Is there an embarrassing golf questions thread yet?

9,299 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by MW03
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here:

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3343753
Pahdz
Turns out I was mistaken my daughter was given Ping Eyes, the OG version. Those illegal too?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Legal but ancient. If you think she may actually be interested in giving golf a legit shot, I'd go with something else. Not sure if he ever reshafted them, but those shafts are gonna be heavy and stiff (refraining from jokes here)
rononeill
I've got one... playing wolf w hammers and birdies double.

If Team Good Guys hammers with a 10' birdie look, Bad Guys decline, Good Guys make the birdie - is that a 1x win or a 2x win?

I'm of the believe that if the hammer is declined, the hole is over, anything after the decline is irrelevant. FWIW, I was on the Good Guys - just looking for consensus, not flailing
rononeill
oh - got another.

get to the green, and see the lip of the hole is banged up. can you repair/smooth it? does it make a difference if your ball is on the green or not?
DannyDuberstein
AG
If it's natural wear, no. If it's damage, yes.

I play with a guy who was super at Northwood many years ago. He is a perfectionist about hole-setting and we are usually one of the first groups of the day, so there are usually several holes per round that he'll fix up. Main complaint is they don't smooth the edge of the cups back down and instead leave a raised lip
rononeill
Got it- I'm thinking the kind of scars that you get when someone fishes a ball out w their putter.
Obi Wan Ginobili
rononeill said:

Got it- I'm thinking the kind of scars that you get when someone fishes a ball out w their putter.

That sounds like repairable damage to me, but can you prove it? Obviously not. If it isn't a tournament, just fix it, who cares.
MW03
AG
Speaking of rules, I've only recently learned about "winter rules" and the ability to lift, clean, and place. I had previously been playing horribly muddy balls.
G Martin 87
AG
rononeill said:

If Team Good Guys hammers with a 10' birdie look, Bad Guys decline, Good Guys make the birdie - is that a 1x win or a 2x win?

I'm of the believe that if the hammer is declined, the hole is over, anything after the decline is irrelevant. FWIW, I was on the Good Guys - just looking for consensus, not flailing
Never played Wolf, but it sounds like a blast.
Obi Wan Ginobili
rononeill said:

If you agree to play wolf hammer, you agree to take on some dumbass bets. I think everything should be worth extra.
Pahdz
Did someone say playing golf with the Hammer?

terradactylexpress
If they hammer and the other team declines the hole is over and team that hammered wins 1x
MW03
AG
[Dear Diary...]

So I started lessons with Golftec. The data driven feedback was attractive to me, so I pulled the trigger during the spring promo. I bought a 25 lesson pack for use during the next calendar year.

Things started off with the swing evaluation. After about an hour of swings, I walked away with some far better understanding about what I was doing wrong. My swing wasn't god-awful, but man was it steep and ugly to look at. The best part was seeing the numbers and lines in quasi-real time showing me where I was getting out of position. For example, I was starting with my right shoulder too closed and it was contributing to an out-to-in path and over the top madness. The pro could push my shoulder into position, take an image, and show me how it was supposed to feel. Now I just have to remember that feeling and I'm in a better position. By the last swing, I was consistently better at staying in the plane and approaching the ball.

I had my second lesson this week, and already things are improving. It feels weird and awkward, and I feel like there's a ton to remember, but the swing isn't ugly as hell anymore. It actually looks like a golf swing. We starting working more on individual things and doing some drills (love the gate drill, btw). Buy the end, the swing was better still.

Kind of pissed I waited this long to get started, honestly.

It's only been a couple of lessons, but so far, big thumbs up to Golftec. It suits how I learn and I'm enjoying it. Bonus is for 30 minutes at lunch every other week, I get to completely forget about everything else and focus intensely on exactly one thing that isn't work related.
MoneyG
AG
It can be anything everyone agrees on. At my club, about the only game played is Hammer. Even if you are off the hammer, a gross birdie doubles the bet.
NColoradoAG
MW03 said:

[Dear Diary...]

So I started lessons with Golftec. The data driven feedback was attractive to me, so I pulled the trigger during the spring promo. I bought a 25 lesson pack for use during the next calendar year.

Things started off with the swing evaluation. After about an hour of swings, I walked away with some far better understanding about what I was doing wrong. My swing wasn't god-awful, but man was it steep and ugly to look at. The best part was seeing the numbers and lines in quasi-real time showing me where I was getting out of position. For example, I was starting with my right shoulder too closed and it was contributing to an out-to-in path and over the top madness. The pro could push my shoulder into position, take an image, and show me how it was supposed to feel. Now I just have to remember that feeling and I'm in a better position. By the last swing, I was consistently better at staying in the plane and approaching the ball.

