I've now played two rounds at Pebble. I have an opinion.

3,924 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CapCity12thMan
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it's on your list, definitely go play it.

The stretch of 6 thru 10 is absolutely world class. And there aren't any bad holes out there. Some pale in comparison to the highlights of course, but everything is very fair, strategically there are some you can go get, and others where you have to earn a par.

The course itself is very fun. Not easy but also not brutally difficult.

HOWEVER, the course itself isn't the only factor. The price and the pace are both very real.

Today, we made relatively decent time on the front (played it in under two and a half hours), but the back took us almost THREE AND A HALF HOURS. I timed it and we waited 19 minutes on the tee box on 17.

So while you're out there, it's just really hard to forget that you've paid a lot of money and it's JUST. SO. SLOW.

Honestly, if it's not something you're really pumped about doing, I wouldn't classify it as a must-play. If I was staying out here and a golf buddy came to town and didn't want to play Pebble, I don't think I'd try to convince them they should.

If no one was out in front of us and it cost 40% of what it does, I would put it very high on my list of best courses I've played. But unfortunately that's not the case.

So I do recommend it if you already really want to play it. But if it's not on your list, I wouldn't argue that you should put it on there.

I would sum it up this way: the course is fun, the round not as much so.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I wouldn't play PB twice.
bagger05
AG
I had two golf buddies who came in specifically to play it so that's how this came to be.

And pace of play today was about half an hour worse than last week.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Played it twice. First group off both times, sub 4. That is the way to avoid the pace issue.

But I agree, that pace would ruin any course at any price for me
powerbelly
AG
A six hour round of golf is crazy. That is miserable.
TMan86
AG
I don't know…yesterday I played 18 just outside of Dallas in 3 hours and 45 minutes. I went through two hats, two gloves, sweat pouring into my eyes on putts and when I was finished my clothes clung to me like a wet suit. 6 hours feeling the brisk air off of the Pacific sounds pretty good to me.
Matsui
AG
That is miserable.
TXAGGIES
I played in Portugal in the mountains with a hoodie earlier this week
CapCity12thMan
AG
Austin Men's City Championship last Fri-Sun. Played like I had just jumped in the pool on every tee box, cycling gloves every few holes it is ridiculous. The sweating just doesn't stop.

Nobody wants a 6 hour round, but I would tolerate it at Pebble. It's not like you are in your hometown where you got to get back home to dad life or chores. If I am on vacation I don't have the time pressure I normally do, so for me - that's plenty to just soak in whatever is happening.

We went to the JW Marriott once for mid week vaca and I was playing on one of the courses (again it was miserably hot), but I had nothing else to do that day. got randomly paired up with another single - why when nobody was out there I will never know, but this guy was literally racing through this round..it was irritating to be around. Hitting a putt and walking towards it as it is halfway there and then scurrying to pick it up or get it in the hole to then pick up the flag and stand right next to the hole as I had a putt. After 5 holes I faked "an important phone call" and told him to go ahead.

I don't want to play screaming fast. I don't want to play dog slow either.
Hanrahan
AG
PB is overrated, I've played it multiple times. Holes on the water are incredible show stoppers, rest of course is just nice.... with roads running through a couple holes, fences right along tee box edges and buildings backing up to holes... UPS trucks driving through while you are lining up a shot... would I play it again if given opportunity, yes of course, but it's not the end all be all people make it out to be outside the holes on the water. Lots of better, more spectacular courses out there. plus they treat you as if you are lucky to bet there and the pricing is outrageous for everything on property. I much prefer Bandon over PB. And I prefer spyglass over PB as far as the pebble courses go.
TBufkin11
AG
powerbelly said:

A six hour round of golf is crazy. That is miserable.
If you are "miserable" during a round at PB on a solid weather day with your buddies, then that's on you. I agree the pace is too slow, and we can have a reasonable discussion about the "value" or comparison to Spyglass in the same area. But, there's nothing miserable about playing PB. It's an absolutely beautiful property with an incredible amount of history. Grab a cocktail, enjoy the views and have a great time. Are you really in a big rush to get around the course when you are there? It's absolutely a world class golf course on one some of the best golf real estate in the world! Is it overrated as the number 1 public course in America, possibly. But, it's still an amazing place to play golf.

