Mounting exterior sconce over existing siding

6,361 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know I'm going to need a mounting block, I'm just not sure what kind. I'm mounting over fiber cement, and sturdimount blocks seem to be the goto for that, but they're meant for installation before the siding is put up.

Should I just trim one from wood? How would I flash this besides just caulking the edges?
CapCity12thMan
AG
maybe you could do a reverse board of siding over existing siding, and it would give you the block look using the same material...? What I mean is if you have another piece of siding ( and it is thicker on the bottom than the top, then cut a piece wide as you need and then just turn it upside down. It makes the surface vertical and uses same material.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Unfortunately it's lap siding. I'll definitely need a block. I'd need to be able to cut something like a shim to match the angle.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Found a way to do this in a This Old House blog that seems pretty easy and robust. Think I'll go with it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
my point was the siding should be angled already - flip it over to get the shim you want. Maybe I am not 100% with you on what you have. Can you post the TOH link so I can view it - curious now.

ABATTBQ11
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

my point was the siding should be angled already - flip it over to get the shim you want. Maybe I am not 100% with you on what you have. Can you post the TOH link so I can view it - curious now.

It's not angled. The siding is a pretty uniform thickness with a 1 1/4" overlap. Even with a flipped piece, I'd still have the same issue.

Here's the link. It's pretty far down. I'm cutting out the siding, slipping in some z-bar flashing at the top for a drip cap, attaching the block over the felt, then caulking the sides. I'm debating on silicone or latex. I know silicone is basically for forever, but if I want to remove and repaint in a few years, latex would probably be easier.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/norm-abrams-best-tricks-trade-ii
JP76
ABATTBQ11 said:

CapCity12thMan said:

It's not angled. The siding is a pretty uniform thickness with a 1 1/4" overlap. Even with a flipped piece, I'd still have the same issue.

Here's the link. It's pretty far down. I'm cutting out the siding, slipping in some z-bar flashing at the top for a drip cap, attaching the block over the felt, then caulking the sides. I'm debating on silicone or latex. I know silicone is basically for forever, but if I want to remove and repaint in a few years, latex would probably be easier.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/norm-abrams-best-tricks-trade-ii

Is this a light ?

If so most have a gasket or you can purchase one to fit. If you're really paranoid use Lexel to seal it but leave the bottom uncaulked so moisture can drain if there is ever an issue. Lexel is solvent based but accepts paint unlike silicone. You can get it at any Lowe's.

http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/

ABATTBQ11
AG
It's a light. I'm already going the mounting block route though. Mounting it tonight and got the siding already cut. I'll post pics later.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Here it is uncaulked:

There's no rain in the forecast for the next few days, so I figure I have a little time to finish that part. I think it turned out alright. You can't even tell where it's notched to overlap the bottom piece of siding, and I have maybe a 1/64" gap between the block and that piece at the very bottom. The screws at the top are recessed, and I'm gong to cap them with some 3/8" buttons and paint them white. Because of where the electrical box is, there's no way to hide them under the lamp base at the top. I have two more on the bottom that are covered up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.