Changing grips based on shot?

2,066 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ElCheAg
AggieIce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone else here slightly change their grips mid round depending on the circumstance?

Regular: fairly strong grip
In the bunker: weaken the grip
Bump and run: grip more in the palm
Etc.etc.?
clobby
AG
I tend to use a strong-neutral grip with irons/wedges but hold my driver with a strong grip (probably too much).
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Depends on the shot. With driver, I'll move from strong to weak depending on the shape I want to play, but only with my right hand. Left stays the same throughout.

Going down the bag, right hand will weaken a bit, especially on wedges.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I don't consciously do it, but I'm sure they are slightly different with each club. But whatever feels natural to me that day.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Absolutely not good enough to do that. One grip one shot pattern on 99% of my shots.

Index 2.4
DannyDuberstein
AG
I do it. Easiest way for me to call on a cut vs trying to swing-path my way to one. I always feel that setup tweaks to get a shot shape when needed are much easier than trying to modify my swing. And yeah, i go slightly weaker around the greens to keep the clubface open
mt3950
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Absolutely not good enough to do that. One grip one shot pattern on 99% of my shots.

Index 2.4

Casually dropping the index in thereā€¦solid work
khaos288
AG
some shots around the green are definitely not the same grip as my "full shot" grip.

All my full shot grips are the same these days though. Not enough time to practice and dial in all that
Poot
I think grip change makes sense if you're forced to hit a particular shotā€¦ if you need to rope hook one out of the trees, strengthen the grip. If you need to hit a soft lob shot around the greens, weaken the grip.
Alta
AG
Agreed - I only do it when I'm in trouble though like getting out from behind a tree, etc. Tweak your grip slightly and put a normal swing on it works wonders.

I would never do it in the middle of the fairway just to try to hit a certain shot.
AggieDruggist89
AG
mt3950 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Index 2.4

Casually dropping the index in thereā€¦solid work

Not casual at all. And not a humble brag. I'm a believer in good golf starts with a good grip. I feel my grip is pretty good as i pay immense attention to how I grip the club. But I don't feel I'm good enough to control my shots with varying grips.
evestor1
rarely do this but...

Baseball grip for flop shots. I get the ball up better and more consistently with baseball grip.

Only do it when my game is rough.
oldflyer
AG
I don't usually think of changing my grip. I think about my alignment to the target and what ball flight I want. For instance, if I want to hit a draw, I would align my feet to the right of the target and align the clubhead at the target. Implicitly, that would give me a stronger grip.
McLintock09
AG
On all pitch and chip shots, I will reverse overlap were my left index finger is placed over my right pinkie. This helps me not get too handsy and helps relieve tension in my hands during the shot.
07fta07
AG
I have my standard go to grip for my stock shot, but absolutely change grip when trying to hit different shots or pitches/chips
DGrimesAg92
never
EliteElectric
My grip is always the same, if I need to try to cut it or flop it I open the face to varying degrees for those specific shots but the actual grip is always the same.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Went out and played 11 holes. Front nine, then 10 and 18th. Made the turn at even, 9 straight pars.

On 10th, thinned the drive and had 188 to the pin with head wind. Grabbed a hybrid and inspired by this thread, I tried to shut the face some to draw the ball. Well I hooked it 20 yards left and bogeyed. But birdied the 18th to make it up. F GOLF and F y'all.
AggieDruggist89
AG
EliteElectric said:

My grip is always the same, if I need to try to cut it or flop it I open the face to varying degrees for those specific shots but the actual grip is always the same.

This
Alta
AG
I stand corrected - this is what I do. I change how I grip the club but don't change my grip.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Friend of mine played in a scramble with Sam Bennett and said that Sam changes his grip based on the shot shape he is trying to play. I had never though of doing that. I've always just stayed neutral and altered my stance/path to shape shots.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, at least for me, I always felt like tinkering with path was more likely to result in a more unpredictable result such as a double-cross. And when I say I change my grip, it's usually not drastic. I can call on more of a sweeping draw or a semi-decent fade with relatively subtle changes. There are times it doesn't work and I get a straight flight, but in those cases, at least I didn't double-cross and compound my problem.

And if in a situation that calls for more drastic movement, I try to be smart enough to not even try - take the medicine, advance it safely, and scramble. I've got a pretty effective punch arsenal that I'm not afraid to call on. Club Pro Guy would be proud.
Shelton98
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, at least for me, I always felt like tinkering with path was more likely to result in a more unpredictable result such as a double-cross. And when I say I change my grip, it's usually not drastic. I can call on more of a sweeping draw or a semi-decent fade with relatively subtle changes. There are times it doesn't work and I get a straight flight, but in those cases, at least I didn't double-cross and compound my problem.

And if in a situation that calls for more drastic movement, I try to be smart enough to not even try - take the medicine, advance it safely, and scramble. I've got a pretty effective punch arsenal that I'm not afraid to call on. Club Pro Guy would be proud.

You must be utilizing camel-toe technology.
TecRecAg
AG
Bold of you to assume that I know what I'm doing out there.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I can't think of any shot for any reason I would want to grip more in the palm of the hands
ElCheAg
AG
Pitch and chip shots I use more of the neutral/weak grip.

Full shots, I use more of a strong grip.

For low screamers with a right to left draw/hook that rolls forever, I use a neutral grip and shut the club face at address.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.