Mstr Bath/Shower/Closet project

19,927 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wanderer
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking good! Sleeve insulation is no joke, that thing will be sweating more than you were up in the attic.
Gary79Ag
AG
I assume you're going to insulate that ductwork...aren't you?
txag2008
AG
quote:
Got everything pieced together and sealed with mastic. Still need to get some sleeve insulation

Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Got everything pieced together and sealed with mastic. Still need to get some sleeve insulation

Got ya...guess I overlooked that comment when checking out the pics!
txag2008
AG
Got enough chipped away to prep for the shower drain. There is an existing 2" copper drain that I'll be joining to 2" pvc with a coupling. I also got my shower niche framed out so everything is ready for drywall.

txag2008
AG
Slowly starting to look like a shower

10andBOUNCE
AG
Don't forget to add your garbage disposal to your shower.
The Fife
Fun stuff! Also thanks for the reminder for why I <3 pier and beam
txag2008
AG
It's been awhile since I've last updated the thread.

Over the past few wks.....electrical is completed, all drywall is in, cabinets are built & painted, water to shower is plumbed in and shower floor has been raised ~2". I'll be getting the mud/tape/texture guy/s over as soon as I can. This is a job I'm subbing out as it doesn't sound like much fun to do.

Shower niche framed in & installed

Drywall completed (excuse the bad lighting, I only have a hanging light in place until mud/tap/texture is completed)

I had to raise the shower 1 3/4-2" in order for their to be enough room to set my shower drain. There's an existing 2" copper line that I've used a shielded rubber boot to transistion to 2" PVC before attaching to my drain. It was either lower the existing p-trap or raise the floor...

Before

Bonding slurry going down

After

The cabinets are all completed as well. I drew them up how I wanted and sent them to my dad's cabinet guy. They're now painted and ready to be put in place.

The Fife
Yup... you're going to get through before we do.
txag2008
AG
We'll see....

Your project is also a bit bigger, so I have that going for me.
txag2008
AG
Over the weekend and this morning the tape/mud/texture/painting was completed. I was going to hold off on painting until after the tile is in, but since I was looking to match my existing (sand) texture, it was rolled on with the paint. These aren't very exciting pictures, but here ya go.

Also over the weekend I picked up the tile that will be going in the main bathroom area.

Kerdi membrane is next on the to-do list.
txag2008
AG
As an aside, my Christmas flood lights work great as texture/painting lights.
beachfront71
AG

Curious why you choose greenboard for the shower walls over a cement based product?
The Fife
quote:

Curious why you choose greenboard for the shower walls over a cement based product?
Kerdi is approved for use over drywall. There is no advantage to using cement board here.
txag2008
AG
quote:
Kerdi is approved for use over drywall. There is no advantage to using cement board here.
What Fife said. In reality there was no reason for me to even use green board vs regular drywall.
beachfront71
AG

Got it.
Didnt see/know the kerdi install was coming..

txag2008
AG
Starting to precut my tile for the floor, plan on laying it on Saturday.

The Fife
Never thought of precutting... that might be a good idea.
txag2008
AG
I planned on laying tile yesterday but was having issues with the saw binding when trying to cut. Ended up needing a new blade and now cuts good as new. Trying for the day not to be a total waste, I decided to put up Kerdi membrane in the shower. Was similar to putting up wallpaper. A pretty easy process but took a little bit longer than I expected.

Today all the tile went down. I'm happy with the end result, but with how my back and knees feel after laying only 45 ft I don't think I have a new career in my future.

It will be a few weeks untill I'm able to get the vanity, so the plan is to start on the closet shelving so we can get rid of our makeshift closet setup in the bedroom.
The Fife
Playing devil's advocate a little, but you did remember to overlap the seams by a couple of inches?
txag2008
AG
Definitely, it's not clearly evenident in the pictures I guess. In the case of the picture with the niche, it's overlapped probably 6"
txag2008
AG
Not a whole lot going on right now. Just grouting the floor and making the closet shelving. The vanity/countertop will go in this weekend as well as the cabinet above the toilet.

In other news, our rodent friend has returned. I have a circle piece of plywood secured to the toilet flange bolts to make a secure covering. Every few nights we hear our buddy scratching/gnawing the underside of the plywood. It'll do this for a few minutes until I throw a shoe or something at it. Right now my plan is to buy some rat poison and drop it into the drain before bed the next few nights. My only hesitation in doing so is the smell that will occur if/when it dies in the sewer line and it possibly creating a blockage in the line.
The Fife
I've always stuffed a couple of grocery bags in open drain holes, but it sounds like I'd better give that a second thought!
txag2008
AG
Yeah a few months back the rat actually came into the bathroom after chewing through the old t-shirt I had stuffed down the drain.

It's been two days since it has visited so maybe it's gone. Gonna hold off on the poison for now for the simple fact that I don't want a clogged line after it dies.
DriftwoodAg
AG
txag2008 said:

Yeah a few months back the rat actually came into the bathroom after chewing through the old t-shirt I had stuffed down the drain.

It's been two days since it has visited so maybe it's gone. Gonna hold off on the poison for now for the simple fact that I don't want a clogged line after it dies.
can you screw a snap trap to the bottom of the plywood you cover the drain with?
txag2008
AG
That's a decent idea I haven't thought about.

There might be enough room to screw on a mouse trap (not a rat trap). I'll have to give it a look.
txag2008
AG
Game on

txag2008
AG
It's been a bit since my last post, but work has still been progressing.

Got the floor tile grouted last weekend but the color was blotchy & inconsistent. I'm chalking it up to sponge cleaning it too soon and too wet of a sponge throughout the process. Tonight I stained all the lines and I'm happy with the results.

The shower drain tie-in is done. I ended up using a shielded rubber coupling to connect my existing copper (I think) drain to my kerdi drain. I did a 24hr water test with a drain plug and everything held. With the drain in place I was able to put the rest of the kerdi pan in and extend it to the wall with dry pack mortar. After that the kerdi membrane went down. I'll be completely though with waterproofing after laying 4" kerdi strips along the base.

Overhead toilet cabinet hung (need to trim the top of it with some crown)

Two 4x8' sheets of 3/4" MDF (ripped into 4 12" pieces), rod hangers & a few support brackets and I have the closet shelving complete with just a bit of painting left. Came in at a total cost of ~$75ish.

With the grout staining complete I'll now be able to put in the vanity and toilet and make the bathroom somewhat functional.
The Fife
Looking good! Might want to think about baseboards before putting in the toilet, at least for that one wall. Between the tank, water line and valve sticking out from the wall a lot of the time it's impossible to get the piece behind the toilet in there after the toilet is in.
txag2008
AG
Good thinking. I'll hold off on the toilet until baseboards are in. I'm having to hold off on baseboards until I can find a carpet guy to come out for such a small job. (restretching 15' of existing carpet & install of 42sq ft of pad/carpet).
txag2008
AG
Updates
--100% complete with shower waterproofing
--Got the vanity, countertop, & sink hardware in place.

Work is going to pretty well stall for the next few weekends as it's now Christmas light season and there's a lot of work to do.

The Fife
Never seen a vanity like that before, where'd it come from?
txag2008
AG
My dad is a custom home builder so I drew up what I wanted and he had the guy that usually builds his cabinets build it. I drew it up to maximize storage space and allow for the bigger 2 drawers along the bottom.

Mike88
AG
Who is your cabinet maker?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.