Romo and JFF to play in Texas State Open

18,250 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dc509
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

I don't think he is actually dedicated

he wasn't even dedicated to college football
aginlakeway
AG
aginlakeway said:

EwingBarnes said:

Hey JFF is not in last now. 3 of my friends are playing this, Jerrod Turner -3, Brax McCarthy who is -7 and Brandon Massey who is +1 right now. All 3 of these guys play in our money games. We have some solid players at our club.

Marti doing him a solid!

Marti just WD.

jja79
AG
Wonder if Marti is hurt? He played D-1 golf so he can play.
Sea Speed
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

he's doing much better than I anticipated, clearly.

But just think about the sliver of the pie of golfers than can play in this event and compete are in...then realize they are a sliver of a sliver when you then lump on minitours in FL, CA,AZ and then a sliver of the KFT and PGA Tour guys. So much talent out there.

It really is crazy just how good the tour pros are. Even crazier are the guys that string it together for decades. Just wild.
JR Ewingford
Sea Speed said:

CapCity12thMan said:

he's doing much better than I anticipated, clearly.

But just think about the sliver of the pie of golfers than can play in this event and compete are in...then realize they are a sliver of a sliver when you then lump on minitours in FL, CA,AZ and then a sliver of the KFT and PGA Tour guys. So much talent out there.

It really is crazy just how good the tour pros are. Even crazier are the guys that string it together for decades. Just wild.
The mental aspect is unbelievably hard.
Sea Speed
AG
I was on the teebox as a first time guest at a very nice club with a starter hollering my name loud as hell and my nerves were incredibly rattled. I'm a goat track muni guy. Being that jittery in that situation made me appreciate the magnitude of what these guys must be feeling.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
First tee/first couple hole tourney jitters are something you have to experience to appreciate. It takes a few times to get use to it enough to control it. But it doesn't go away
'03ag
75 today. No doubles. Two birdies.

Overall better than I expected.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I used to get nervous at the events I compete in. I've played in so many you'd think it'd be a much more comfortable situation. It is more comfortable, and the nervousness is not as pronounced as it used to be....but there's still nerves. They're just different.

I've heard first tee jitters are nerves from fear (for most people). you just have to turn those into nerves of excitement about how you are going to perform. Now, if you aren't confident in your game then the latter is certainly harder.

The more confident I am, the nerves are there but they don't affect the performance as much. I actually get more anxiety on the 18th tee box than I do the 1st for some reason.
AledoAg86
AG
Colt Knost (Gravy & The Sleeze) reported earlier today that Romo is using an air conditioned golf cart in this tournament. He is borrowing it from a friend that lives nearby.

I was like WTH???
aginlakeway
AG
AledoAg86 said:

Colt Knost (Gravy & The Sleeze) reported earlier today that Romo is using an air conditioned golf cart in this tournament. He is borrowing it from a friend that lives nearby.

I was like WTH???

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tony-romo-texas-state-open-air-conditioned-golf-cart
CapCity12thMan
AG
more context...JFF finishes DAL, but without those 3 double bogeys? ...Yeah, finishes 3rd to last.
jja79
AG
Or eliminate 5 bogeys and he's tied for DAL.
aginlakeway
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

more context...JFF finishes DAL, but without those 3 double bogeys? ...Yeah, finishes 3rd to last.

He would have finished ahead of at least 1 of the WD ...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
He has all the physical tools, namely hand eye coordination, because its not like you need to be a beast to accurately rip a golf ball. Practice, discipline and mental game are such a huge part that I don't think he has or will ever have down. JFF is the type of guy who will beat 99.9% of everyone at just about any sport he decided to pick up. Unfortunately to make the tour you need to be better than 99.99978124% (175/80,000,000). Being in the top 99.9% means there are still 80,000 better golfers than you.