I had my second lesson this week, and already things are improving. It feels weird and awkward, and I feel like there's a ton to remember, but the swing isn't ugly as hell anymore. It actually looks like a golf swing. We starting working more on individual things and doing some drills (love the gate drill, btw). Buy the end, the swing was better still.

Kind of pissed I waited this long to get started, honestly.

It's only been a couple of lessons, but so far, big thumbs up to Golftec. It suits how I learn and I'm enjoying it. Bonus is for 30 minutes at lunch every other week, I get to completely forget about everything else and focus intensely on exactly one thing that isn't work related.

Do not sleep on the practice time you purchased. It's the key to building new muscle memory and being able to take it to the course. The worst part about intense training like golftec is going to the course and thinking about what you've worked on indoors.
htownag2007
AG
MoneyG said:

It can be anything everyone agrees on. At my club, about the only game played is Hammer. Even if you are off the hammer, a gross birdie doubles the bet.
Same here for how we play. Laying it down doesn't exclude you from the 2x on the gross birdie.
MW03
AG
[Dear Diary...]

Had 4 lessons with Golftec so far and I feel as though I am steadily improving. All the focus has been on rebuilding my iron swing with designs on moving up through the clubs as the new swing feels more natural. I am having to think less about what I am trying to do, which is nice. Nearly every swing is on plane and I'm getting consistent enough contact that I can now tell where on the face I'm hitting the ball because of the feel of impact. I can also tell right away what I'm doing wrong when I chunk one. Rarely catching the hosel now.

Shot shape is improving quite a bit. Even getting a nice little draw that I haven't been able to get before. When I miss, it's pushing the ball left because of the swing path, but nothing dramatic with the ball hooking or slicing dramatically.

Worked with the 9i and 7i today. 9i is carrying a pretty consistent 150 when I hit it correctly, but even the misses are on target and carrying 140. I'm getting right between 181-183 carry with the 7i when I flush it. I was pushing my 7 more left than I normally do today, so the focus was really trying to drive the ball right and draw it back. Pretty to look at when it works, which is happening now more often than not.

I've got a course lesson coming up to work on chipping around the green. We're supposed to be working through 5i as well on the next indoor lesson. Aim is to get fully locked in with the irons and then move up to driver. Coach thinks I'm about 3 lessons away from there.

Most beneficial drills so far have been the gate drill and the towel drill. Watching video with my coach, I realized that I was lifting my arms way too much. The swing thought to try and pin my right elbow to my side helped me get on plane tremendously, but I was still struggling a bit with the left arm. The towel drill where I hold a towel between each armpit across my chest and swing helped me get the feel a bit. Full swing with tees instead of towels has helped refine it further. The weirdest part of that is that my arms stay restricted more, giving me the feeling of making a "half swing." However, when I stay connected, don't take the club back as far and get behind my head, and rotate through, I'm hitting the ball further than I ever did when trying to mash one.

Plan this week is to spend some time at the range working the gate and the tees, pin those arms so I move as one unit, and focus on driving the ball to "right field" as I come through.

4 lessons in and still a big fan of the program.
MW03
AG
I had my best lesson to date on Thursday, and I followed it up on Saturday with my worst round of golf in maybe 5 years. Just couldn't do anything right at all. I'm still in the process of rebuilding my swing, so I understand that there will be issues. Just so damned discouraging.
CapCity12thMan
AG
gonna get worse be fore it gets better...see Fowler, Ricky as just one example, Fleetwood, Tommy as another

MW03
AG
[Dear Diary...]

About 6 months into my year of taking lessons for the first time. On the course, I have notable improvement on my irons. I feel confident that I can hit the ball within about 30 feet of where I intend with pretty much any of them. Still need to get tighter, but it's definite improvement. I feel very strong with my long irons now, and the 5i might be the best club in the bag.

Driver is still a work in progress. I learned during my last lesson that the old driver I have was a 9* tuned down to a 6* and was set up for a closed face (I bought it used off the rack without any kind of fitting). The coach tuned it up to 10.5* and a neutral face, and I am hitting it better, if a little shorter. It was not uncommon for me to hit that thing 325+ when I caught it, but the problem was that I would catch it maybe 2 of every 7. Now, I'm getting more consistent, but still a very long way to go.

The swing tweaks are getting smaller and frustratingly harder to accomplish. Right now the focus is on "quiet hands" and shortening my backswing to keep me from cocking the wrists. I find it very hard to not swing hard. In general, club speed isn't a problem, but smash factor is. The coach finally convinced me that I will get more distance and consistency slowing down a bit and working on getting better placement on the face. "Accuracy over violence" is the mantra.

