Garage storage redo

3,448 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll see if I can get pictures up soon.

Our garage has been kind of a mess since we moved in almost 10 years ago. First we had a bunch of stuff we had to go through and take in the house, which took a few more weeks (ok, months) than expected. Then I wasn't sure how to organize my tools and work area. Then I tried some things, hit reset, didn't like those things, built some stuff, didn't like that, and here we are. Hopefully, this latest project will work.

A few years ago I built an 8 foot by 30" workbench (counter height) with a shelf on one site and the other open to put a pressure washer under it (update: sold the bench). At the time, my wife's car was hail-dinged so putting it in the garage wasn't a priority. Meanwhile, we purchased a couple of metal shelves for storage (update: now sold), which worked OK. It was this one from Lowes:

I had this roughly 15 year old tool chest set from Sears that was OK, just getting smaller by the year (if you know what I mean):

Plus, I had a Lowes air compressor that sounded like an EF5 tornado when on (older version of this):

So I sold the compressor and the tool chest set, got a Husky rolling tool chest:

I like it, although the top drawer can be a little fussy. But we have to get both cars in the garage so the built workbench has to go as does the storage shelves (now done). Over the last 6 weeks, I've been wearing out an art pen drawing (if you want to call it that) designs and looking at every youtube video and every google image I can find of garage storage ideas. I have literally gone in circles 5-7 times. We have decided on the following:

Elfa Shelving (from Container Store) for bottles, and other items (that I have a lot of) that can be put on the wall:

I've put 2 of the long Elfa basket holders and 1 short one up and ran out of baskets! I'll put a third long one and probably another short one up and see if I need anything else.

The old tool chest and air compressor (haven't replaced that yet, sadly) sat in a recessed area. Today, we installed wooden shelving, at least, the lower shelf unit. We plan to add at least 3 more shelves above it. We looked at wire shelving similar to what we did our closets with -- Rubbermaid -- but decided on the wood. The depth of the recessed area was 24" and the wire shelving on went to 20, plus, I trusted the wood shelving more. Not that we're putting THAT much weight on it, but 100 lbs. on it won't make literally any difference.

Then, last night at Home Depot, when getting wood (yeah, I know, bad place to get it but didn't really need a lot and couldn't find a lumber yard to sell me any) we stumbled upon an unfinished tall kitchen cabinet that can go where one of the metal shelves was out of the way of the car but that will still provide about 75% fo the storage of that cabinet -- with a drawer for smaller items and its closed off for keeping stuff clean. Win/win. It looks a little odd, but it will work. Plus, I don't have to hang cabinets or build shelves over there.

Now, we just have to finish the shelving and organize everything. And get rid of the bench and shelves. Biggest issue now is tubs to go into the shelves. Need sturdy but functional as well as different sizes.
reddog90
AG
I'm guessing you've perused Garage Journal?
91AggieLawyer
AG
I'm sure I did. Pics that ended up on Google images for sure.

Here are some (sort of) before/during images. Still a work in progress.

Here is a close up of the old tool box and junked up top section -- one reason why I wanted something else. This was in the "cove"/inlet:

Here's a more broad pic of the overall garage early last year after the light was installed and the shelving units were up but I hadn't cleaned up or even sold the compressor or tool chest yet:

And here is the cove shelving we completed over the weekend:

Yes, the shelving is at different heights and done so intentionally. The elfa shelfs are mostly up; I need to put 2 more up and put the stuff in the baskets, put things in tubs, roll everything in place, and then the garage should be clear. The only lingering issue we have is a place for my miter saw. [SUGGESTIONS WELCOME] That and a regular sized tool box fool of clamps, but I can find room for the tool box. The saw is still a problem.

Still to do:

-- base/platform for cabinet
-- something for miter saw
-- poly finish cabinet (in a couple of weeks, after build is over)
-- repair side fence (not related, but now have the wood and shouldn't take more than an hour or so)
-- put up Elfa rails and baskets
-- install power strip (more trouble than it appears)
-- put stuff in tubs and organize (going very slllllowwwwly)
-- clean garage floor
91AggieLawyer
AG
A couple of pic updates:

Shelving is semi-complete. Just need to put things in, clean off the tub labels (changed a couple), add my custom labels, and I'll be done with that.

Here are the Elfa baskets. I think I'm going to really like these.

agrams
AG
the corner space above your garage door is a good space to use. Mind is almost perfect size to make a shelf that will hold 16" tall rubbermaids:

Shelf hangers that run the length of the garage door are also great to use that void space for lightweight/bulky items:

Jason Ag
AG
These are currently on sale at home depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAge-Products-Performance-96-in-L-x-48-in-W-x-42-in-H-Adjustable-VersaRac-Ceiling-Storage-Rack-in-Gray-40151/205003289
91AggieLawyer
AG
Thanks for the pics and links but I don't have that much room above my garage door. Besides, I think most everything that can be put up is up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.