-In-Dishwasher-Stainless-Steel-Common-24-Inch-Actual-23-56-in-ENERGY-STAR/1001054156
Sazerac
AG
Bosch with the 3rd rack. Have two. The best.
ftworthag02
AG
as I've said previously, my customer owns a "high end" appliance repair company and when asked what dishwasher to purchase at lowes/HD he said kitchenaid. Well made, easy to repair, easy to get parts, made in the usa, and has a heating element. We've been extremely happy with it the past 5 yrs.
AW 1880
AG
Based on my research a few months back, Bosch was tops with Kitchen Aid coming in second. We found a pretty good deal and ended up getting a kitchen aid. We've only had it a few weeks.
jtp01
AG
The dishwasher in the Farmhouse/office went out this morning. I ran to Lowe's and quite honestly bought the cheapest one they had in stock. We use it to wash lunch dishes, coffee cups and such. We generally load during the day and run it as we leave for the day.
jtraggie99
AG
Bought this one about a year ago. It's done well. Nothing fancy. And dishwashers are fairly easy to install yourself if they are charging for it...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-24-in-Front-Control-Built-In-Tall-Tub-Dishwasher-in-Stainless-Steel-with-Steam-Prewash-54-dBA-GDF530PSMSS/306191790
MAS444
AG
Hate that our Bosch doesn't dry. Getting a Kitchen Aid in our new house.
bkag9824
AG
Chose a Bosch (can't remember the model number) for our new house, and the damn thing is super quiet, and gets things clean.

However, their rack system (we have 3) makes it difficult to fit standard size sheet pans on the bottom rack. Never had that before & we've tried numerous ways of loading them.

The items on the very top rack collect a ton of water & never dry on their own. We have to open the unit, drain the items in the sink & then air dry them on the counter.

Just food for thought.
CoppellAg93
AG
Thanks for all the replies.

TxTransplant - I read your previous thread - have definitely seen the complaints about the smell from the Bosch models. Looks like you fixed the issue with the loop though.
CAR96
AG
If you are willing to pay for Bosch and can afford go for it...heard they are really good.
Vernada
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

TxTransplant - I read your previous thread - have definitely seen the complaints about the smell from the Bosch models. Looks like you fixed the issue with the loop though.
I had read about the install issues so I was sure to double check our install - we've had no issues.
CoppellAg93
AG
Vernada said:

CoppellAg93 said:

I had read about the install issues so I was sure to double check our install - we've had no issues.
Yes - I'll be sure to mention it to the installers so that they do it correctly.
YellAg2004
AG
MAS444 said:

Hate that our Bosch doesn't dry. Getting a Kitchen Aid in our new house.
This is exactly why we went with a KitchenAid. I'll gladly pay the extra few cents in electricity for the drying element to run each cycle.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We replaced a builder GE prior to putting our home on the market with a Bosch. I don't remember the model, but it was from best buy and maybe the 2nd or 3rd cheapest of 5 or 6 Bosch they had.

We only used it about 6 weeks, but my wife hated having soaking wet dishes. We put an upper mid range kitchen aid in our new home.

It's not s quiet as the Bosch, but you only hear the compressor (or something) kicking in when the room is very quiet.

The cleaning on the kitchenaid is mediocre. If we run it on the toughest setting (almost 3 hours) it's fine, but the medium setting leaves did on dishes. We prerinse in the sink too.

We body an LG in our first home 14 years ago. It was the best of them, but that might be bias because it was one of our first adult purchases as a near married couple.
Texker
AG
We installed a Bosch at our former house and it was flawless for a decade. Shoulda asked the Buyers to let us have it since we knew they were gonna gut the house.

In our "new" place we recently switched out the POS Kenmore for a high-end Bosch. We bought it from Lowe's and got free installation which turned out to be overpriced because they failed to install the loop properly. Got that fixed but we have found this model to be more prone to odors than our previous model. When that happens we clean out the screens and all is well.
Sazerac
AG
with the Bosch, if you use rinse aid and the Extra Dry setting most everything comes out bone dry. Anything (typically in the top rack) that can hold water though will still have some. (tupperware tops, etc.)

