Ply Gem versus American Craftsman Vinyl Windows

7,694 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gary79Ag
Gary79Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning to replace 12 windows in house with vinyl windows during remodel and I'm trying to decide which brand to go with.

American Craftsman Series 50 windows or Ply Gem Series 6100 windows.

What say you on which is the better of 2 options?

TIA

[This message has been edited by Gary79Ag (edited 4/16/2014 1:18p).]
Gary79Ag
AG
ttt
Gary79Ag
AG
ttt after revision of question...
Aggietaco
AG
Honestly, your best shot at getting opinions is researching on the different window and contractor forums.
03_Aggie
Here is what I learned from my shopping replacement windows:

Are the frames the same size? Like cars, there are typically different line-ups by each manufacturer with one frame being smaller/narrower (see examples below). You want to make sure they are truely apples to apples comparisons (outside of both being vinyl frames). If they are and they both have an alminum rod in the sash to prevent sagging then the ultimate difference is your confidence in the installation crew and warranty.

The windows will most likely perform the same from an efficiency standpoint in a vacuum. The major variable that can affect performance is the quality of the installation.

Gary79Ag
AG
Thanks 03 Aggie...that's kinda what I've determined as well and as of yesterday I was able to discern that the Ply Gem window has a 3-1/2" depth frame versus a 2-11/16" for the American Craftsman window. Beefier window that provides more coverage of the frame extending over the brick wall framing area as well.

Plus the PG windows utilize a Constant Force Balance mechanism versus the older Block and Tackle Balance mechanism on the AC windows. CFB appears to be a better quality and a more improved balance mechanism from the research I've done.

Plus the PG windows also includes a one-time transferable warranty whereas the AC warranty is not transferable.

At this point I'm leaning towards the PG windows.
MasterOfNone
I'm window shopping and the lack of information out there is driving me mad, I'm strongly considering the Plygem 6100's. Did you go with them? How are they holding up now that it's been a few years? Would you buy them again?
Gary79Ag
AG
MasterOfNone said:

I'm window shopping and the lack of information out there is driving me mad, I'm strongly considering the Plygem 6100's. Did you go with them? How are they holding up now that it's been a few years? Would you buy them again?
Go with the Plygem 6100's. You'll thank me later!!!

Yes, I went with the PG windows and couldn't be happier as I have 2 houses (hopefully only 1 after the 20th). I went with the AC windows in the house we're selling and went with the PG windows in the house we're keeping. They're 2 houses apart so the environment, etc, are all the same!

Anyways, the AC windows did okay but the PG windows beat them hands down due to the balancing mechanism differences and the thickness differences of the windows. I had to replace a pane on an AC window and the balancing mechanism was a pain in the arse trying to reinstall the window in the repair process.

Yes, I'd buy them again as I'm in the process of finishing out the master bedroom, bathroom and closet and have to replace a few old windows and will go with PG again!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.