One Week Bathroom Renovation

43,842 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sazerac
AggieFactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The day has finally come that we are renovating the Master Bath. And yes, as the title suggest, I am attempting to get this all done in one week. I have taken off from work and the wife and kid are staying at the in-laws for the whole week so there should be no distractions. My advice to anyone trying to get this done this quick is PLAN AHEAD and have as much stuff ready to just plug in as possible. I have spent the past few years measuring and remeasuring our house to create an exact copy in sketchup. This has allowed me to pre-build as much stuff as possible and to get an exact count of all materials. We have also made some sacrifices as far as materials go so that they are readily available, and anything that has to be custom ordered was able to already be precisely measured and ordered, knowing that it will fit exactly the way it needs to once it gets here.

Now onto the good stuff, some pics. Here are the existing conditions matched up with the hopeful render. At the end of this process, I will do some Property Brothers style GIFS so I can document the entire transformation.

Entrance into the bathroom

The Vanity, Tub and Shower

The Water Closet, Vanity, and Linen Closet

View from the Water Closet (it is the guest shower right now)

Cabinets and Pocket Door Frame Pre-built

And most importantly, the supplies that are going to get me through this

Now a few particulars. The floor is a wood plank tile from Floor and Decor. The shower is going to be a simple white subway tile with a marble mosaic inlay that matches the floor. The shower enclosure is a kit that comes from Build.com, the exact model escapes me right now but once it arrives I will let you all know. The tub is a Kingston Brass Aqua Eden that I originally found on Way-fair but ended up purchasing through Amazon for almost $100 less. All the cabinets have been custom built my me. I do not know if you all can tell from the entrance photo but there will also be a double pocket door. Right now, I am going to attempt to put a cable and pulley system together for it that I saw on YouTube that allows they to open and close in sync, instead of individually. Hopefully I will have video of that for you all as well.

The schedule is going to go something like this:

Saturday - Demo Day
Sunday - Demo, Plumbing, and Rough Framing (Cabinet sanding and painting at night)
Monday - Plumbing, Electrical, and Drywall (Cabinet sanding and painting at night)
Tuesday - Drywall, Flooring, and Shower Floor (Cabinet sanding and painting at night)
Wednesday - Shower walls, Wainscoting, Cabinet Installation, Floor Grouting, and Countertop Measurements
Thursday - Trim work, Paint Prep, Shower Wall Grouting, First Coat of Paint
Friday - Second Coat of Paint, Light Fixture installation, and Final Clean

Friday afternoon I have to leave for College Station for a wedding so that needs to be the end of the project. The countertop guys need 10 days for fabrication so those wont be installed until the next weekend but if all the above gets done I will still consider this a successful ONE WEEK installation.

And we are off.
toolshed
AG
T&P's...
investorAg83
AG
In...
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Subscribed. T&Ps. Stay hydrated.
K_P
AG
Good luck !
Gary79Ag
AG
Best of luck cause there's no telling what's behind those walls until you open them up! ">
cas8019
AG
My back hurts for you. Good luck
RK
AG
Bud Heavy.
txag2008
AG
Wow. The renderings looks great. Are you an artist/graphic artist by day?
AggieFactor
AG
txag2008 just been using SketchUp for almost a decade now so I have gotten pretty proficient in it. The renderings are from a plug-in called Shaderlight. Highly recommend it for anyone wanting to render drawings.

Well first speed bump encountered. The wall demo went pretty well and i thought we were on schedule until I went to start pulling up the tile. Apparently when they did the bathroom, someone thought it would be a great idea to set 3" x 3" tile in 4 INCHES OF F****** MORTAR. I can't make this up. Did not think i was going to need a jack hammer for an interior remodel.

No way I am going to try to attack that tonight. My brother is coming over tomorrow to help so hopefully with the help of a jackhammer we can still have this thing completely demo'd by lunch time and stay one schedule.
The Fife
Just now noticed this thread... T&P on getting this one done in a week! My guess is you're looking at about twice that on the short end. That's an awful lot of changes to be making to one (two? ) bathrooms.
bam02
AG
Is this a realtor listing or are your doors really 4 feet wide?
Gary79Ag
AG
Quote:

Best of luck cause there's no telling what's behind those walls until you open them up! ">
FIFMB...Fixed It For Myself Below cause I should have been more specific! ">

Best of luck cause there's no telling what's behind those walls or under those floors until you open them up!
YellAg2004
AG
AggieFactor said:

Apparently when they did the bathroom, someone thought it would be a great idea to set 3" x 3" tile in 4 INCHES OF F****** MORTAR.
That's called a skim coat.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
This will be really hard to do in one week

Doing two baths and now a whole house remodel after Harvey flooded my house I realize that nothing is square ever and you really need to cheat on things here and there to get it to look right

Thoughts and prayers
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I think it's really cool your wife let's you hang your fishing lures in the bathroom, but I don't see where you moved them to in the new rendering?
jt2hunt
AG
Professional tile installers will do a mudset. Mostly only on high end stuff nowadays. Goods news is a sledgehammer and one can knock it failry quickly.
Aggiemike96
AG
In. Following your progress.

