*** 124th U.S. Open ***

54,039 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bunk Moreland
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting stat about the up.and down from that bunker. Dechambeau was inside 4 ft.

Matsui
AG
He definitely earned it. Unreal
Bunk Moreland
Did anyone catch McAfee today with Bryson talking about his custom irons he had made? He curves the edges similar to drivers/woods due to his swing speed.

Lower irons more curvature than higher. He also teased that he's been working on something behind the scenes and more to come within the next month.

My guess is he'll announce a partnership with some company developing irons like that.

Probably not for 99+% of golfers out there but won't stop a weekend hacker from purchasing them.
lazuras_dc
AG
Won't lie I looked into one length irons bc of Bryson…with my 95mph swing speed I Need a few more months on the MIsIG before I'm ready for the crank driver.
concac
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Did anyone catch McAfee today with Bryson talking about his custom irons he had made? He curves the edges similar to drivers/woods due to his swing speed.

Lower irons more curvature than higher. He also teased that he's been working on something behind the scenes and more to come within the next month.

My guess is he'll announce a partnership with some company developing irons like that.

Probably not for 99+% of golfers out there but won't stop a weekend hacker from purchasing them.
He used those irons for the Masters and the USGA only approved them on Monday the week of.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I knew he was using customs just didn't know what he had done to them and for what reason
AustinCountyAg
Surprised nobody has posted about Rory's BS tweet he sent out today.
Old Tom Morris
He's got a rocky marriage and totally blew a US Open and chance to get a decade long monkey off his back. Didn't seem like BS. He's a competitor and yesterday clearly rocked that dude
CCred92
AG
I agree. His play made this an amazing tournament to watch.
The Milkman
AG
But Balionis posted an A+ thirst trap in light of getting back together with Erica
ChillyAg19
AG

AgOutsideAustin
AG
The Milkman said:

But Balionis posted an A+ thirst trap in light of getting back together with Erica

Ozempic been good to her
Ag_07
AG
Rory's entire handling of Sunday was BS.

Dude acts like the chosen one and has no problem running his mouth constantly as soon he sees a mic then he has another Sunday implosion and all of a sudden doesn't have time, throws a fit and bolts, and is now taking time off.

Gimme a break.

HeyAbbott
AG
All golf stars have blown off the media after some of their rounds have completed. Yes Rory could have handled the post round Sunday night better. Brooks blew off the press at Pinehurst this past week. Just look at what Dustin Johnson did at Chambers Bay back in 2015 when he blew off the media and trophy ceremony after missing a 3 foot putt on the 72nd hole.
AustinCountyAg
Pretend it was Rory who had won and Bryson acted that way. Rory would've sat up there and made all kinds of backhanded, bs remarks about LIV and Bryson. I agree with 07. Rory is soft. If he wants to stand in front of mics the past two years and talk **** about LIV and its player he needs to at least have the balls and be a man when the tournament is over to congratulate them in defeat.
AustinCountyAg
Brooks and Bryson also never anointed themselves leader of the PgA. Those are two of the guys who've never enjoyed being in front of the mic. Rory on the other hand…
Ag_07
AG
I understand that but those guys also aren't the Golden Boy of golf who are constantly talking in front of a mic at every chance they get.

That's what pisses me off. The fact that Rory has no issue talking when it's about some moral high ground and the ambassador of 'saving golf' but as soon as it's an inconvenience to him he ducks out.

It's the hypocrisy that pisses me off.
EliteElectric
AustinCountyAg said:

Pretend it was Rory who had won and Bryson acted that way. Rory would've sat up there and made all kinds of backhanded, bs remarks about LIV and Bryson. I agree with 07. Rory is soft. If he wants to stand in front of mics the past two years and talk **** about LIV and its player he needs to at least have the balls and be a man when the tournament is over to congratulate them in defeat.
100% this ^^^^^^^^^^

Rory never met a mic he didn't like when the subject was pontificating and spewing PGAT propaganda, however when it come to facing the music of ANOTHER choke session on Sunday he disappears like a fart in the wind.

Maybe he wouldn't have had marital problems if he wasn't such a self absorbed narcissistic ****** with Napoleonic complex.
Deluxe
AG
I totally agree that Rory should have stuck around afterward and at least congratulated Bryson. It was a missed opportunity on a number of fronts:

1) It would have been a good symbol of "it's time to re-unite the game" from two guys who started as antagonists for their respective sides but have since done a lot of work to make amends and become forces for bringing the game back together.
2) I think these two will see eachother again in the final round of a major and it stinks that the first chapter was one where Rory walked off childishly.

