Houston open tips?

6,892 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgLA06
Krondaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That would be very generous, I'll PM you
Ag_07
AG
Congrats!
Tom Cardy
AG
My tip after going Thursday would be to apply 3x more sunscreen than you think you need
Poot
The course looks plush with the over-seed. I bet more will play here if we can keep the date. Plus, these guys get to rip a lot of drivers at the new Memo.
RustyBV
AG
Scotty didn't seem like to like the course during his round, he's not normally that angry but wasn't pleased with the inconsistent firmness of the greens.
Ag_07
AG
He also made some bad shots too.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
RustyBV said:

Scotty didn't seem like to like the course during his round, he's not normally that angry but wasn't pleased with the inconsistent firmness of the greens.
Looks like he likes it again.
CFTXAG10
AG
Seemed like the wind was more of an issue yesterday than anything.
Legend
AG
Why are they doing threesomes from split tees tomorrow? I assume weather but it doesn't look like the forecast is bad.

htxag09
AG
Legend said:

Why are they doing threesomes from split tees tomorrow? I assume weather but it doesn't look like the forecast is bad.

I assumed because 80+ made the cut. Did the same today.
Legend
AG
Thanks. I could not figure it out.
m4bach
AG
If you have espn+, I'm rewatching the coverage of the 15th hole. It's pretty amazing. 120 yd par 3 with only 3 birdies the entire day. As someone who plays it a lot, it's fun to see them look like "us".
Project Gemini
AG
m4bach said:

If you have espn+, I'm rewatching the coverage of the 15th hole. It's pretty amazing. 120 yd par 3 with only 3 birdies the entire day. As someone who plays it a lot, it's fun to see them look like "us".

Agreed. Watching Scotty catch bad breaks I get all the time makes me feel so much better. I've had great rounds going and been torn up by 15-18 out there
Krondaddy
Was -3 through 14 in the fall, same pin position on 15, it spun back into water. 16 went for it in two, splash. Finished +3 on the day, 15-18 is a gauntlet
MarylandAG
Any suggestions for going tomorrow? The garage/shuttle parking is sold out and the Alto rideshare option listed on the website does not come out to our area (Cypress).

Have somebody drop us off nearby and walk? There is a Chevron station basically on the intersection of I-10 and Washington, that would be an easy walk, Is that accessible tomorrow morning?
htxag09
AG
MarylandAG said:

Any suggestions for going tomorrow? The garage/shuttle parking is sold out and the Alto rideshare option listed on the website does not come out to our area (Cypress).

Have somebody drop us off nearby and walk? There is a Chevron station basically on the intersection of I-10 and Washington, that would be an easy walk, Is that accessible tomorrow morning?

Yes, it's accessible. Can be a bit of a cluster though depending on the time.

I've volunteered the last two days and am tomorrow as well. I just park in the neighborhood east of Washington / Wescott and walk rather than deal with the shuttle. It's about a mile walk from right behind the cubesmart self storage facility to the main entrance. Probably between 1/2-3/4 mile from that gas station.
MarylandAG
My mistake the parking that was sold out was for Saturday. I was able to purchase a parking pass at the Brookhollow garage and avoid a family member getting stuck dropping us off. Looking forward to watching some good golf!
E
AG
Oh man, the announcers jinxed the hill out of Scottie's putt.

Congrats to the jaegermeister!
Ag_07
AG
That was one of the worst putting efforts I've ever seen a pro make.

Almost looked like he missed it on purpose.

Just absolutely piss poor.
JCA1
AG
The more I see of Memorial the more I like it as a Tour stop. The last 4 holes are really good. Short par 3 that still finds a way to drive pros crazy. A quintessential risk/reward par 5 with water on both shots, a drivable par 4. What more can you ask for?
GoAgs92
AG
Those greens looked huge on TV.

Never played there
bagger05
AG
Turned out to be a really good tournament. Scoring was kept in check. Schefller seems like a solid dude but it's always cool to see a journeyman get their first win.

Haven't played Memorial since it's been redone but it looked really good.
Mr.Bond
AG
That course is ALL about the greens. It is incredibly long from the tips too

They did a good job with it. City of Houston can still lick my ass for trying to charge me $140 to play it when I live 25 miles away
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag06Law
AG
Course looked good. The thing that stood out in person is the contour of the greens. There's a ton of contour in there, especially for a course in Houston. I've never played it, but I can't imagine trying to hit the 15th green. Watched the pros hit shots 5 feet from the cup and almost end up in the water.
Ag_07
AG
The par 3s out there are all pretty tough but 15 is a bltch.

Also the 13th the short par 4 with a turtleback green is such a good hole. It's hard and damn near impossible to get up and down for green side. It's another great example of a hard hole that isn't long.
AgLA06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

City of Houston can still lick my ass for trying to charge me $140 to play it when I live 25 miles away
The 6 million people between you and the course get first dibs.
Ag_07
AG
Interesting take on Memorial from Michael Kim.

He thinks it's tough enough of a track to host a US Open.

JCA1
AG
Ag_07 said:

Nolayingup guys threw out this idea as well. Thought the practice facility, logistics, etc would preclude it but they think it's an upper echelon course on tour and wish it was an elevated event. I could support that.
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm just glad it's playing tough and looking like it belongs on the PGA Tour. I loved Redstone, but the pros just destroyed it. Which isn't surprising considering the member course was the more difficult / nicer course 10 months out of the year.

My only concern when they invested so much money is it would be another pretty course 2 months of the year where the winner was pushing -25 and there were talks of losing the tournament. I've been pleasantly surprised all around. I think this town is incredibly lucky Jim Crane was able to buy the Astros. This is just one of the many benefits of that.

And while many guys might skip to take a break and look ahead to Augusta, weather dictates this being a spring tournament.
htxag09
AG
Quote:

I thought the overseed would make things to easy because the rough was non existent and the chipping especially would be too easy
Being out there in the days leading up to the Open I thought this as well. It was crazy how short the rough was.

Also, I was on 11 all weekend, which played as the 2nd toughest hole if I'm not mistaken, and it could have been way harder. The pin placements were tough, but it was playing on the short end most of the tournament. Don't remember what it was Thursday, but Friday-Sun was 188, 205 (I think), and 184. Back tee placement could play 235+.....

Wind was brutal and in your face, though. Saw lots of guys come up 10' short of the green.
JCA1
AG
They said on the broadcast Saturday that the rough was purposefully cut short to mimic Augusta. Basically trying to entice guys to come to the tournament as a good warm up for the masters. Redstone did this as well. I'm hopeful that more guys will take the bait going forward.
htxag09
AG
A kid I went to high school with had cancer and started an organization called triumph over kid cancer. Scottie has always been pretty involved with it so I'll always root for him (despite is college of choice).

But I think houston also really needed him to win. Hope I'm wrong, but not sure he'll come back.
CFTXAG10
AG
I worked with a lot of the caddies Monday-Sunday and they all had great things to say about the course and the shape it was in. Only knocks I heard all week were the wind towards the end (out of our control) and some of the fan experience/activity zones were a little too loud close to greens/tee boxes.
MAROON
AG
Considering the time of year the rough was not going to be high even if they didn't cut it. We have just entered the growing season for most grasses.
The Milkman
AG
Ag_07 said:

I mean it played pretty tough all things considered. 12 under winning without rough and with it being pretty soft is a testament to the redesign.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.