Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan -- Lights Flash

38,025 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like the title says... I've got Harbor Breeze ceiling fans in three rooms in my house (the 4th fan wasn't actually awful so I kept it when I moved in). All three fans are 6.5 years old. All of them are wired the same. One wall switch for the lights and one wall switch for the fan. All three of them have a built in delay when you turn on the lights. IIRC this is due to a wattage limiter inside the light kit that has to do it's thing before the lights come one.

The fan in the den, and especially that light kit gets the most use. Last weekend it learned a new trick. When I turned on the lights the delay was longer than usual, then the lights flashed on and off a couple times before turning on and staying on. Now they just flash on and off. What's the fix? The fan portion is still functioning normally.
UnderoosAg
AG
The limiter is dead. You can bypass it and lights should work. Pull the light kit off and you'll see the little gray/black POS box and how it sits between the incoming hot and the lights themselves.

Your other ones are probably dying. There shouldn't be a delay unless you have CFL or LED that need a half sec to fire up.
Gary79Ag
AG
Underoos is correct. See the following video for details on how to eliminate the POS limiter.

POS Limiter Removal Video
Kenneth_2003
AG
There has always been a brief one second or so delay. Never used CFLS or LED, just the G-type incandescent that actually came with the light kit.

So WTH is that limiter even in there?

Thanks
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
There has always been a brief one second or so delay. Never used CFLS or LED, just the G-type incandescent that actually came with the light kit.

So WTH is that limiter even in there?

Thanks
$$$$ for placement purposes...

And the fustration that goes along with them!
The Collective
AG
nanny state bull****.
bb2003
AG
Try changing the bulbs. Or just removing one. I put 4 60w in a fan designed for 4 40w and it did the same thing. Took one out and it worked fine.
UnderoosAg
AG
quote:
nanny state bull****.

That. It has to do with an EPACT requirement limiting the lighting load in a ceiling fan.
UnderoosAg
AG
quote:
Try changing the bulbs. Or just removing one. I put 4 60w in a fan designed for 4 40w and it did the same thing. Took one out and it worked fine.

In your case, it did what it is supposed to do. You exceeded the rating of the fan, and also the 190W EPACT limit, and the black box told on you. OP's lights have been trucking along fine until the box **** the bed. And technically, you still have a no-no since you have a 60W lamp in a socket rated for 40W.

OE_Ag11
AG
quote:
Underoos is correct. See the following video for details on how to eliminate the POS limiter.

I kept thinking POS stands for piece of s*** not power on switch

Good to know the fix is easy though
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I kept thinking POS stands for piece of s*** not power on switch

Good to know the fix is easy though
Potato...pototo...same difference!
Sazerac
AG
I took out the limiter on one of my fans. It was causing the lights to completely go out when using the remote to increase the intensity.

limiter out. lights now get bright and don't cut out.

however....the fan speeds are now much lower than before. Hi is about a low-medium and Med is now a low. Low is slow motion. These new speeds are regardless of if the lights are on or off.
UnderoosAg
AG
Most of the limiters are wired at the light kit independently of the fan. You might need holy water.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Most of the limiters are wired at the light kit independently of the fan. You might need holy water.
Was thinking the same thing... Even not knowing much about the limiters, light kits are generally independent of the fan. Even fans that don't have them can frequently have light kits added or vise versa.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.