I've now played two rounds at Pebble. I have an opinion.

3,893 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by CapCity12thMan
DOCAG79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Played PB twice. Agree that the holes on the water make the course but the rest is non exciting. Also, played the first time in perfect weather. Caddy said they get 5 days a year like that. Second time it was cold, windy and spitting rain. All for way too much money!
As a friend one told me, if PB was 5 miles inland, nobody would play it. Just my opinion.
aggiebonzo
AG
That's Torrey Pines. Waste of golf architecture for that primo location.
The Milkman
AG
Agreed. Torrey is a garbage course that is on the coast.

For example: the tour is there every year … and I bet most golf fans can really only identify 2 holes on the course. Just how forgettable it is
bagger05
AG
The north course has the best stretch of holes. I think it's now 15/16/17. Par 3 hitting down toward the water, par 4 up the hill, par 5 along the arroyo.

On the south course the first par 5 on the back is a fantastic hole. They have a cool downhill par 3 on the front (maybe #4?) but other than that it's just tough.
SW AG80
AG
My mother passed away in April of my Jr. year at A&M. So that summer, 1979, my dad, brother and I took a long trip together to Vegas and California. On July 3, which would have been my parents' anniversary, we walk into the pro shop at PB and say, in our west Texas accents, we want to play PB today.

Pro says it's $50 a person and tee off whenever you want. My dad says I'm not paying $50 to play golf. My brother and I tell him we are paying his green fee.

In 1979 the country was in a bad recession. Except not Texas. Oil was at an all time high. There was only one other group on the course and they were way ahead of us.

Our round took at least 6 hours. We took second and third shots. Had putting and chipping matches. Took pictures that I still have.

Truly one of the best memories of my life.
TBufkin11
AG
Thanks for sharing! What a special memory for you.
KaneIsAble
AG
I guess the key is early tee times? In December we had 3 groups go off in the first 3 tee times and none of us ever got backed up and we were all walking.
93MarineHorn
agsalaska said:

CapCity12thMan said:

Austin Men's City Championship last Fri-Sun. Played like I had just jumped in the pool on every tee box, cycling gloves every few holes it is ridiculous. The sweating just doesn't stop.

Nobody wants a 6 hour round, but I would tolerate it at Pebble. It's not like you are in your hometown where you got to get back home to dad life or chores. If I am on vacation I don't have the time pressure I normally do, so for me - that's plenty to just soak in whatever is happening.

We went to the JW Marriott once for mid week vaca and I was playing on one of the courses (again it was miserably hot), but I had nothing else to do that day. got randomly paired up with another single - why when nobody was out there I will never know, but this guy was literally racing through this round..it was irritating to be around. Hitting a putt and walking towards it as it is halfway there and then scurrying to pick it up or get it in the hole to then pick up the flag and stand right next to the hole as I had a putt. After 5 holes I faked "an important phone call" and told him to go ahead.

I don't want to play screaming fast. I don't want to play dog slow either.

That guy is a popular poster in this board. In fact he is several of them.
Agree about the guys that play too fast being very irritating, especially when the course is full and we're not going anywhere. I was paired with a twosome that played like this. I'd be walking up to mark my ball and before I could even read the green they're telling me "don't wait for us, bro, just hit the putt". They didn't bother getting yardages or reading putts, just walk up and hit. They'd rush off the green, race to the next tee box and wait 5 - 10 minutes on the group in front.
CapCity12thMan
AG
too much nervous energy for me - it just drives me crazy. I play fast by hitting the fewest shots in the group. don't @ me
agsalaska
AG
Back in my competitive days I was in a tournament at Grapevine Municipal that was destined to be a 5:30 round and one of the guys I was playing with just couldnt handle the pace. It started to show on the fourth hole when he putted out of turn. By like the 7th hole he was finishing the green before anybody else in the group even had time to mark their balls. He basically did everything he could possibly do to make the situation worse for him.

This was the scratch bracket day two and if I remember right our group were the leaders. This guy probably shot 72 the day before when we were first off but being last off today he blew his lid. Probably shot 45 on the front and walked to his car.

If I am playing in a tournament or for money, which I don't do anymore, but when I did I wanted the round to take as long as possible. So many people just cannot handle it. How hard it it to read your putt twice, take a stroll around the green, double check your yardage, take an extra practice swing. Just slow yourself down a bit. But nope. People just cannot handle it.
bagger05
AG
I'm definitely one of those folks who doesn't handle it well. At least my game doesn't handle it well.

I can get into a really bad loop. Playing super slow makes it hard to find a rhythm, hit bad shots, get a little more frustrated by the slow play, takes me a little more off my game, makes me a little more frustrated, etc.

I am super chill on the course these days, so not like I get pissed off even when I'm hitting it off the planet, but it definitely throws off my performance. Something for me to work on, I guess.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Doesn't really impact my game, but I do think it's just stupid for something that should take less than 4 hours without rushing at all to take 5-6 hours
agsalaska
AG
I think under four hours for a competitive foursome is unreasonable. We probably averaged 4:15-4:30 as foursomes, shooting about par, with probably $500 total dollars changing hands. On average.

Under four hours on a difficult course is difficult for a foursome when there is any kind of money on the line. Four hours should be the target with a 30 minute give. Anything beyond 4:30 needs to speed up a bit.

And anyone who complains at those speeds needs a new hobby.

agsalaska
AG
The people who can't stand a slow round of golf, even on a perfect course on a perfect day, are the same people that go nuts in traffic or when their plane gets delayed, or when service is slow at a restaurant, or when the power is out, or whatever.

That's totally anecdotal, based on maybe ten people I know, not scientific, not absolute, and not meant to be insulting.

I can be that way, so in golf it took time to learn how to handle slow play. It was really when I was living in Vegas about 15 years ago and out there you don't have much of a choice. But I had somewhat of an epiphany one day having a very good round, I think at Rio Secco, but with some really slow tourists jamming up the course. If I was going to finish that round off I had to figure something out so I just completely changed my mindset and embraced it. From then on it was pretty easy to do.
bagger05
AG
agsalaska said:

The people who can't stand a slow round of golf, even on a perfect course on a perfect day, are the same people that go nuts in traffic or when their plane gets delayed, or when service is slow at a restaurant, or when the power is out, or whatever.

That's totally anecdotal, based on maybe ten people I know, not scientific, not absolute, and not meant to be insulting.
Lines up with my experience as well.

Everybody is doing the best they can -- I assume when someone loses their mind over playing bad, playing too slow, playing too fast, or whatever then it's probably about something else.

Certainly was true for me when I used to be less chill out there.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There's a few types of "can't stand" people - there's the angry type whose blood pressure rises, then there is the chill George Carlin "man, people are stupid" type who just kind of marvel at the absurdity while going with the flow. I would confess to being the latter. Probably why my game doesn't go to *****

There are a lot of little things that help massively with pace of play that still allow everyone to take the necessary time on shot selection and putt reading.
CapCity12thMan
AG
you have to learn to play through adversity, whether it is a slow day, poor conditions or when the cart girl just always seems to drive up and make noise multiple times in your round and has no clue to just quiet things down for 60 seconds so you can hit, especially in a tournament when you are on a heater of birdies and have a tough shot coming up. Hypothetically.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.