Go in with the expectations of it being a slow round, and go have a great time. Again, you're outside (hopefully with friends) on some of the most beautiful coastal views in America.

powerbelly
AG
I can grab a cocktail and enjoy the outdoors in great weather without playing a 6 hour round of golf. There is zero reason for pace to be that slow. It is absolutely miserable waiting 20 minutes to hit a tee shot.
El Gallo Blanco
powerbelly said:

I can grab a cocktail and enjoy the outdoors in great weather without playing a 6 hour round of golf. There is zero reason for pace to be that slow. It is absolutely miserable waiting 20 minutes to hit a tee shot.
This, I'd rather go to SoCal...play either Pelican Hill/Monarch Beach/Trump National in 4 hours, then beach bum it the rest of the day.

Can someone explain how pace could be so slow at such a course? I woulds think a place that is likely visited more by avid golfers as opposed to hacks would have a pretty reasonable pace?
TBufkin11
AG
powerbelly said:

have you played pebble?
TBufkin11
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

powerbelly said:

This, I'd rather go to SoCal...play either Pelican Hill/Monarch Beach/Trump National in 4 hours, then beach bum it the rest of the day.
have you played pebble?
El Gallo Blanco
TBufkin11 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

powerbelly said:

have you played pebble?
No, being from the miserable hot ugly swamp that is Houston, those other courses are PLENTY good for me. I will never knowingly sign up for a 6+ hour round of golf.

Pelican Hill

Trump National

Monarch Beach

I have played each of those in 4 or less and they were AWESOME.
powerbelly
AG
Nope, but there isn't a course in the world that makes a 6 hour round of golf worth it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

powerbelly said:

Can someone explain how pace could be so slow at such a course? I woulds think a place that is likely visited more by avid golfers as opposed to hacks would have a pretty reasonable pace?

The scenery and high profile history of the course still draws a lot of non-avid golfers, which small greens well protected by deep bunkers is definitely a time sink for hacks. Then mix in stopping down for pics.

One thing I also noticed with groups behind us is that the Japanese golfers were SO slow.
El Gallo Blanco
DannyDuberstein said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

powerbelly said:

The scenery and high profile history of the course still draws a lot of non-avid golfers, which small greens well protected by deep bunkers is definitely a time sink for hacks. Then mix in stopping down for pics.

One thing I also noticed with groups behind us is that the Japanese golfers were SO slow.
Makes sense.

Interesting on the Japanese golfers...because Korean golfers are the exact opposite. Fastest I have ever seen. Bro and I tee'd off behind a foursome of old Korean ladies at Pinecrest in Houston a handful of yrs ago and were thinking "here we go". We played at a good pace and never caught them.
TBufkin11
AG
Those look like beautiful courses. I'm sure they are amazing. Would love to play them. I'm certainly not saying that you should want to play PB daily or even annually, but given it looks like you have the means. I would suggest trying PB one time. Just set your expectations to a slower pace, and go enjoy the experience. Think about the great shots you have seen hit during US Opens and the AT&T Pro-Am. I would be absolutely floored if you didn't at least enjoy it, unless it was terrible weather or something. Again, would you think it was a great value or the best course you've ever played, maybe not! But, I love getting to play all different types of courses, and I try to enjoy all of them for their unique experiences.

I understand what the OP is saying, and don't even disagree on a lot of the reasons. But, I think it is worth giving a shot. He even said that holes 6-10 are amazing. They are incredible and worth the cost of the round alone, in my opinion. The shot on 7 is one of a kind, imo. Worst case scenario is you get to check the box of playing what a lot of people consider the best public course in the country.

To eliminate playing Pebble, just because of the pace, that seems like a tough reason to me. It's just one morning or afternoon. Happy to agree to disagree though. Golf should be whatever you want to make of it, so I'm not going to tell any of you that you are "wrong". Just wanted to give a counter experience because I had a slow round at PB, but I still had a wonderful day out there.
TBufkin11
AG
powerbelly said:

Nope, but there isn't a course in the world that makes a 6 hour round of golf worth it.
As I said in my other reply, golf is whatever you want it to be. I won't tell you that you are "wrong". I'm a big pace of play guy, and I agree with your premise in general! I would never sign up for a six hour round at my home course.

