Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Found a new cable in my yard

3,525 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Kraken
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found a new cable in my backyard going into a utility box. The cable goes under my fence and into my neighbors yard. Should this be going into my yard? Was the cable company just lazy and didn't bury it?

It has no slack at all so I can't move it to at least run along the fence.

Ornlu
AG
Those are usually called "direct bury" cables. They are supposed to be 6-24 inches deep. I'd call the cable company and tell them that you're certain that normal weed eating will cut it as it's above ground.

Their contractor was supposed to bury it and cheated.
UmustBKidding
That looks like a telephone pedistal not cable and is likely within some utility easement. The installer should run that in the easement to the subscriber and across their property to their demarcation point. A contractor comes along a few days later and uses a blade to bury it.
Strategy
AG
Cut it. They will be out and bury faster than you can believe.
Gary79Ag
AG
Do you have a land line in your home that you use. If not, cut it...if it's not an abandoned line, they'll be out to rectify the situation. If they ask any questions, just tell them your weed eater did it!
The Kraken
AG
Give it a few days. The higher paid tech runs the line and makes the connections. The lower paid guy comes along later to bury it.
ftworthag02
AG
As above poster said they will send out a sub to "bury" the wire about 4-6" deep. Looks like phone line. Its absolutely ridiculous that these phone, internet, cable companies are allowed to bury their lines so shallow and poorly. A few years ago we replaced a bermuda yard w/ St. Augustine using a sod cutter and I didn't even think about calling digtess to mark the utilites. The homeowner comes outside and says their internet & phone was down. They call att and the tech comes out and connects the wire at the house and then connects it at the back corner of yard and walks off. I ask him if he's done and he says "yes, trust me you don't want me to trench it and install the wire". About 4 weeks later I get a bill from AT&T for over $300 for his 30 mins of work. F'n ridiculous!
aggiedent
AG
The crew that lays cables is not the crew that buries them. Usually that crew comes out a week later.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Had the same issue

Was quicker to bury it myself than sit on hold for an hour

Post removed:
by user
hunterjr81
Yea they will trench it later...maybe. Had a phone line from the box in my yard to the neighbors that was put in and left laying on the ground for a couple weeks. Even though I was careful, I did accidentally cut it with the weed eater. They promptly fixed and buried it the next day lol.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The guys who bury these must get lied to a lot. Every cable I've ever come across is a hell of a lot closer to 1" deep than 6"...
dubi
AG
Quote:

It has no slack at all so I can't move it to at least run along the fence.

Without slack means it will be impossible to bury.
gigem70
AG
One of two things should take place here. If this is the permanent line a contractor should be there in a few days and bury it. If it is a temporary line a contractor should come and bury a permanent line and this one will be removed.
fire09
AG
I had a cable left lazily across my yard for about 2 weeks. One day I got pissed off about it and clipped it with shears. It was gone the next day.
Señor Chang
AG
My neighbors were finally home. Neighbor said her husband cut their cable/phone line while digging and AT&T came out to run a new line. My wife gave them permission to go in our yard and forgot to tell me. The neighbor's line had to be connected to the box in my yard for some reason. Neighbor is going to call AT&T to have them fix the portion in my yard. They are nice people so I don't want to cut their line. The installers obviously forgot to bury the line in my yard because they buried the portion in my neighbors yard.
The Kraken
AG
Quote:

The neighbor's line had to be connected to the box in my yard for some reason.
That pedestal serves as a connection point for all neighboring houses...your house, the neighbor on your left side and any houses behind you. Same thing for electric pedestals...if it's not in your yard then your underground is connected to one in a neighboring yard. There's no reason to have separate pedestals for every lot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.