Help: Removing Built in "Shelves"

1,930 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Original AG 76
agpt12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[img][url=https://postimg.org/image/bgvkwswyr/][/url][/img][img][url=https://postimg.org/image/nwsaqjqar/][/url][/img]

My wife and I bought a model home this past April. The shelves were built in to one of the bedrooms as a "showroom" for tile/carpet samples. The shelves make the room much smaller and eliminate the ability to put a bed flush with the wall.

Would love recommendations for how to remove these without causing any damage. I am unable to locate any screws or anything.

Thanks in advance!
Long Live Sully
AG
Start with a razor knife on top running it along the wall and see if you get down to any screws. More than likely, you they were installed with a trim nailer and you can use a small trim pry bar to gently pry away from the wall. You will probably have to do some retexturing either way.

The Fife
If you end up prying, I'd recommend sliding a drywall knife between the shelf and wall to keep from denting the drywall.
JP76
Cut the caulk with a razor where the wood meets the drywall. If you can look at it at an angle and see where the nails are you can probably take a punch and punch the nail through the wood and It will make it easier to pry off. Use a block of wood horizontal against the studs about 24 inches wide to pry against so you do not dent the drywall.
62strat
AG
Maybe too late for this.. but why weren't they removed from the home if they were for display purposes? After a model sells, they are supposed to bring the home to 'normal' condition.. obvious things like converting the sales office back to a garage, etc. This seems like it should have been on that list.

Call your builder and see if they should have been removed, you never know.
Majestic
Give us a call, let's see what we can do for you! Free estimates.
Majestic
Raven Ramirez
817-856-8251
The Original AG 76
AG
62strat said:

Maybe too late for this.. but why weren't they removed from the home if they were for display purposes? After a model sells, they are supposed to bring the home to 'normal' condition.. obvious things like converting the sales office back to a garage, etc. This seems like it should have been on that list.

Call your builder and see if they should have been removed, you never know.
100% sure that the builder will do the work for you. Wife sold many many models and it is SOP for ALL builders to make em " normal". he hardest part was when a buyer wanted to keep the features intact.
Sounds like someone just missed putting in a work order.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.