I play better with more organization, I am much much in organized events than I am on my own. Probably because I take it more seriously
tandy miller
AG
Good to see Johnny still has a sense of humor

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Martini or Margarita? Either way looks heavenly
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Martini or Margarita? Either way looks heavenly
Liquid Cocaine
'03ag
Anyone know how Romo finished yesterday? Can't find an updated score anywhere.
AledoAg86
AG
'03ag said:

Anyone know how Romo finished yesterday? Can't find an updated score anywhere.
Looks like there might have been a weather delay.
Aggie369
AG
Hes even for the day and +1 for the tournament with 9 holes left
jja79
AG
Three guys are only through 5 at +9, +10,+11 and look to be fighting for DFL.
'03ag
Romo finishes -1 on the day, E for the tournament.
CapCity12thMan
AG
https://ntpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ntpga21/event/ntpga2122/contest/1/leaderboard.htm
CapCity12thMan
AG

Hey JFF - more context
watty
AG
Why is everyone acting like JFF is the one who is delusional? I assure you he knows exactly what the context is. He plays with more good golfers than maybe anyone on this board.

There seems to be such an attitude of wishing failure upon him on this thread, and then an attitude of "hahaha yeah look how bad he sucked" when he did better than most people here predicted. Just because Gabe doesn't know golf doesn't mean Johnny doesn't. Anyway it just feels like people are taking Gabe's comments and holding them against JFF. He got invited and everyone in golf, including him, knew full well that he would be one of the worst golfers there, and he was, but he also showed that his index is legit. He played to his handicap or better, didn't he? (honestly asking, because I don't remember if this course's rating was discussed).
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
It's because some Aggies have a weird anger/hatred towards JFF for not becoming what they think he should have and you see it manifested in ways like this thread. Sadly it happens a lot on texags.
zephyr88
AG
Romo carded a couple of pretty solid rounds... just not "pro tourney rounds".

Although he missed the cut, his 2 day total of 140 was even par with 4 birdies, 28 pars and 4 bogeys.

All 4 of his bogeys were on Day 1. His Day 2 card was 17 pars and a birdie.

Sounds like he just needs to play more!
watty
AG
Yeah Romo is (obviously) really really good... yet the gap between him and any golfer earning a living playing golf is still enormous.
zephyr88
AG
watty said:

Yeah Romo is (obviously) really really good... yet the gap between him and any golfer earning a living playing golf is still enormous.
Yup, that's what is so crazy!
AggieDruggist89
AG
zephyr88 said:

watty said:

Yup, that's what is so crazy!

I don't think it's crazy at all. It's only crazy because many golfers don't understand the game, what it takes to play well, and how good the successful PGA pros are.

If top 150 players are making a decent living on the tour, it means they are essentially the 3 best golfers in their state. Top 3. That's seriously good.

Too often many amateurs go out and shoot a 70 on an easy course with questionable scoring with a few pick it up its good think they can practice enough to join the tour.

I don't know very many who pick up the game later in life to have success on tour let alone anyone who decides to dedicate themselves 24-7 to get better and join the tour.

I understand some of the traits of successful golfers but I don't believe it's the dedication alone is the root of their success.

I have to believe it starts with some sort of a God given talent is what's needed. I just don't believe JFF and Romo have it. Then again, neither do I and everyone I golf with.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8jYXMc3/Xy66wFs.png[/img]
dc509
AG
watty said:

Why is everyone acting like JFF is the one who is delusional? I assure you he knows exactly what the context is. He plays with more good golfers than maybe anyone on this board.

There seems to be such an attitude of wishing failure upon him on this thread, and then an attitude of "hahaha yeah look how bad he sucked" when he did better than most people here predicted. Just because Gabe doesn't know golf doesn't mean Johnny doesn't. Anyway it just feels like people are taking Gabe's comments and holding them against JFF. He got invited and everyone in golf, including him, knew full well that he would be one of the worst golfers there, and he was, but he also showed that his index is legit. He played to his handicap or better, didn't he? (honestly asking, because I don't remember if this course's rating was discussed).
I think what drives that are people who think that there is an actual chance of him making the tour. After he said he was going to give himself until 40 there were a lot people who thought it was possible because they believe that becoming a Tour pro is just a matter of putting in the appropriate effort.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.