Texas heat, what you got?

2,679 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bagger05
MarylandAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cliff notes: my 11 year old daughter is just getting started in 1st Tee, Their tournaments are all at FM Law park. Makes sense to practice the course you are going to play...the problem is they are only open 10 am to 5 pm, right smack in the heat of the day. We played today, tee'd off around 1 pm, they open at noon on Sunday's. In short it is hotter than satan's ass!! Somehow have to battle it because the tournament tee times are all in the early afternoon for her age group. So what do you have to beat the heat?

1. Stay hydrated(obvious)
2. Umbrella holder on the cart (obvious)
3. Just let her pour some cold water on her heat every now and then (obvious)
3. What else you got? Do the "cooling towels" work? Anything else?

It is CALIENTE!!! Wilted in the heat and I grew up in South Texas, but this Houston heat is something else. Thanks in advance.

agsalaska
AG
Easy.

1. Cold rag/towel
2. I pour water on my head, neck, back, etc. often.
3. I drink a bottle of water at least every other hole, usually all at once.
4. Sunscreen

I also don't drink alcohol in the heat. Which is easy cause I don't generally day drink(though I am a borderline alcoholic at night).

We used to play in Vegas all the way up to 110 or so. As long as you do those four things it is pretty easy to stay cool.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Trucker 96
The cold towel on the neck is key for me. Keep 2-3 rotating in a small icewater cooler. Makes a huge difference. I like the basic cotton sack dish towels for this. Very light weight and long so they stay draped over your neck easily. I only take it off to hit a shot, then right back on. Rotate every hole to keep it cold
bagger05
AG
Take a piece of ice and rub it on the back of your neck, the insides of your elbows, and the backs of your knees.
dcrewint
Frog Toggs are pretty solid! I drink a mini water cooler plus a Gatorade or two when walking. Stay in the shade as much as you can while walking to the ball and while waiting for the group in front.
Leander - Ag
AG
Water
khaos288
AG
Carpe hand cream. I know that's not a beat the heat thing, but lord it saves my gloves in the summer.
jj9000
AG
khaos288 said:

Carpe hand cream. I know that's not a beat the heat thing, but lord it saves my gloves in the summer.
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

khaos288 said:

Lol I realize the comedy after having one rip today, but that was quality control methinks. Since it busted after 1-2 rounds
AgsMyDude
AG
bagger05 said:

Take a piece of ice and rub it on the back of your neck, the insides of your elbows, and the backs of your knees.

Inside of wrists too
mm98
AG
Fore Left! said:

The cold towel on the neck is key for me. Keep 2-3 rotating in a small icewater cooler. Makes a huge difference. I like the basic cotton sack dish towels for this. Very light weight and long so they stay draped over your neck easily. I only take it off to hit a shot, then right back on. Rotate every hole to keep it cold

Same for me. Cold towel and ice water splashed on your head does amazing things for relief. I use it during cycling in the summer too.
Trucker 96
Speaking of gloves, I'm the jackass who has 6-8 hanging off my bag at one time. Get the occasional smartass comment, but during summer rounds, I will change every hole. In the long run, saves $$ because gloves last a lot longer if you don't ever let them get soaked with sweat.
mm98
AG
Try rain gloves. It sweat a lot and can play an entire round with them just fine.
Trucker 96
I've used them too. I ebb and flow on how much I like the feel
1208HawkTree
AG
Start hydrating at least 48 hours before it's "needed."
TMACsDaMan
I freeze wet towels the night before a round. I use about six and put them in a small cooler that you can put in the back of the cart. Use a fresh towel every three holes.
beerad12man
AG
Lots of beer. Oh, 11 year old's? Maybe not. I'm just saying how I played yesterday with a 1:54 tee time.
Ag_07
AG
The only other thing I can add for heat is a floppy or other type wide brim hat.

For sweat I highly recommend this stuff - Grip Enhancer

Keep it in the bag and apply as needed. It's a life saver when the hands get sweaty.

I'll also add one of these to the highly suggested list - Thermacell Mosquito Repellant

They work great. Just click is on and hang it on the cart somewhere.
terradactylexpress
I don't see how the thermacell works as you are moving all around, I thought those things took 10-15min to get working
Ag_07
AG
The one I posted is constantly on.

Once you click it on it's good to go. Has a range of about 10' so if you're walking with it on your bag or push cart you're seldomly outside the range.
AgsMyDude
AG
beerad12man said:

Lots of beer. Oh, 11 year old's? Maybe not. I'm just saying how I played yesterday with a 1:54 tee time.

Same here for my Saturday noon tee time. Needed lots of beer to survive that one
MarylandAG
Wanted to say thanks to everyone. My daughter played her 2nd tournament today, first one was in May, and she lowered her score by 5 strokes. Came in 4th and she is just getting started, so it was a good day all around. A few things

1. Rubbing ice on back on neck, inside elbows, inside wrists and back of knees, fantastic tip!
2. Keep ice cold towels, always on except when hitting your shot and rotating them every hole, gamechanger! Went to Walmart last night and bought two 5 pack of dish wrags, got them wet, stuck them in the ice chase rotated to a new towel every hole, perfect.
3. The push carts I have do not have an umbrella holder, so I bought some aftermarket one, don't even bother they are a waste of money. Thankfully first tee had some carts to borrow that had an umbrella holder intergrated into the carts. I bought a 68" umbrella at Academy, it was nice to have a moving shade spot. The cart they had to borrow was a TRI-360 not sure the brand, nice cart.
4. Bought the Thermacell mosquito MR300, not sure if it was just too hot for even the skeeter, but they did not bother us all day.
5. Took a small portable ice chest to keep the towels in and ice water, kept her hydrated,
6. Sunscreen, reapply every few holes.

All these together were a huge improvement, she did not wilt in the heat like before. Just wanted to give a huge thanks to all!!! Gig'em!!
MarylandAG
Forgot to say, when I took the towels out of ice water, I would wring them on top of her head, so ice cold water pour over the head effect, yep made a huge difference as well. I also took the floppy hat advice and order her a floppy wide-brim hat. Found some on Amazon, she could pull her ponytail through, also a damn good idea! I tried to take everyone's advice.

To cover everyone's advice on this thread, I think I will have a pre-father's day beer (or two) tonight!! haha.
Yesterday
AG
Crackers or power bar. You're gonna be pushing a lot of water in and out. Need to replenish those electrolytes.
bagger05
AG
It's what plants crave

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.