Honeywell Water Heater Gas Valve

4,927 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by stevon
tamutaylor12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mine needs to be replaced because honeywell makes such a crap product. Evidently this is very common. Im getting the part for free. How much should I be paying the plumber for labor? First guy I called wants $400. I have no problem paying fair market value but don't want to get ripped off.
JP76
Can you post a picture ?
Dr. Doctor
AG
It can be changed in about 30 minutes.

Drain the heater (depending on which type it is; one has the thermocouple in the tank, which would drain water on you).

turn off gas, disconnect gas line

Unscrew control device

screw in new one (with teflon paste/tape)

Reconnect gas line with teflon paste/tape

Turn back on

Turn on water

~egon
tamutaylor12

It is flashing 4 times which indicated overheating and prevents the burner from turning on. Its a very common malfunction. Egon's post makes it seem like $400 is steep for a quick job.
JP76
For a licensed plumber you are probably looking $100-$200 labor

Where are you located at?
tamutaylor12
Round rock. First plumber that I had out said $400.
tamutaylor12
Worth noting that I've called quite a few places and they say "we don't do that". Seems bizarre to me.
JP76
What brand is the water heater ?
tamutaylor12
Whirlpool
87IE
AG
I wonder if the $400 quote included pulling a permit or if they threw a high number because they didn't want the job?

JP76
tamutaylor12 said:

Worth noting that I've called quite a few places and they say "we don't do that". Seems bizarre to me.

It's probably because whirlpool heaters are notorious for problems and being a crap product. Search whirlpool class action lawsuit on their gas heaters. This was a problem starting at least 10 years ago with them .
How old is the water heater ?

If it's over 7 years I would seriously think about replacing it with a Rheem or AO smith instead of paying a plumber labor to replace the gas module.
tamutaylor12
It's only a few years old. I ended up paying the guy to do it. I highly recommend avoiding whirlpool in the future. I certainly will.
TXTransplant
How old is it? I believe these were recalled (by Honeywell). I was able to get a plumber to swap my valve out at no cost (right around the three-year mark, IIRC). Requested it after several neighbors had catastrophic failures that did water damage.
dubi
AG
tamutaylor12 said:

It's only a few years old. I ended up paying the guy to do it. I highly recommend avoiding whirlpool in the future. I certainly will.

You need to makes friends with the neighbor who has tools. That was a total ripoff and I think you could have done it!

Heck, I am a middle aged mom and I could do it.
tamutaylor12
I'm sure I could have but I'm slammed at work this week and have company coming over this weekend. The number of companies that turned me down even though I already had the part at home led me to just getting it done. If I had more time it would have been a good weekend project. Anyways, thanks all for the help.
REMtx
How long did it take to get a replacement Honeywell unit?

My Honeywell crapped out on me this weekend. I have a AOSmith tank though but that same Honeywell controller. My tank is 5 years old, and should have a six year warranty.

Not sure if I should get a new tank or not. Don't want something else to break down a year or two down the road out of warranty and have to get a complete new tank when I should have replaced it earlier. Thoughts? Plumber who checked out my problem recommended Rheem.
stevon
I had a replacement valve sent to me after 1-1/2 year. These valves are defective from the start brand new and Honeywell knows this but does not fix it. I am on my second valve that failed 1 month after it was installed, what a pile of crap! Now needing warranty replacement part for the defective warranty replacement part! an incredible waste of time and aggravation with 4 women in my house chewing my ass each and every single day! + I don't enjoy cold showers either! the valve Rheem sent me is part# WV8860C1008. The water heater is less than 2 years old and I have had about of 6 months carefree use for all of that time. The water heater cost $600, its a Rheem 40 gallon, 38,000 BTU Ultra Low NOx model number XG40T06EN38UO. I'm handy so I installed it myself it has a bogus "6 Year" warranty. Only the first year covers labor the rest is just for parts. So to have reliable hot water this unit requires you to "stock a replacement valve at all times and to fill the landfill with the defective ones" what garbage, what no class action lawsuit? sign me up for one. The Honeywell valve has been known to be defective for years, why can't they or why are they unwilling to fix this? and why are they allowed to keep selling their junk in the world? Somebody needs to wipe them off the map with a better product, Honeywell and their products need to go to the scrap heap with all of their defective parts to save the world ecology and the customer as well, they need to become a bad memory in the past tense
Potcake
AG
We have two State water heaters. Between the two of them, we've had to replace those same gas control valves five times since 2012.
tweekac
AG
What issues were you having that led to replacing the gas control valve? I have two State water heaters with the same Honeywell control valves, and I just starting having issues with the pilot not staying lit. I'm getting the double flash, which would be low thermopile voltage, but when I hook up a multimeter to the thermopile wires with the pilot lit, I get a max reading of 712mV, which I understand 650-800mV is typical.
Potcake
AG
We know there is a problem when no hot water. Try to relight and nothing. This last time, the dishwasher wasn't heating and after a couple times I went out and checked the heater. Yea, we got the same thermopile messages and the first two times the repairman went down that path before figuring it was the control valve. Now, when we call for service we just tell them it is the valve.
stevon
stevon said:

I had a replacement valve sent to me after 1-1/2 year. These valves are defective from the start brand new and Honeywell knows this but does not fix it. I am on my second valve that failed 1 month after it was installed, what a pile of crap! Now needing warranty replacement part for the defective warranty replacement part! an incredible waste of time and aggravation with 4 women in my house chewing my ass each and every single day! + I don't enjoy cold showers either! the valve Rheem sent me is part# WV8860C1008. The water heater is less than 2 years old and I have had about of 6 months carefree use for all of that time. The water heater cost $600, its a Rheem 40 gallon, 38,000 BTU Ultra Low NOx model number XG40T06EN38UO. I'm handy so I installed it myself it has a bogus "6 Year" warranty. Only the first year covers labor the rest is just for parts. So to have reliable hot water this unit requires you to "stock a replacement valve at all times and to fill the landfill with the defective ones" what garbage, what no class action lawsuit? sign me up for one. The Honeywell valve has been known to be defective for years, why can't they or why are they unwilling to fix this? and why are they allowed to keep selling their junk in the world? Somebody needs to wipe them off the map with a better product, Honeywell and their products need to go to the scrap heap with all of their defective parts to save the world ecology and the customer as well, they need to become a bad memory in the past tense
Hey guy's I did receive my second replacement gas Honeywell valve WV8860C1008 and put it in my Rheem water heater and saved Christmas for my family. Water heater has now been working for 3 days knock on wood with no "flame outs" so far. But I don't trust this design. I cleaned some spider webs, replaced the exhaust flue twice to try to fix this issue ( see pictures) This seems to be some sort of design flaw that nobody is fixing! No class action suit? Thousands of people are suffering every day without hot water that they paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars to install brand new water heaters. What the hell is going on? does anybody have a solution that does not require me to junk my new water heater and buy another brand? (most use this dam Honeywell valve anyways)

Stephen
stevon
Potcake said:

We have two State water heaters. Between the two of them, we've had to replace those same gas control valves five times since 2012.
I am not a licenced HVAC guy but I am pretty handy. I cleaned some spider webs and changed the exhaust flue with no improvement. Something is amiss in the design of the water heater or the Honeywell gas control valve. I suspect that the Honeywell gas control valve is the culprit because no mater what brand water heater you have, if you have this valve you will see a common failure issue experienced by many. I'm looking into a Robert Shaw conversion of valve and full burner assembly.

Stephen
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.