However, if someone told me I would get to play St. Andrews, Augusta, Pine Valley, Royal Melbourne, etc. but it would be a six hour round, I'd be absolutely pumped to go play. Would I rather it be 4 hours, sure. While I'm not saying that PB is quite equivalent to those courses, it's pretty much a no doubt top 100 course in the world. So, it's solid enough to me to experience a little pace frustration.

Again, that's just my opinion. Happy to agree to disagree. Golf is great game, and what you value about the game, is up to you.
aginlakeway
AG
I've played Pebble twice ... at age 25 (paid $175) and at age 50 (paid $450).

I would not play it again unless it was free. It's a LONG round of golf.
TBufkin11
AG
Would you recommend someone who has never played it, not to play it?
AgLA06
AG
You seem personally slighted by their opinions for some reason.
TBufkin11
AG
No, not at all! I just had a great experience there and thought it was an interesting discussion (which is what the forum is for) on what people value in golf. Golf is what you want to make it though.
DadAG10
Played in October 2018, was with 3 friends, had perfect weather, and honestly don't know how long it took. Would guess 5+ hours.
But I enjoyed every moment out there. Getting to play a course with so much beauty, so much history, and 40 years of watching on tv made a special day.

My golf was not on, wasn't used to the grass and greens, and shot 10-12 strokes higher than I would have wanted, but it didn't matter.

Baskin Robbins, 31 flavors, everyone has a different favorite!
aginlakeway
AG
TBufkin11 said:

10000000% play it. But just once.
David_Puddy
AG
powerbelly said:

There is a course in Georgia that I wouldn't mind a 6 hour round at, but maybe that's just me.
TBufkin11
AG
aginlakeway said:

TBufkin11 said:

10000000% play it. Just just once.
makes sense to me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Have told this story before, but the first time I played it, not only was I first off, I was alone. Completely alone. Had a work trip to SF and decided about a week out that I'd swing down and play.

Was just surreal to reach the 4 fairway, look out at the 6-7-8 point down the coast, and see no one. Just me. There was the "marine layer" just above, so it was like playing golf in heaven. Honestly closest to God I may have ever felt.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That said, when I hit 7, a marshal was kind enough to swing by with good timing and take my pic.
class of 03
What a bunch of complainers. Waiting for 'can be play linebacker?' guy.

Pebble is amazing.
CyAg86
AG
I played Pebble for the second time with a good buddy in June, he had never been there before. Going in we knew it would be a 5:30-6:00 hour round. We had a good weather, a great caddy, walked and really enjoyed it. It is expensive, but if you are an avid golfer and have not played Pebble, I think it is worth it once.
Duckhook
AG
I've played once. Great experience that I wouldn't trade. But, at the price, I could go back to the area again and not play Pebble and still have a good golf trip.

As to the pace, I don't remember exactly how long it took me to play, but I know I was sad that my day on Pebble had come to an end. Great day from start to finish.
agsalaska
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Austin Men's City Championship last Fri-Sun. Played like I had just jumped in the pool on every tee box, cycling gloves every few holes it is ridiculous. The sweating just doesn't stop.

Nobody wants a 6 hour round, but I would tolerate it at Pebble. It's not like you are in your hometown where you got to get back home to dad life or chores. If I am on vacation I don't have the time pressure I normally do, so for me - that's plenty to just soak in whatever is happening.

We went to the JW Marriott once for mid week vaca and I was playing on one of the courses (again it was miserably hot), but I had nothing else to do that day. got randomly paired up with another single - why when nobody was out there I will never know, but this guy was literally racing through this round..it was irritating to be around. Hitting a putt and walking towards it as it is halfway there and then scurrying to pick it up or get it in the hole to then pick up the flag and stand right next to the hole as I had a putt. After 5 holes I faked "an important phone call" and told him to go ahead.

I don't want to play screaming fast. I don't want to play dog slow either.

That guy is a popular poster in this board. In fact he is several of them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.