I tried this once...thought it would be a month, turned into 6 years. LOL.
toolshed
AG
From your picture it looks like you have an older pier and beam home? I think I see the shiplap diagonal subfloor across the floor joists. Mud beds in these situations are pretty common. It allowed for and absorbed some movement in the structure. I've found them in most older homes (1900-1950's). Concrete slab homes have them, for similar reasons, and as stated earlier it's typically used in higher end homes. We are remodeling an early to mid 80's home that was in a "nicer" part of a neighborhood and it has them.

The Ditra waffle shaped uncoupling membrane does the same thing now, as does a hardi backer on the floor, in addition to a latex thinset. All are compensating for or allowing some movement in the structure to minimize grout/ tile cracking.
The Fife
That bathroom to me looks absolutely '70s between the layout and the tile color choice and installation method. That was about the only time they did that big opening between the bedroom and bathroom and they'd carpet right up to the vanity where the sinks were. It makes zero sense to me. The '70s are also around the tail end of when people were still doing mudbeds. I've seen a couple from the '80s but only on the early end.

I noticed a pocket door in the rendering but didn't see one in the pictures. Is that still in the gameplan?
AggieFactor
AG
Fife, the pocket door is definitely still on, and the frame got installed tonight. Don't have to many pictures today. The demo of the floor actually wasn't too bad after I rented a 20lb hammer from HD. It also had a wire mesh integrated into it which made it a little cumbersome but not too bad. Between the tile floor and the entire guest bath shower, my brother and I got everything demo'd in a couple hours. I spent most of the afternoon under the house getting all the plumbing situated. Going tomorrow morning to 84 Lumber to pick up the Advantech floor. I would normally go with standard 3/4" OSB and add another 1/2" layer to minimize the sub-floor deflection for the tile floor but the Master Bedroom's hardwoods don't allow for that thick of floor. Advantech has an even stiffer rating than plywood so it solves the issue with one 3/4" layer. Once I get the sub-floor in place I will be able to bring the plumbing up through the floor. Bathtub also arrives tomorrow morning so fingers crossed, this time tomorrow (or earlier), the tub will be installed, the shower framed out, the water closet plumbed, and the electrical started.

Demo

Pocket Door

sts7049
Oogway
Good luck! I'm going to follow this one...

You reno-heavy guys are going to shake your heads, but as pretty as the new bath will be, I didn't see anything bad about the old one...I have zero design sense and as long as something is easy to clean and maintain (since I'm the one cleaning it), I'm a happy woman.

That being said, I do like a nice bright area in the bathrooms, and yours achieves that very well. Hope the rest goes smoothly for you!
Scriffer
AG
Bump and getting on Watch List.
ellebee
Is he dead yet?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
ellebee said:

Is he dead yet?

Not sure, but if he is dead, it does answer the question of how long or if one can survive on Red Bull/bud light/protein shakes and Motrin alone...
dubi
AG
You have big balls attempting this in a week!

Update?
The Fife
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

ellebee said:

Is he dead yet?

Not sure, but if he is dead, it does answer the question of how long or if one can survive on Red Bull/bud light/protein shakes and Motrin alone...
Minus the Bud Light, that's what I did when moving across the country. The longest day was taking a moving truck from eastern Arizona west to LA, then turning north on I-5 and reaching the CA/OR border before calling it a night. I think it was about 20, maybe 21 hours on the road.
Bobcat-Ag
The Fife said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

ellebee said:

Is he dead yet?

Minus the Bud Light, that's what I did when moving across the country. The longest day was taking a moving truck from eastern Arizona west to LA, then turning north on I-5 and reaching the CA/OR border before calling it a night. I think it was about 20, maybe 21 hours on the road.
I would have fallen asleep!
htxag09
AG
Guys and gals, he's attempting a bathroom model in a week...he doesn't have time to post on TexAgs!!! I do wish he would, though....
ellebee
Who's gonna create the death pool spreadsheet?
Bobcat-Ag
ellebee said:

Would we need to have separate pool for if he dies while remodeling or death from the wife because he didn't get it finished?
ellebee
Bobcat-Ag said:

ellebee said:

Would we need to have separate pool for if he dies while remodeling or death from the wife because he didn't get it finished?

I like your thinking. I also like the fact that you post from a computer where you have excel.
Bobcat-Ag
ellebee said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

ellebee said:

I like your thinking. I also like the fact that you post from a computer where you have excel.
Well, how many entries will we have? I need to know how big this spreadsheet is gonna get!
ellebee

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.