*** 124th U.S. Open ***

53,875 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bunk Moreland
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And back to the tournament as well, give me Aberg selfishly for my bet or BCD. Cantlay is as interesting as paint drying. Would also love Rory getting to 5
AgLA06
AG
I'm actually rooting for Bryson.

I think he's probably on the spectrum which contributes to the social awkwardness he can create. But I actually appreciate that the guy cares as much as he does and is one of the few to innovate other than just juicing clubs like manufacturers do.
Project Gemini
AG
There are lots of fun stories lurking a couple shots down the leaderboard. Its shaping up for a great weekend, may the toughest guy win.

Finau tacks a major on the resume
Hideki gets a second Major
Tom Kim breakout
Bhatia beats guys twice his size
Xander takes a second in a row
AgLA06
AG
Sam tees off at 12:18 tomorrow.
Bunk Moreland
Sam with a great chance to make good scratch this week. Currently sitting in ~$200k territory. Hopefully he can keep it together and stay near top 20 or make a run.
Kansas Kid
JCA1 said:

But to get back to the tournament at hand, I'd probably make Bryson the favorite right now. Been there, done that. Which should help down the stretch. Aberg winning would break a century long streak of no first timers winning. Have a hard time seeing Cantlay winning too. But I guess that's what the weekend's for.

While Bryson clearly has what it takes to win, after watching Aberg not be fazed by the Ryder Cup last year, I think he pulls this out and breaks the first timer streak.
harge57
AG
Project Gemini said:

There are lots of fun stories lurking a couple shots down the leaderboard. Its shaping up for a great weekend, may the toughest guy win.

Finau tacks a major on the resume
Hideki gets a second Major
Tom Kim breakout
Bhatia beats guys twice his size
Xander takes a second in a row

I'm rooting for Finau!
snowaggie
aggietony2010 said:

Robert Rock could ruin the days of everyone at +5. He birdied 7 (16th hole for him), and a birdie on 8 or 9 would move the cut back to +4.

Edit: Theegala's bogey to finish should keep the +5 crowd safe.
Can someone fill us in on the math when they're deciding on the cut? I feel like I only have a minimal understanding of it. Do they want to come as close as they can to a certain % of players cut? Or is there a raw # in mind? The projection was sure jumping around late yesterday by several strokes.
MAROON
AG
the top 60 scores plus ties make the cut after day 2
JCA1
AG
Kansas Kid said:

JCA1 said:

But to get back to the tournament at hand, I'd probably make Bryson the favorite right now. Been there, done that. Which should help down the stretch. Aberg winning would break a century long streak of no first timers winning. Have a hard time seeing Cantlay winning too. But I guess that's what the weekend's for.

While Bryson clearly has what it takes to win, after watching Aberg not be fazed by the Ryder Cup last year, I think he pulls this out and breaks the first timer streak.

Could definitely happen. Dude is gonna be a monster for the next couple decades.

Reading some articles this morning and one guy likes Hideki's chances. Apparently, he is one of the top around-the-green "shots gained" guys. Thinks they will dry the greens out even more and it's going to turn into a chipping contest when no one can hold the greens. That favors Hideki. Interesting thought.
Kansas Kid
JCA1 said:

Kansas Kid said:

JCA1 said:

Could definitely happen. Dude is gonna be a monster for the next couple decades.

Reading some articles this morning and one guy likes Hideki's chances. Apparently, he is one of the top around-the-green "shots gained" guys. Thinks they will dry the greens out even more and it's going to turn into a chipping contest when no one can hold the greens. That favors Hideki. Interesting thought.

I think he is the one guy that could topple Scottie in the next few years. I am not saying it is a certainty but he is just an all around great player. If he does become the next dominant player, I hope the recreational players and the rest of the PGA tour imitate his pace of play.

I agree Hideki has a good chance.
Ag_07
AG
Aberg is so good.

He has one of those pure sexy Adam Scott type swings that's just awesome to watch.
Bunk Moreland
He also plays fast. I think that's my favorite attribute of any pro. If they play fast I'm a fan.
JCA1
AG
Some of the peacock coverage has been annoying but NBC is putting a lot of golf on. Basically 10 hours of straight coverage today starting now.
Project Gemini
AG
JCA1 said:

Some of the peacock coverage has been annoying but NBC is putting a lot of golf on. Basically 10 hours of straight coverage today starting now.
They were expecting Tiger to be teeing off this morning, but he is washed and irrelevant now. Thank god some of the other guys that everyone is tuned in for are going to get some airtime finally.
Project Gemini
AG
They also dont have EPL running in this time slot right now so it works out nicely for them.
Bunk Moreland
Fitzpatrick +6 thru 6 on the day.
JCA1
AG
Course is looking fast this morning and will likely only get worse through the day. Little breeze too. Should be a fun afternoon.
Matsui
AG
Should be a ridiculous tough test
MAROON
AG
FYI also showing on USA network until 11:00 this morning, when it switches to NBC
MAROON
AG
Cam Smith's shirt! Ha!

snowaggie
MAROON said:

So...for example, if all the +4's and ties gets them to 59, they have to expand it to the +5's in order to get at least 60?
MAROON
AG
Yep
aggietony2010
AG
snowaggie said:

MAROON said:

So...for example, if all the +4's and ties gets them to 59, they have to expand it to the +5's in order to get at least 60?

Exactly. When I posted about Robert Rock, +5 was T60. If he had birdied (and other scores stayed the same), then +5 would've been T61, and they'd all be cut.
Cru
S
Ag_07 said:

Aberg is so good.

He has one of those pure sexy Adam Scott type swings that's just awesome to watch.

He has so much game. Have a friend that has played with him a lot over the years in lubbock. Really good guy from the sounds of it.
GigEmJake17
AG
Sam is really striking it well today. Should be able to make a move if he keeps it up.
FriscoKid
AG
Bennett with another birdie to move to -1.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Nice uh pants Sam.
wangus12
AG
MAROON said:

Cam Smith's shirt! Ha!

I need that.
MAROON
AG
Sam getting some screen time. Is that a can of Copenhagen in his back pocket?
TyHolden
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Nice uh pants Sam.
dude probably pulls more tail than all of texags. he can wear whatever the hell he wants.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Taylormade always has cool staff bags for the majors.
class of 03
What else would it be??!!

Sam out there crushing today.
Old Tom Morris
My only question is if he had to buy those pants in the boys section. He's a little dude and those suckers are small on him.
Cru
S
TyHolden said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Nice uh pants Sam.
dude probably pulls more tail than all of texags. he can wear whatever the hell he wants.

You forget JFF is on texags?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.