I do agree that I wish the bottom rack was more adjustable with the tines to fit different sized items.
chloelee
Kitchenaid - I have had two, one in previous home and one in current home. Never had a problem.
CoppellAg93
AG
Once again - I appreciate all the replies/info from everyone.

Pulled the trigger on the Bosch ...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bosch-500-series-24-top-control-built-in-dishwasher-with-stainless-steel-tub-3rd-rack-44-dba-black/6360633.p?skuId=6360633

Getting it installed next Thursday afternoon. Will post my review on it soon.
Sazerac
AG
Not sure my model, but it looks identical to those pics.
Vernada
AG
make sure to get rid of that silverware basket - you don't need it with the 3rd rack.
CoppellAg93
AG
Vernada said:

make sure to get rid of that silverware basket - you don't need it with the 3rd rack.
Yeah - i noticed that when we were looking at it earlier.
Sazerac
AG
I still use the baskets most of the time.
TxAg20
AG
ftworthag02 said:

as I've said previously, my customer owns a "high end" appliance repair company and when asked what dishwasher to purchase at lowes/HD he said kitchenaid. Well made, easy to repair, easy to get parts, made in the usa, and has a heating element. We've been extremely happy with it the past 5 yrs.

I only have experience with KitchenAid. When we built our house, the appliance store recommended Wolf and Subzero for everything but icemaker and dishwasher. They recommended KitchenAid dishwasher for the same reasons as above. We took their advice and have been happy with the dishwasher.
sleepybeagle
AG
OnlyForNow
AG
top of the line kitchen aid and Bosch are the top two choices on every consumer reports website.

we have the KA over the Bosch because of the dying and love it.
Texker
AG
sleepybeagle said:

Bregxit
AG
CoppellAg93
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

Once again - I appreciate all the replies/info from everyone.

Pulled the trigger on the Bosch ...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bosch-500-series-24-top-control-built-in-dishwasher-with-stainless-steel-tub-3rd-rack-44-dba-black/6360633.p?skuId=6360633

Getting it installed next Thursday afternoon. Will post my review on it soon.
Back to post my review ....

This is a great dishwasher - definitely the most quiet one we've had. The only noticeable noise is when the water is pushed through the sink drain a couple times during the cycle. Otherwise you would hardly even know it was running.

Pros

* Extremely quiet
* Love the 3 racks - have used the top rack for silverware a few times
* All dishes dry very well - exception is top of tupperware dishes/bowls that are not upside down (had same issue with previous dishwasher - seems to be a problem with most models)
* Very sleek look - like the buttons at the top of the door being hidden

Cons

* Air Dry function seems to be having a problem - the door doesn't open as far as it should during a lot of the cycles (may be calling a service rep to check it)
* We are using the silverware tray - but not a fan of the weird shape of a lot of the holes in the tray - hard to fit some of the utensils in some of them

Overall

I would definitely recommend this dishwasher - it has everything we wanted and I can't overstate how quiet it is. If you're wanting to spend a little more for a quality appliance, you can't go wrong with this one.

PS - A side note from our installation - the guys from Best Buy came out to install the unit, and when they walked in my house, they said they smelled gas. They continued with the install, and upon leaving, they suggested I get it checked out. So we called our gas company and had them come out to check. The technician arrived and sure enough - he detected a leak. We called a plumber and they came out and checked things out. They ended up finding that the gas pipe coming into our house and through our bedroom wall was almost completely rusted/rotted out and had to be completely replaced, along with another leak they found in our utility room. The total cost of repairs (rerunning the pipe, replacing and repainting the walls) cost us about $12,000). We were without gas for 8 days in late January (so no hot water and heating) so we spent most of those nights in a hotel, along with a couple at a few friend's houses. We used Marriott points for the hotel so we only had to pay for one night of hotel. Hell of a start to 2020 and who imagined it would only get worse !!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Twelve grand! Man, that sucks. Rough time for a kick in the junk like that.
CoppellAg93
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Twelve grand! Man, that sucks. Rough time for a kick in the junk like that.
It gets worse - our install was on a Thursday - the day before, my wife's position at work was eliminated and she had to re-apply for a new position - ended up with about a $20K paycut.

As I've heard someone say - I'm ready for Season 2 of 2020 because Season 1 sucks !!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.