Curry Odor

6,716 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Fife
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have tried three different occasions of two weeks of a ozone machine. I have bought a 300.00 odor control that you put in your ac blower motor and still not much luck

I replaced microwave and carpet and have wiped cabinets down

The previous tenants lived there for 6 curry years. They have been gone for 2 years and I still smell curry

Anybody have a suggestion I can try. Thanks
aggiedent
AG
Don't buy a curried house? Seems like it might be the correct answer.
dubi
AG
Any carpet or drapes? If yes, rip it out.

It may be embedded in the sheetrock / AC system.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Prime/seal/paint walls and ceiling, degrease/TSP all cabinets/fan blades/trim including underside and kick boards
Scruffy
AG
To echo Dubi, if it is fabric..... remove it.

Have you thoroughly cleaned behind/under the range/oven and all kitchen appliances?
Prime/seal and paint all walls.
if HVAC ducting is insulated on the interior, look into a good duct cleaning.

Basically you have to treat the house the same as a smoker's.
maddiedou
AG
Yes New carpet. Primed and painted. Cleaned the cabinets pulled everything out and cleaned it. But I just thought of something i do not know if we cleaned under the uppers or on top of the uppers
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't move to Sugar Land.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Where are you located? I have a contact for you but it's different for Dallas/Austin/Houston etc.
maddiedou
AG
College station.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We made this video to help in situations like this- we've 'smelt' them work wonders

maddiedou
AG
Holy crap. How much is this thing if you have to finance for 18 months or is it small amounts of monthly payments to get people to try it
ABATTBQ11
AG
You will never get it out. Sorry for your loss.
Engine10
AG

It's the only way to be sure!
JP76
I've had good luck with this on foul odors

http://www.odobanprofessional.com/products/air-fresheners/one-shot-food-odor-bomb.php

https://www.amazon.com/OdoBan-One-Shot-Food-Odor-Fogger/dp/B01NCRM4VY

Also before bombing I would reclean all the surface areas with ODO ban cleaner and microfiber cloths

https://odoban.com/product/multipurpose-concentrate/

Shows in stock at CS Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OdoBan-1-Gal-Eucalyptus-Disinfectant-Laundry-and-Air-Freshener-Mold-and-Mildew-Control-Multi-Purpose-Concentrate-911061-G/202560626
dubi
AG
JP76 said:

I've had good luck with this on foul odors

http://www.odobanprofessional.com/products/air-fresheners/one-shot-food-odor-bomb.php

https://www.amazon.com/OdoBan-One-Shot-Food-Odor-Fogger/dp/B01NCRM4VY

Also I would reclean all the surface areas with ODO ban cleaner and microfiber cloths
Have you used this? It would be fantastic if this works for the OP.
JP76
Yes I have used it in the past before in situations involving foul odors with good success. I used to buy it at Sam's club but not sure if they stock it anymore.

https://m.samsclub.com/p/odoban-eucalyptus-concentrate128oz2pk/prod22121426

evan_aggie
AG
Try renting an Ozone machine if everything else fails.

Do some research though. You have to run in each room for 3-5 hours and can't be around it.
maddiedou
AG
I bought an ozone machine and ran it for a month. And then 6 months later two weeks. And about to run again for three weeks All 24 hours a day

I will find JPS. Stuff and see if it works. It is getting better ovwr the years and alot better since I bought that 300 dollar ac blower item that you hook up inside the unit.

Thanks for all replies.
OldArmyBrent
AG
You ran it for a month and it didn't cause other issues? I know if the ozone machine is working, it can turn car interiors into a sticky mess with prolonged use, so I figure you would have some sort of negative consequence if that thing is actually working. Not sure how to make sure it actually works, though.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Not very expensive (especially when you consider the odors it eats up..) . - you can buy them on Amazon for ~$400ish ( make sure you find a legit one) + Install the correct way.

With our services, the majority of these we sell end up being included with new A/C System replacements. We finance most A/C replacements & the upgrades get included- (like a Reme Halo per the video)

A Reme Halo may work wonders & not sure why no-one else has mentioned it. JP76 is an supposed to be an expert in these matters
maddiedou
AG
I think a 1050 sqft compared to 36 sqft may come into play there but I am not an ozone expert
maddiedou
AG
Thanks. I bought from standard supply and thought I would give it a try.
JP76
EcoZapp.Makes.Crisp.Air said:

Not very expensive (especially when you consider the odors it eats up..) . - you can buy them on Amazon for ~$400ish ( make sure you find a legit one) + Install the correct way.