But while Rory walking off stunk and he shouldn't be exonerated for it, I think the focus should be much more on how epic that US Open was. The more I digest it, the more I think it's going to age as one of the great US Opens of our time.

The parallels to 1999, which IMO was another great US Open of our time, are also kind of stunning. Not just because of the two main characters but also how the final round/final holes transpired.

Bryson has his obvious ties to Payne but is also becoming an endeared fan-favorite on the course that resembles (perhaps even surpasses) Phil in his prime. His transformation over the last few years in that regard has been unbelievable.

Meanwhile, Rory's long stretch of "close but no cigar" is starting to resemble Phil's heartbreaks before he finally won the 2005 Masters. The monkey on his back seems to grow and grow each time he puts himself in position but doesn't emerge victorious.

When Phil won the 2005 Masters, I remember he said in Butler Cabin how the wait and heartbreak made victory that much sweeter. When Rory inevitably gets his fifth, I think he's going to have a similar reaction.

Of all of Phil's missed opportunities before finally winning his first major, the 1999 US Open at Pinehurst stands out as the one that probably stung the most. It seemed like all signs pointed to that Sunday being his day.

He and Payne were tied going into 16. Phil hit the GIR while Payne made a mess of the hole. Payne makes a magical putt to convert an up and down while Phil two putts for par. Still tied on the 17th, both guys knocked it inside 8 feet. Phil just misses the putt, shows Payne the line, and Payne makes to take a one-up lead. Then Payne makes a mess of 18 while Phil hits the GIR again. Payne makes another magical up and down to seal the win.

When Rory stood on the 16th green, I'm not sure if he knew Bryson had missed his par putt on 15 but all indications at that point where that Rory was going to win. Rory obviously did more to hammer the nail in his own coffin by missing those short putts, but the day was accentuated with a magical up and down for Bryson on 18.

Hard not to reminisce about how much that up-and-down echoed Payne 25 years earlier. Also hard not to reminisce about how tough the losses were for Rory/Phil.

But regardless, what an awesome day of golf at Pinehurst. For all the talk about Bryson's ball-striking and length off the tee, his short-game and putting are freaking unreal too. That up-and-down on 8 from dead was incredible (also kinda reminiscent of some of Payne's crazy up-and-downs that Sunday in 199).

Watching Bryson right now, it feels like what he's doing is sustainable. His game is polished. He's still reaping some of the benefits from the distance training he did a few years ago, but has combined it with elite iron play, short game class and a great attitude. I hope golf reunites again soon because he might be the best shot at a legit, sustainable challenger for Scottie.
gestapoparrot
Does anyone actually ever give a flying sh.. what the losing side has to say in post-event interviews? You're gonna get whatever trained up blah answers they've got loaded up to get through their 5 minutes and leave, it's like ultimate coach speak from the losing side in pretty much every sport. Either you're waiting with baited breath to hear someone tell you they gotta regroup and keep working for the next one, or you just want to see their disappointment (which he gave you by bailing out like a b). The only time I've ever cared about post game interviews is when someone goes Mike Gundy in it, if Rory doesn't have that in him then I don't feel like there's much material difference between him pouting in front of a mic or during his walk of shame out.

I feel like the only reason this is ever a story is because the people who make the stories get butthurt about it so that's their new story. He's answered the same questions 40 times in a row at majors now. dan rappaport could have just copied and pasted his last 10 interviews with Rory, whether he sat down for a new one or not would have no material difference. But he gets a lot more clicks framing it like it's an insult that we can't be pleasured to hear Rory repeat his publicists words for the 40th time in a row.

They should really ramp up the entertainment value of these things and give all athletes a once year opt-out card, then it really becomes a fun game. Dan could have been beating up his keyboard right after the miss on 18 with "Will Rory use his get out of jail card to avoid me??!?" DraftKings could put up odds, players like Marshawn Lynch could have pulled stunts like telling reporters during training camp that he's using his card on Dec 13th giving cryptic answers so they're guessing why all season. Now there's a whole new storyline if Rory chokes away the Open too since he burned his card at the US Open, Dan's pecking out a whole story about what a strategic error that card use was.
Deluxe
AG
IMO people care that he didn't congratulate Bryson more than him skipping media obligations. At least that's the way I see it. But I could be wrong.
Bunk Moreland
I'm not going to kill the guy over it, but it is interesting seeing the usual suspects in the media working hard to excuse it vs the newer wave of media people rightly questioning it.

