Poor shower design - What is simplest fix for now

2,104 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Whitetail
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The bottom of my master bath shower is designed in what I believe to be a very poor way. Any water that sits on the bottom seal ends up dripping on the sheetrock next to it.

What is the simplest way to fix this for now? How likely that I can find some matching cultured marble that is currently used in the shower?

If I can find some matching stone I was thinking I would add to the existing trim around the shower to eliminate the area where the water seems to go.
sts7049
AG
if that small part is poorly designed, i can only imagine what the rest of it looks like...

if you just want a cheap fix (to hold you over until the inevitable shower remodel ) i would just towel up and excess after a shower. if you start cutting out stuff to replace with stone my guess is you are going to uncover a can of worms.
Caliber
AG
My bigger concern is how much water is getting out to that ledge to begin with...

Shouldn't water only be dripping there as you get out of the shower? That shouldn't be that much water to cause enough to do serious damage in my mind...

You might need to check/redo the caulking around the door before you do anything else.

BigBubba
AG
sts7049 said:

if that small part is poorly designed, i can only imagine what the rest of it looks like...

if you just want a cheap fix (to hold you over until the inevitable shower remodel ) i would just towel up and excess after a shower. if you start cutting out stuff to replace with stone my guess is you are going to uncover a can of worms.
I am curious what type of issues you worry about? I bought the house new in 2005 and this is the only issue we have encountered that I could remotely blame on the original builder

Brad06ag said:

My bigger concern is how much water is getting out to that ledge to begin with...

Shouldn't water only be dripping there as you get out of the shower? That shouldn't be that much water to cause enough to do serious damage in my mind...

You might need to check/redo the caulking around the door before you do anything else.

It is not much water. This is the result of 12.5 years of showers. At one point, the gasket at the bottom of the shower door had broke off and I replaced it but that escalated the damage a little.
62strat
AG
Man, I'd get rid of my dog if he did that to my walls!
62strat
AG
But seriously, that looks like an awful lot of water damage for normal use of a 12 year old house. Something else is going on here.. It's got to be leaking during the shower or something.
Gary79Ag
AG
Looks like it's time to do a total bathroom remodel within a week...

Yep, there's a whole lot of stuff done wrong for that to have occurred within 12.5 years!
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Please tell me this is not on a second floor?
toolshed
AG
Serious answer...you have a bigger issue than a leaky door. You likely have a leak in the pan or another joint between the marble surfaces. The moisture is at the subfloor level and wicking up into the drywall, trim, etc.. you can see the efflorescence on the grout lines where moisture is wicking up through the grout joints.

I'd start with doing a pan test, remove the drain cover and seal the drain with a test ball. Fill the shower pan with water up to just below the first joint between the pan and the next panel or trim piece. Mark the waterline with a piece of tape or pencil and leave it for an hour and see if the water level receeeds.

You can try cleaning out the joints in the cultured marble and recaulking the whole thing. It's a painstaking task, to remove all the nasty old caulk. Moisture will likely seep from the joints once you remove the caulk. The moisture needs to dry out before caulking.

I see a shower remodel in your future. And it's probably necessary in order to remove the wet, rotten material in the walls that you can't see.
JP76
Have you ever recaulked the shower inside ?

Does the ledge under the door slope towards the inside of the shower ?

Post some pictures of the inside including where the pan meets the walls and where the door trim meets the marble

Unless you have some serious caulk ailure you likely have a leaking shower pan or drain issue causing this.

I would also investigate further by removing the base boards on each side and at the opening up the drywall under them to see if you can isolate the source of the moisture
Absolute
AG
As said, you have leakage, at least, at the seams of what look to be marblelike slabs. Probably inappropriate materials behind the slabs. Water has saturated the wood and worked its way out to the drywall you see in the pictures. Not to be alarmist, but there is a decent chance you have mold growth going on.

Probably need to be fixed sooner rather than later. There is jot particularly good patch work repair other than sealing the seams. But the damage is done.

Need to plan for a remodel, after a mold inspection (if you want to be safe), sooner rather than later.
beachfront71
AG

If your concern is to not have to remodel the shower and dump some money into it ..

I would cut out that drywall in that area and see what is going on inside the walls, maybe leave it that way for a while.

hillcountryag86
AG
That amount of damage indicates you don't have a quick fix. There is just too much going on. You should consider a complete tear out. Get in there and fix the problem behind the walls or in the pan area.
YellAg2004
AG
Not to pile on, but I'll agree with the other's here - you likely have bigger issues if you're seeing that much damage on the outside. You can pretty much guarantee that the shower was constructed without any type of waterproofing layer between the tile and the backer board. Since you said this was built in 2005, you can at least hope that they used cement board instead of sheetrock. That may help slightly reduce the amount of mold that may be in the walls.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Let me tell you from experience... My floors looked just like yours, and walls/ baseboards were on their way to that.

You're going to see how your shower was framed out.
LostInLA07
AG
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2936934
Marvin_Zindler
AG
God Speed OP. If you have any questions along the way, this board is fully capable of addressing them.
The Fife
I'm just now looking at the pictures - they don't show up at work but do at home.

To put it in scientific terms, your shower is completely borked due to a lack of or improperly installed waterproofing. There is no quick fix to this other than not using it any more. Might have to rework a bit of framing once it gets demo'd out, might not. It all depends on what you see when that wall is opened up.
Whitetail
AG
I completely replaced a shower for a much smaller leak.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.