Dryer vent connection - dealing with getting hose to connect to wall pipe

5,694 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by metrag06
metrag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wall connection for our dryer appears to be just a bit larger than 4" and we're having trouble getting a hose to reliably connect. This weekend after the flexible tubing we've been using finally fell off we decided to replace with one of these kits with the elbow connectors. Instructions said to cut a slit in the end connecting to wall to allow it to slip over the pipe.

Unfortunately - in doing this the pipe is so large it still leaves a sizeable gap where the elbow connector is split to allow it to slip over. My suggestion was to just wrap with HVAC tape but my wife is concerned that the sticky side would collect lint and eventually burn through if there was a fire. Could I instead just put the hose connector inside the wall pipe and then wrap everything with HVAC tape to ensure it stays connected? Any other ideas?
87IE
AG
I like to use this connector to hook up the dryer hose to the inlet at the wall.

Some of the foil tape is fire ******ant as well.
Koko Chingo
AG
I read the reviews for the link you posted. For most people this works great, for others it will not fit, just as you posted. It might just be one of those things. Buy a different kit and try it out.

It doesn't really make sense 4in = 4in. Sometimes there are some anomalies and that's the way it goes.

I would not want to use HVAC tape or use those foil thin vent hoses. I use and like the connector setup that 87IE recommended.

Dryer vents can be a pain in the rear end. Remember not to overtighten the hose clamps.

-- Also a funny side note. When you click on the link 87IE provides, Home Depot lists the product category under "Grow Room Ventilation".
metrag06
AG
Think I've got it beat, it stands out a bit further from the wall than I'd like but it's much more stable than what we had before.

I bought a 4" vent extension which was able to fit inside the existing vent in wall, then wrapped that connection with HVAC tape just to be safe. I was able to easily connect the kit I had to this vent piece using the clamps I had.

So far it seems to be holding up well and not venting a bit into the room as it had been before. The vent kit is semi-rigid aluminum, not the older foil type.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.