Ironically enough, Norman choking to Faldo was as bad or worse than what happened to Rory Sunday and he faced the music.

I know Bryson made his putt and Xander made it on top of his so it isn't apples:apples but he made sure to congratulate Xander at Valhalla after being excruciatingly close.

The optics of him sneaking out through the back door, tossing his clubs in the car and spinning the tires in the gravel as he got the hell out of there just didn't look good...especially as mentioned...the optics of him staying to congratulate Bryson, then politely decline media and leave would have been very healthy for the game.
Ag_07
AG
No I don't GAF what they say, but for a game so rooted on etiquette it's SOP to congratulate the winner and maybe face the media for some questions/comments. Especially for the US Open at such a storied place as Pinehurst.

Again...If it was anyone else wouldn't be a big deal but this is the guy that preaches about saving the game.

You just can't pull a stunt like that if that's been your message for the past few years.
Aggie92
AG
I play a lot of golf and watch quite a bit, but I don't read much about golf. So maybe I'm just not caught up on the details of LIV golf. From where I sit, it's strange to me the amount of support LIV seems to get on this board but maybe I'm missing something.

It's Saudi funded isn't it?

It has made televised golf worse IMO.

Maybe I just missed the details since it all started though.
Gig'Em '92
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Saudi angle doesn't mean much these days.

But yes it's made golf on TV worse if you're looking at it from a competitive standpoint. I hate that the fields at both LIV and PGAT are watered down. I watch way less golf these days than in years past. I think the money aspect has subconsciously made me not as eager to always throw it on tv.

It has forced the PGAT to up their production standards and certain practices, which is one benefit.
Ag_07
AG
There's a lot to it and there's been countless threads and back and forths about it so I won't go too far into it.

My thoughts are I don't have any ill will towards LIV regardless of who backs it. PGA is backed by a lot of questionable countries and orgs as well so they're no worse as far as that's concerned.

Hell with the ongoing merger the PGA is getting into bed with the same Saudis anyways so everyone has that blood on their hands.
Project Gemini
AG
It was a great tournament. Someone has to lose - it was great watching a true test down the stretch instead of whoever makes the most birdies. I tune in to watch golf and turned it off as soon as Pavon putted out. I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 days of Pinehurst and don't really care who gave what interview about what. I want to see golf reunited but that's a long path and post tournament media probably doesn't move the needle much, if at all, on that process. Brooks is also right, the questions are repetitive and lame these days.
AgLA06
AG
You missed some great media then. Especially Bryson long after it was over.

I normally agree with you, but the reality is it's about more than just the golf to these guys. And that seems to be a big disconnect between them, the PGAT, and the public.
concac
AG
Deluxe said:

IMO people care that he didn't congratulate Bryson more than him skipping media obligations. At least that's the way I see it. But I could be wrong.
Did anybody else stay back to congratulate Bryson?
Deluxe
AG
Unemployed said:

Deluxe said:

Did anybody else stay back to congratulate Bryson?

IIRC, the only person I recognized as he walked back to the scorecard area was Sergio. Perhaps it's not a coincidence that he was the only other LIV player to finish top 25. But I could have missed someone or two.
Project Gemini
AG
What was great? Bryson doing a tour with the trophy seemed to be the only interesting thing that took place. I saw most of it in summary form on Reddit or social media, and was probably better off not having to hear another word from Brandel.
AgLA06
AG
Project Gemini said:

What was great? Bryson doing a tour with the trophy seemed to be the only interesting thing that took place. I saw most of it in summary form on Reddit or social media, and was probably better off not having to hear another word from Brandel.
F Brandel. He's the king hypocrite mouthpiece, tsip puppet of the PGAT. He gives Russian propagandists a run for their money. I'm sure he was paid well to sell his journalistic integrity for the crap he's spewed.
Ag_07
AG
Project Gemini said:

What was great?

I thought Bryson's speech was fantastic. With the connections to Payne and the recent loss of his father it was more than just a typical speech.

I also enjoyed watching his caddy get a plaque (didn't know they did that) and also really cool to see the #2 course super get recognized with a plaque of his own.

All good stuff
HeyAbbott
AG
The same is true with the hypocrisy of the LIV golfers like Phil, Brooks along with Greg Norman who all claim we are doing this for the game of golf to be better when everyone knows it is all about money and egos with the Saudis.
I Am A Critic
I sure hope we don't run out of pearls to clutch on this thread.
Username checks out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.