Leak from roof

1,206 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FortWorthAg
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I noticed a wet spot on a ceiling in a closet upstairs. It is coming from an opening in the roof where a pie exits. It looks like there is a styrofoam gasket around the pipe that has ripped apart. Would spraying some Great Stuff around it from inside the attic be a good medium-term solution? I don't have easy access to the roof, but will probably be getting a new roof in the next year.

toolshed
AG
Plumbing vent with what looks like a rubber boot flashing vs lead flashing. The rubber has likely deteriorated and split.

I'd hire someone to repair it if you can get on the roof. The foam may just direct the water elsewhere, and it looks like the boot is failing in a couple areas. There's not a good way to know if the foam creates a good seal from the bottom side. I'd prefer a $100 repair now vs a more expensive one later.
JP76
If you can get to the top I have heard these work good for DIY repairs.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Perma-Boot-2-in-x-11-125-in-Plastic-Vent-and-Pipe-Flashing/50371288

Or pay a roofer to fix it correctly. If you ignore that for too long you are going to end up with much worse problems than you currently have.

Personally I would never put a plastic roof boot on a roof and only use lead for any of my jobs.
Roger That
AG
I went the permaboot route. 30 second fix, worked great, and way cheaper than the roofer minimum charge.
FortWorthAg
AG
Another vote for Perma Boot. I repaired two vents on my roof in 20 minutes. Very easy and has held up for three years and holding strong.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.