With our services, the majority of these we sell end up being included with new A/C System replacements. We finance most A/C replacements & the upgrades get included- (like a Reme Halo per the video)

A Reme Halo may work wonders & not sure why no-one else has mentioned it. JP76 is an supposed to be an expert in these matters

Because I don't believe the correct way to remove an odor is to install a $1,000 part that introduces a new pollutant inside of a customer's home that is shown to have long term health effects over time.
The Fife
maddiedou said:

College station.
Engineering grad students, amirite?

source: finished engineering grad school at A&M, therefore expert on curries
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I don't think you're going to have much luck with an ozone machine. Need something more commercial grade. I am not sure if Paul will come out to CS but it's worth a call. Curry is actually something they tackle a lot...

Paul Moinot is the owner. Tell him Scott from Sewell referred you.

https://www.biosweepofaustin.com

It says Austin, but he owns Houston and Austin franchises

maddiedou
AG
Thanks. Titan

And

Fife. I do not understand your comment
one MEEN Ag
AG
maddiedou said:

I have tried three different occasions of two weeks of a ozone machine. I have bought a 300.00 odor control that you put in your ac blower motor and still not much luck

I replaced microwave and carpet and have wiped cabinets down

The previous tenants lived there for 6 curry years. They have been gone for 2 years and I still smell curry

Anybody have a suggestion I can try. Thanks
That is not nearly aggressive enough against 6 years of curry cooking. You're going to need to Kilz the walls and pull out any carpet or drapes that haven't been replaced. Wouldn't be surprised if your new carpet has now pulled the smell of the house into it and now needs to be replaced again. Rent a Bissell Green Deep Clean Machine if you don't want to replace the carpets again and are willing to risk the time and effort.

Also, make sure the range hood vents up and out of the house, not just recirculating it back into the room. There's no excuse for lingering food odors then.

Finally, put a line in your contract that food odors that cannot be cleaned from the house are subject to repair/replacement damages. Find a reason to stop by your place every now and then as well, don't let it get out of hand.

You had a tenant for 6 years, I'd expect any tenant for 6 years to do considerable damage to the house. Repainting the walls isn't that bad of recourse.

Best of luck.

RK
AG
my only recommendation is to cook bacon every morning.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
JP76 said:

Because I don't believe the correct way to remove an odor is to install a $1,000 part that introduces a new pollutant inside of a customer's home that is shown to have long term health effects over time.

Umm.. A candle solves odor issue and puts a pollutant into a home.

A Reme Halo made by RGF, I would classify as the opposite of a pollutant- It eats up VOC's and pollutants, along with allergens, mold spores, nasty dog smells, smoke smells etc..

ABATTBQ11
AG

JP76 said:

A Reme Halo made by RGF, I would classify as the opposite of a pollutant- It eats up VOC's and pollutants, along with allergens, mold spores, nasty dog smells, smoke smells etc..

What the REME HALO does is use Negative Air Ions to charge particulate matter, like mold spores and allergens, which causes them to stick to things, like each other, walls, the floor, etc. When they're stuck together and coalesce, they're larger and more easily removed.

However, it also produces Hydrogen Peroxide and Ozone. These are what kill bacteria through oxidation. High Test Peroxide, or high concentration hydrogen peroxide, is often used as a propellant/oxidizer in torpedoes and rockets. Ozone easily drops it's third oxygen atom onto other compounds. These oxidizers kill bacteria by being down their cell walls through oxidation (rust is oxidized iron, so hopefully that gives you the picture). The problem is that these oxidizers work exactly the same on you as on bacteria. When you breathe them in, they oxidize you and your cells. Long term exposure to that simply isn't good for you.
Dr. Doctor
AG

JP76 said:

Ozone, for those with asthma, is a trigger and bad. Can cause those with it to hit "puff the magic dragon" more so than normal.

Hence why you get the notice of "Ozone days" or "Air Quality Alerts" in cities. Because ozone on the ground level is bad; ozone in the air is good.

~egon
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Can you run thru the actual amount of Hydrogen proxide from a Reme Halo into a home compared to what a dangerous amount of it would be?

Per the Specs RGF gives, we're talking about ~ " < 0.02 PPM "

Here's a link for info https://www.rgf.com/article/hydro-peroxide-for-iaq/

jgh85Ag
AG
Get a couple of cats.
ABATTBQ11
AG

Can you run thru the actual amount of Hydrogen proxide from a Reme Halo into a home compared to what a dangerous amount of it would be?

Per the Specs RGF gives, we're talking about ~ " < 0.02 PPM "

Here's a link for info https://www.rgf.com/article/hydro-peroxide-for-iaq/

It's not about concentration, it's about prolonged exposure. Think of it this way: An x-ray for a broken arm is fine. An x-ray a day is probably a good way to get cancer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.