Anthony Kim

4,740 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watching the 2011Darren Clarke British Open win.

Kim finished top 5'ish in that tournament, then disappeared.

He got paid for a fake injury, contingent on not teeing it up again, right?

Where is he now?
Jaytoke
AG
Watching the same tournament and had the same question. What happened to that guy?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
even on all the golf podcasts where they interview pros AK has become almost an urban legend at this point. he pops up randomly every now and then.
BigHitterDaLama
Was in dallas......may still be.......loved the ladies and the booger sugar.......may still
Diet Cokehead
AG
Career fell off the map right when I met him and partied with him in Dallas one night. Still randomly have his autographed photo in a file folder in my laptop bag after all these years. Not sure why.
shoes
AG
I too was watching this last night and blurted out "Oh S***, it's AK" in front of my wife and 3 year old when he flashed on the screen. My wife kept laughing at DJ's baggy pants and sideburns.
Ag_07
AG
From what I remember his insurance policy is pretty strict and doesn't even allow him to hit balls at the range. It's literally can't pick up a club.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ag_07 said:

From what I remember his insurance policy is pretty strict and doesn't even allow him to hit balls at the range. It's literally can't pick up a club.

Competitively. He can go pick up a 9 iron and go to the range if he wants.
ORAggieFan
Diet Cokehead said:

Career fell off the map right when I met him and partied with him in Dallas one night. Still randomly have his autographed photo in a file folder in my laptop bag after all these years. Not sure why.

Username checks out.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Ag_07 said:

how much did he get paid?
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I could be completely off but I thought I remember it being no golf period.

Interesting situation all around.
bdgol07
AG
ruddyduck said:

Ag_07 said:

how much did he get paid?
I remember the number being 10 million but that could be incorrect
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
man, i can't believe he traded his golfing future (and potential earnings/endorsements) for $10 million.
powerbelly
AG
ruddyduck said:

man, i can't believe he traded his golfing future (and potential earnings/endorsements) for $10 million.
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/golfer-anthony-kim-earn-10-million-returns-pga-tour-report-article-1.1944392

He thinks he would have to have ~$35MM in earnings to match the $10MM tax-free takehome he received.
EKUAg
AG
Quinn
AG
Now I'm trying to figure out which hole it might have been... 16 at Stevens? 3 at Tenison?
GIF Reactor
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

Was in dallas......may still be.......loved the ladies and the booger sugar.......may still
Does one ever stop loving these things?
AustinCountyAg
powerbelly said:

ruddyduck said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/golfer-anthony-kim-earn-10-million-returns-pga-tour-report-article-1.1944392

He thinks he would have to have ~$35MM in earnings to match the $10MM tax-free takehome he received.

Not a lot IMO when you consider how much he could've made in endorsements on top of the golf and appearance fees
powerbelly
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

powerbelly said:

ruddyduck said:

Not a lot IMO when you consider how much he could've made in endorsements on top of the golf and appearance fees
Endorsements aren't that much for guys struggling to stay on the tour. If he doubted his ability to come back and didn't want to work as hard as needed it was the right call.
_lefraud_
AG
Kuchar made over 38 million from 2011 to 2020...surely Anthony Kim would have done at least that.
AgLA06
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Kuchar made over 38 million from 2011 to 2020...surely Anthony Kim would have done at least that.

Maybe.

Apparently he had someone that understood time value of money and risk.
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Or he could have never really recovered and made nothing.

He chose the mailbox money that $10MM could generate.
evestor1
AgLA06 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Maybe.

Apparently he had someone that understood time value of money and risk.

Better watch out with the Asians are good at math stuff!
BoDog
AG
There was an article a year or two ago in Avid Golfer about him. Insane story line. Yes he got 10mm to more or less never play again. Everybody more or less says the injury is/was BS.

I think it said he lives in Westlake or some such.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I saw him play one of the last times he ever came to Houston for the SHO. He was spraying the ball everywhere and no where near contention. Wasn't it his wrist that he hurt?
Obi Wan Ginobili
_lefraud_ said:

Kuchar played max events and was a cut making machine. He's never won the big prizes, but the dude is a top 100-200 player of all time based purely on longevity and skill.

He's on a list of people who inadvertently got shafted by playing in the same 20 year span as Tiger.

I've never liked the comparison of "well this dude (who presumably is seen as average) did this and this, surely AK could have done the same". Golf is fuggin hard. SOOOO many things need to go right to have a 10+ year golf career and make 20-40 million doing it.

I, personally, think AK would have cleaned up as the playboy Asian, Nike golf swag, etc. The internet would have been his best friend in the branding department. But I also don't blame him for taking $10 million after tax dollars and bailing. For all we know, he might not have like the pro golfer lifestyle and just wanted to cash out.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

He's on a list of people who inadvertently got shafted by playing in the same 20 year span as Tiger.
Kutch also benefited from the tiger era. Backdoor top 10s have never paid as well
Obi Wan Ginobili
powerbelly said:

Quote:

Kutch also benefited from the tiger era. Backdoor top 10s have never paid as well
That's very true. I would say that he would probably trade several million of that in for 1-2 majors, but this is the same guy who shafted a poor Mexican dude, so maybe not.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I did a little research.

Skinny and inked up now.

If he's still inhaling coke like it was air, his money will run out soon enough.

Matsui
AG
Good for him.
AggieEyes
AG
He's known as the "Korean Manziel" (in Korea).

JK

Hoping the best for him - he was a great talent and fun to watch. I wish he was still on tour.
jgh85Ag
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

That's very true. I would say that he would probably trade several million of that in for 1-2 majors, but this is the same guy who shafted a poor Mexican dude, so maybe not.

We still talking about Kuchar or TFOS?
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Rubble
AG
How did this thread turn into talking about Kuchar?
oldag00
AG
Just sorta backed into it.like many of his top 10s.
DGAG92
AG
Tons of misinformation and speculation on here about a guy none of you know. This guy played with a hand, wrist and thumb injury for four years, before tearing his achilles in 2012. He tried to come back after surgery, but the pain was too agonizing. He won $4.6M in 2008 and had his multi-million dollar Nike deal through 2016. He weighed the options and decided to take the TAX FREE $10M. Smart dude and he's living a carefree life, laughing at all the idiots who question his decision. And he still plays golf, just not as a professional.
Class of 1992
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.