*** 124th U.S. Open ***

54,001 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bunk Moreland
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

The one thing you can say about this tournament is that it was very entertaining. There was big players, drama, great shots, major choking, and a guy coming through on the last hole to win it. It was way more entertaining than the masters was.
The Masters was tight and setting up to be fun until hole 8 or 9 on Sunday. This years US open was one of the better and more entertaining tourney finishes I can think of in years. PGA tulsa comes close.
Longhorn Nation
I have no problem with LIV players winning PGA major events, but I'd prefer to keep some traditions - like golf culture & etiquette - the way it's always been. I'm as patriotic as anyone and was rooting for Bryson, but the "USA!! ... USA!! ... USA!! as Rory missed the putt on 72 was just poorly veiled heckling. Not a fan.
zgolfz85
AG
that SVP interview was awesome. Bryson lost a lot of fans a few years back, but he likely regained most of those this weekend. I never really joined on the BD hate wagon, but I'll certainly be a much bigger fan going forward. great ambassador for the game
safety guy
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

to me Rory has always come off as the guy who showed up to the party out of nowhere as a kid who won fast and early and bought into the hype the media pumped him up to be (the next Tiger). Unfortunatnely, that led to complacency on his part thinking he could out talent everyone, and make him declare to everyone that he in fact was going to be as good as Tiger (sort of like Lebron). I believe the internet, media, and the look-at-me attitude of his generation has fueled it. To me he comes off as a d-bag just like Lebron who thinks he's better than everyone. Don't get me wrong, they are both great and some of the best of there generation. But when they get knocked down off there high horses I enjoy it greatly.

I do however feel bad for him with his personal life in its current state which seems to be a mess and may have contributed to his actions yesterday after the round. Either way it's nice watching Bryson and LIV get the spotlight for a change and watching the critics eat some crow.

I will give Rory this. His game is still there after all the wins and success he had at an early age. The same cannot be said for Spieth, Fowler, or JT who have fallen off cliffs.
HeyAbbott
AG
Rory still has as many major titles as Rahm and Bryson combined
Bunk Moreland
Longhorn Nation said:

I have no problem with LIV players winning PGA major events, but I'd prefer to keep some traditions - like golf culture & etiquette - the way it's always been. I'm as patriotic as anyone and was rooting for Bryson, but the "USA!! ... USA!! ... USA!! as Rory missed the putt on 72 was just poorly veiled heckling. Not a fan.

Idiots yelling stuff long preceded LIV.
MarylandAG
I like them both so I say this respectfully, unless I am mistaken, Rory turned pro in 2007 while both Bryson and Rahm turned pro in 2016, while he may have more majors than them, 9 years more of playing golf is a significant factor. It will be interesting to see where Bryson is at 17 years into his career.

While I like them both, I will admit I didn't care for Rory skipping the interview, have to read the room, he had to know it would not be a good optic.
RogerFurlong
HeyAbbott said:

For now. He's 5 years older than both of them though.
RogerFurlong
Bunk Moreland said:

Longhorn Nation said:

Idiots yelling stuff long preceded LIV.
Go back to the open with Harman. The crowd there was openly heckling him the whole day.
AgLA06
AG
Longhorn Nation said:

Just like those PGAT tried and true culture and etiquette of stopping play for drunkenness in Arizona and yelling mashed potatoes or other dumb **** on TV at every tournament. PGAT is a complete hycaproacy in the majority of their talking points about LIV.

You're creating copium.
lazuras_dc
AG
I wasn't ever a Bryson hater but definitely didn't care for him. This year, I think he's shown a lot of resilience and class and has earned a lot of respect from me.

I can see some of his fan interactions, reactions and antics as being interpreted as a schtick but the more and more I see him and listen to his interviews and see his youtube stuff, I think it is genuine. It really is like he found a family and people who care and relate to him in the team format of LIV and let him be more relaxed and be himself.
AgLA06
AG
HeyAbbott said:

And like 90% of the PGAT.
Mr.Bond
AG
HeyAbbott said:

Id bet that 1 of them, if not, both catch him (or surpass) by the time they're 35 years old as well..... rorys most recent major trophy is also 10 Years old
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

lazuras_dc
AG
Also RE: Pavon marking his putt. I thought it was tacky the crowd boo'd him and happy Bryson tried to shoosh them.
He has no obligation (nevermind the sportsmanship of it) to show Bryson the line (it wasn't a gimme). AND why wouldn't he want to see Bryson's line so he can make sure he makes own put that's potentially worth thousands if he misses it??
aggiebonzo
AG
Was pulling for Rory and man did he choke coming in. Bryson struggled all day but did what he had to do on 18 to win it and deserves all the roses. Not sure how Rory recovers from this because he lost the tournament.
AgLA06
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Also RE: Pavon marking his putt. I thought it was tacky the crowd boo'd him and happy Bryson tried to shoosh them.
He has no obligation (nevermind the sportsmanship of it) to show Bryson the line (it wasn't a gimme). AND why wouldn't he want to see Bryson's line so he can make sure he makes own put that's potentially worth thousands if he misses it??
I mean. That's sports. It happens in stadiums and venues every day.

