One Course to Play in Scottsdale

5,487 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by pb488
AgfromHOU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Champions course is a lot of fun
NColoradoAG
We are going to Scottsdale for a bachelor party next weekend. It's a mix of four golfers (three decent and one bad) and 2 guys who don't even own clubs. I was pushing to play WeKoPa or Greyhawk, but the $400 price tags were too much for the non golfers and the bachelor doesn't want to do anything split up. So we landed on Top Golf Thursday night, Grass Clippings Friday night, and the executive course at Starfire Saturday. I am pretty stoked after watching Grass Clippings last night for the Good Good event. Never played any night golf before.
jja79
AG
Please post a review of Grass Clippings. I live reasonably near there but haven't been out to play it . Just opened around Thanksgiving and it's been too dang cold to think about night golf the last couple of months. Sounds like y'all are getting a break with the weather next week as it's supposed to be back to 70's.

I posted this earlier on the thread but Dobson Ranch is a muni in Mesa and one of the best. Great range and usually food trucks parked near the putting area.
Big Walt Law Firm
AG
If you can squeeze it in, Mountain shadows short course is a great option.
Matsui
AG
Did those 2. Outstanding
NColoradoAG
Trying to convince the bachelor to go out Friday morning for a round at a championship course. The big names are pretty booked up. What are some of the next tier type courses that may still have a 9-10am tee time open? I see Sun Ridge Canyon mentioned. Any others? We won't have a car so don't want to be too far out of town.
jja79
AG
Where are you staying?
NColoradoAG
jja79 said:

Where are you staying?

Shea Road & 58th street
Mr.Bond
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Trying to convince the bachelor to go out Friday morning for a round at a championship course. The big names are pretty booked up. What are some of the next tier type courses that may still have a 9-10am tee time open? I see Sun Ridge Canyon mentioned. Any others? We won't have a car so don't want to be too far out of town.

Sunridge is on my Mt Rushmore of Phoenix area courses
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jja79
AG
With the weather turning nice next weekend book something pretty quick.

Sun Ridge is a straight shot out Shea. Wildfire has 2 courses at the JW. Straight up 56th street. Kierland is the closest to you. Never played it though.
jja79
AG
You're welcome.
NColoradoAG
jja79 said:

With the weather turning nice next weekend book something pretty quick.

Sun Ridge is a straight shot out Shea. Wildfire has 2 courses at the JW. Straight up 56th street. Kierland is the closest to you. Never played it though.

Just snagged a 3some at Sun Ridge at 915. Bachelor is driving from Dallas to Austin right now so I'm in the blind.

May look at the others and book a couple and cancel when I hear from him.
Mr.Bond
AG
jja79 said:

You're welcome.

Hmmm we started going to that one a few years back. Did I get it from you or dumb luck? If I did get it from you then you are welcome for dinosaur mountain, sir
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jja79
AG
I think I tipped you off to the bratwurst.
jja79
AG
Sun Ridge and the brat at 10 are always the right answer.
Mr.Bond
AG
jja79 said:

Sun Ridge and the brat at 10 are always the right answer.

Mr.Bond
AG
The dude that runs the halfway house is a legend. And he twist your arm into getting fireball shots too, so just be prepared

NColoradoAG
Mr.Bond said:

The dude that runs the halfway house is a legend. And he twist your arm into getting fireball shots too, so just be prepared

I imagine gallons of fireball will be consumed over a 72 hour period

Sorry for the semi thread jack OP
jja79
AG
Even though it's not on the regular tourist rotation it should be. But don't tell anyone. Good patio too.

Camelback Ambiete is pretty close to you too.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
PSA

Listen to JJ and Mr. Bond just go to Sunridge get the brat and have fun in the Wicked Six !
Mr.Bond
AG

45:40 The secret is out of the bag

boy09
AG
Here's the view from the tee box of the par 3 Joey is talking about. From back in September. The photo doesn't really do justice to how much of a drop it is down to that green. This is from the 1-up tees. The tips are another ~20ft up.

The course was really cool, and there were some awesome houses on it. But the course conditions were just not quite up to the same level as the other courses we played.
Mr.Bond
AG
boy09 said:

Here's the view from the tee box of the par 3 Joey is talking about. From back in September. The photo doesn't really do justice to how much of a drop it is down to that green. This is from the 1-up tees. The tips are another ~20ft up.

The course was really cool, and there were some awesome houses on it. But the course conditions were just not quite up to the same level as the other courses we played.

Trust me I get it. My all time favorite. The first 5 holes are phenomenal and the back 9 is..... oh man. Just awesome. I have only played it during the months of february march or april and it was pristine every time I hate to hear it wasn't great when you went in september

Mr.Bond
AG
Their 2v1 on the front 9

BigHitterDaLama
ScarmardoAg19 said:

Quintero is the best course in AZ hands down.
Yup, make the drive and play it. Better than all the others
boy09
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Their 2v1 on the front 9

Nice. I haven't seen this video, it's from before i really started watching the channel. Seeing them huffing and puffing trying to maneuver the slopes and inclines on those first 4 holes is giving me flashbacks.
jja79
AG
No need to go to either Dinosaur or Sunridge Canyon. Y'all stay away. Definitely don't get a brat on 10 at Sunridge. Mr. Bond and I will take one for the team there.