Unintended bonus: my swing is far prettier than when i started. Night and day.

About a dozen lessons in (i go every 2 weeks with practice in between) and still a fan and still seeing improvement. I would guess I have shaved maybe 5 strokes (from high 90s to low 90s) over this time. Goal is to be in the 80s by Spring 2024.
Obi Wan Ginobili
You should consider an app or something handwritten and take notes during a couple rounds. If you're able, keeping track of as much as you can will really show you what you're good and bad at. Lots of people lie to themselves about what they are good and bad at, but stats with enough data tends to be truth.

Fairways, greens, putts is an easy way to start. 7/14 fairways, 9/18 greens, and average of two putts or less will have you playing some really strong golf for an amateur.

If you like that and want more insight, keep track of which club you use off every tee, and make a note of if you hit the fairway (if I manage to hit a sky ball or a chunk that "technically" hit the fairway, I count that as a missed fairway, we are talking decent and good balls in the fairway only). You will find out really fast which club is your fairway finder.

If you're really hardcore, keep track of every shot, which club you used, and if it went where it is supposed to. Let's say for instance that you take 50 swings with something other than a putter throughout your round. Keep track of how many were "good" shots. A good shot is your opinion, but fairways, greens, fringe, etc, these are good shots. A slice into the trees is not, pretty much anything in the sand is not a good shot. Set a goal to hit 75% of your shots good.

Don't get me wrong, this is all a lot, and I don't recommend doing it all the time, but you can get better at golf by just focusing on what you do well and what you suck at.
MW03
AG
Good advice. Playing tomorrow and I'm going to take a little moleskin to track it.
CyclingAg82
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

You should consider an app or something handwritten and take notes during a couple rounds. If you're able, keeping track of as much as you can will really show you what you're good and bad at. Lots of people lie to themselves about what they are good and bad at, but stats with enough data tends to be truth.

Fairways, greens, putts is an easy way to start. 7/14 fairways, 9/18 greens, and average of two putts or less will have you playing some really strong golf for an amateur.

If you like that and want more insight, keep track of which club you use off every tee, and make a note of if you hit the fairway (if I manage to hit a sky ball or a chunk that "technically" hit the fairway, I count that as a missed fairway, we are talking decent and good balls in the fairway only). You will find out really fast which club is your fairway finder.

If you're really hardcore, keep track of every shot, which club you used, and if it went where it is supposed to. Let's say for instance that you take 50 swings with something other than a putter throughout your round. Keep track of how many were "good" shots. A good shot is your opinion, but fairways, greens, fringe, etc, these are good shots. A slice into the trees is not, pretty much anything in the sand is not a good shot. Set a goal to hit 75% of your shots good.

Don't get me wrong, this is all a lot, and I don't recommend doing it all the time, but you can get better at golf by just focusing on what you do well and what you suck at.
Very good advice. I track putts, GIR and Fairways. I have considered getting the Arccos system, but the subscription cost tends to push me away.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I may write "Accuracy over violence" on my glove. Good one.
MW03
AG
Started strong keeping stats but very quickly fell off the wagon trying to keep track of all my terrible shots. I did keep notes on where my problems where. #1 was consistency with the driver. Very frustrating and really reared it's head on the Par 5s. Double bogeyed every single one because of an OB ball. Next biggest problem was playing inside 50 yards. On the occasion where I would hit a good drive, I'd sit there about 50 yards out laying 2 on a par 4. I'm thinking, "OK, you have a 50 yard par 3. Time to get it close and score a par or better." Then I would promptly duff a chip and leave it 25 yards short. End up with bogey (or worse). Just awful.

But, I have data to go back to my coach with.
MW03
AG
[Dear Diary...]

May have figured out a little something with the driver today in my lesson. Thanks to the suggestions above, I went into the lesson today with a little data about where I was missing, the shape of my misses, etc. The data said my misses were mostly low and left hooks. As a result, we spent the majority of the time working specifically on my set up and take away, making little swings to work on path and face.

Turns out, I was coming away with the club very closed and the clubface pointed at the ground. The practice was taking it away with the clubface pointed forward, and then swing through without any action in the wrists/forearms trying to turn the club over. By the end, I was getting a pretty consistent little draw with good carrying distance. The object now is to take that to the practice and get the motion down and second nature.

Really a big fan of the instant video feedback at Golftec. I appreciate that the coach can put me into position so that I can both see it on screen and feel it. Really helps me replicate the movement on the subsequent swings.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.