Concrete Resurfacing Solutions

1,941 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cbminers
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody use this company out of Tomball? He said he can apply his systems over pea gravel.

"All of the overlay systems that we install are able to be applied over pea gravel."

I haven't had any luck with anyone else who said they can do that.
jtp01
AG
Overlay materials are only as good as the bond of the substrate. If the pea gravel is popping up, I would not trust any material to bond for very long. I would suggest asking for a technical data sheet on the material he proposes to use, then find the installation instructions and look for what prep work they recommend and ask for how long the warranty is for.
Whitetail
AG
Quote:

"All of the overlay systems that we install are able to be applied over pea gravel."
What he said is a true statement...same as if they installed an overlay system of plain water. Which is possible...its just not going to last.

What I think he isn't saying is how long the system will last over pea gravel. Get them to make a statement on expected longevity.
rlb28
AG
jtp01 said:

Overlay materials are only as good as the bond of the substrate. If the pea gravel is popping up, I would not trust any material to bond for very long. I would suggest asking for a technical data sheet on the material he proposes to use, then find the installation instructions and look for what prep work they recommend and ask for how long the warranty is for.
Only a couple rocks here and there are popping up.

I had one guy who said he could grind down the pea gravel to get a better substrate to adhere to. This guy hasn't mentioned that, however, we are in the very early stages of even taking or quoting. Thanks for the suggestions.
Chris98
AG
There are several options for resurfacing over pea gravel. As mentioned, prep is the key. Also, a polymer modified overlay system will probably be most successful. A little more expensive due to the additional coats needed to "float out" the pea gravel, but worth it.
Hhilton82
AG
Concerns me the guys uses the term "pea gravel" instead of exposed aggregate.
notheranymore
I'm going to get a quote from them to rip out/cover our slate tile.
AggieSam02
AG
We do it all the time. When we apply an overlay on pea gravel we need to skim coat/float it first. Haven't had any issues.
cbminers
AG
I had a great experience with these guys. I will copy/paste my review below.

I did not get any impression from Rob that he would attempt an application that he can't/won't stand beside. FWIW I have referred several other folks to him over the past several months.

Earlier this year we extended our patio, adding about 225 sf of concrete (~400 in total). For several months we visited with various contractors. We considered a polymerized (stamped) overlay, stained concrete, tile, etc. Our primary concerns were to find a durable product, a product that would be unique to our patio, and a price we could stomach. We couldn't get comfortable with a product and vendor who could deliver and we were just about ready to learn to love our cement patio.
Then, several weeks ago, I stumbled across Concrete Resurfacing Solutions on Facebook. Long story short, CRS just finished up a highly custom limestone overlay on our patio and we could not be happier. CRS was able to check every box. I honestly can't imagine having gone with a different product or vendor.
PROS:
- Rob was highly professional, communicated effectively, and kept appointment times.
- The project schedule was communicated clearly and everything was finished on, or ahead of, schedule. This is really difficult to manage with weather, etc. being such a big factor with this kind of work.
- Most vendors hand you a catalog or a color swatch once you get under contract. After hearing our desires, Rob actually prepared multiple samples onsite so we could get a feel for exactly what the colors and textures would look like for our specific application.
- We had a chance to review the project at multiple stages to make sure everything met our expectations. We never needed to change anything but it was great to get to sign off once, after the pattern was laid out, and again, after the color was applied (before sealing).
- Rob's crew was very professional and always eager to get our thoughts as the project moved along.
- My yard was left in the same shape they found it. All trash was hauled off and I wasn't left with any mess to clean up.
- Rob clearly explained the care, maintenance, and warranty information for the product.
- This particular product is entirely custom and unique to each individual application. The same cannot be said for tile or a stamped product.
CONS:
- It took me months to stumble across CRS on Facebook despite scouring the web. If you are reading this, I highly recommend you request a quote.
TLDR; CRS offers a great product at a fair price. They delivered on their commitments, both on time and on budget. It was clear throughout the process that customer satisfaction is their top priority.
rlb28
AG
Can u send pics? rlb28 at yahoo
cbminers
AG
I will send you some now
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.