To the point about course condition in September. Last year was my first living here. We had 133 days over 100 with 54 over 110 and it rained 4" all year. The vast majority of the courses in the valley were scorched, dead, brown, gone by September with the exception of the tourist courses that can afford water because they're $225/round and up.

This is maybe a thread derail and observation after being here a while. Quintero is in Peoria. We-Ko-Pa is in Ft McDowell, Sunridge Canyon is in Fountain Hills, Dinosaur is in Gold Canyon. Everyone says they're going to Scottsdale to play golf but a lot of the best golf isn't in Scottsdale.

I can't imagine leaving at this point. The other 8 months of the year are almost perfect, two weeks ago notwithstanding. I kept hearing from people in Houston last summer how hot and miserable it was. It was just hot in Arizona, not miserable. No one in either place needed to be playing at 2:30.

Knowing what I know now if I were traveling here I would not come in the fall due to over seeding and the ensuing cart path only. March and April would be my choices. It can be cold as hell early morning and late afternoon in December, January, February. Also since we don't do daylight savings time the days are short, dark around 5PM. I realize the hours of daylight are the same regardless of DST or not but there isn't much time to get around if you want the warm part of the day around say 2PM.

I grew up in the Big Bend National Park area so the desert was no mystery or surprise to me. But if you aren't used to it you can be surprised how quickly it cools down or even gets downright cold when the sun goes down during much of the year.

If you were to come during the summer Payson and Prescott are around 5,000 feet elevation and Sedona is 4,300 or so. The courses aren't as great as some here in the Valley but all are an easy drive from Sky Harbor and the scenery is fantastic.

Sorry for running on.
boy09
AG
jja79 said:

To the point about course condition in September. Last year was my first living here. We had 133 days over 100 with 54 over 110 and it rained 4" all year. The vast majority of the courses in the valley were scorched, dead, brown, gone by September with the exception of the tourist courses that can afford water because they're $225/round and up.
I'm not even saying that the conditions were bad. It was still very good. The only thing i had to compare it to were Greyhawk, TPC, and Troon, which we played each of the 3 days prior, so it's probably not a fair comparison. Troon was unbelievable.
jja79
AG
I know what you were saying and would expect just that. All great places to play.
NColoradoAG
Chiming in here with a post trip summary. Played Sunridge, Grass Clippings Rolling Hills, and Starfire executive course.

Sunridge was nice. Everyone was nice at check in and at the bar. Great views from the restaurant and patio. Breakfast burrito was solid. I hate to say it, but my brat at the turn was terrible. Looked and tasted like it was from the day before. Steve was definitely a character though so I get the experience. Course was in pretty good shape. Played horribly though and didnt make a single birdie.

Rolling Hills is pretty cool. Although, it is pretty dang long for a "par 3" course. Several holes stretched out to 180-200. We were all pretty well liquored up by the time we teed of at 830 & 840 so that definitely didnt help. Its the wild west out there to. We played as seven. Saw groups of about 10 at some spots. I feel like it also got really stale and by about the 14th hole we were ready to be done. It took us 3.5 hours to finish. Think they need to shorten things up out there considerably. Great overall vibe though.

Starfire was actually the most fun we had. Good price, great conditions, and a quick round that lent itself to some fun gambling. They have the six inch cups out there and we played to those. One of the guys who had never played much golf chipped in to thunderous applause.

Overall it was a pretty solid plan for a bachelor party. Just too much booze and late nights to provide for any sort of decent play.

jja79
AG
I forgot to add that I only stop at the hut on 10 for the ambiance and Steve. I throw my brat in a bunker later down the fairway. It's a tradition.

Actually I've never had a bad one but maybe Steve isn't the chef Evelyn used to be. The patio and the view out to Four Peaks is primo.
rhtexfish
AG
Quintero + WeKoPa (either one)

That's the way to go. Pull 36 at WeKoPa if you can
AgOutsideAustin
AG
rhtexfish said:

Quintero + WeKoPa (either one)

That's the way to go. Pull 36 at WeKoPa if you can

Our group did 36 at WeKoPa and they were great to work with to organize. Had individual lunches ready for us between rounds and post round drinks were great there.
booradley
AG
Played desert highlands and Quintero this week.

1st time for Quintero. I was very impressed. A ways out but I prefer it over desert highlands.

Will go back for sure.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Doesn't look like I'll be able to fly with my clubs (too much baby gear). Any one have a rec on club rental places? Or should I just rent from the courses?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.