Both sides had an argument as to what to do and why, the fans react how they want. It's why home field advantage is so important. A guy from France no one had heard of until this season shouldn't be surprised the fans back a known name and took it as a slight to Bryson.
Old Tom Morris
Yes, it actually would have been bad form to putt it. Think Rory wouldn't have loved to see Cantlay putt one on his line to get a better look at that slider? When the tournament is in the bag, you finish. But that tournament was still in some level of doubt, you play in normal order. Fans are stupid.

Also, the goal of a guy like Pavon going first is not all geared to let the winner have have his moment; it's also so that Pavon can finish without having to putt thru the commotion that happens after a guy just officially won. Waiting actually a bigger downside for him
MW03
AG
For a long time, I think Bryson just said whatever he was thinking. He was missing that filter that makes you wonder how a comment will be received before you say a thing out loud.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

_lefraud_
AG
Rory was probably worried about how he would interact with his wife on the 18th green had he won.
Harry Stone
AG
Brooks congratulating Bryson.

JCA1
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Yes, it actually would have been bad form to putt it. Think Rory wouldn't have loved to see Cantlay putt one on his line to get a better look at that slider? When the tournament is in the bag, you finish. But that tournament was still in some level of doubt, you play in normal order. Fans are stupid.

Also, the goal of a guy like Pavon going first is not all geared to let the winner have have his moment; it's also so that Pavon can finish without having to putt thru the commotion that happens after a guy just officially won. Waiting actually a bigger downside for him

Spot on. He can't play out of turn and give Bryson a read on the putt to win the freakin US Open.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I don't know about y'all but I'm gonna pull for an American to win the US Open. Everyday!

I will pull for the worst American golfer to win before I pull for an European win. Will never ever pull for Anti-Trump little punk ass rory.

That's just me.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Harry Stone said:

No.

This is a backhanded compliment. Basically saying...yeah, now you're as good as me.

Greg Norman did this **** to Corey Pavin when he won the US Open "Welcome to the Club" as in finally winning the major. **** that.

Just say Congratulations, I am very happy for you.
Bunk Moreland
AggieDruggist89 said:

Harry Stone said:

No.

This is a backhanded compliment. Basically saying...yeah, now you're as good as me.

Greg Norman did this **** to Corey Pavin when he won the US Open "Welcome to the Club" as in finally winning the major. **** that.

Just say Congratulations, I am very happy for you.

lolwut? I think you're reading way too much into it.

There's nothing backhanded in that wrt Bryson. If anything it's got a little Rory angle to it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Nope.

The picture is not even from yesterday.

No where in the tweet does BK say "Congratulations"

Welcome to the club. You've finally made it. I've already done this... you're late to the game but now you can hang with me.

BK is so damn competitive he can't even simply say, "Congrats Bryson".
HeyAbbott
AG
No telling what Brooks motives are given his personality.
concac
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Nope.

Welcome to the club. You've finally made it. I've already done this... you're late to the game but now you can hang with me.

Damn, you guys read too much into things.

Are you a woman?
Old Tom Morris
They are both weird dudes in their own way but it doesn't bother me. Spectrum kid and meathead.
Deluxe
AG
I think Brooks was ready to post a congratulatory tweet either way. Bryson for 2x US Open club, Rory for 5 major club. He doesn't have any beef with either guy. He's never had beef with Rory and his old beef with Bryson has long since passed.

He's being genuine.
CCred92
AG
Maybe he is but who knows with brooks.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

I think Brooks was ready to post a congratulatory tweet either way. Bryson for 2x US Open club, Rory for 5 major club. He doesn't have any beef with either guy. He's never had beef with Rory and his old beef with Bryson has long since passed was nothing but a PIF stunt.

He's being genuine.

FIFY
Deluxe
AG
It's possible that they played up the beef a little bit back in 2022 to help conjure up some LIV interest/eyeballs. So if that's what you mean, I agree.

But Brooks' beef with Bryson long predates PIF's involvement in golf. So to say it was nothing more than a PIF stunt is a bit short-sighted.

All for naught now though. They're clearly on good terms.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Unemployed said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Nope.

Damn, you guys read too much into things.

Are you a woman?
Are you a libtard? Always have to bring about gender?? Is gender that important for you?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Bruh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.