SEC Women's Stroke Play Championship

3,978 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Trucker 96
EKUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Score correct occurred on Garcia. 4 pars. +3 on the day. Right now her score won't count today.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
jja79
AG
Dow with 1 to play. Blanca's score will not count and hopefully Dow can at least par out to finish ahead of Kentucky.

Here's the signed class for next year. Kid from France, one from Hawaii and a Katy kid. Nguyen from Katy won the Texas Junior Amateur and that is extremely competitive.

https://www.kagstv.com/article/sports/texas-am-womens-golf-2021-recruiting-class/499-ba2c5685-7178-4baa-a56a-54f829aa2983
EKUAg
AG
Arky needs their last two to finish a combined -1 to finish solo 8 and get to match play, knocking out Florida and Tennessee.
jja79
AG
Dow was +3 through 11 holes, then eagle, birdie, par, birdie, birdie. However she finishes she'll never forget the finish of her last college tournament.
EKUAg
AG
jja79 said:

Dow was +3 through 11 holes, then eagle, birdie, par, birdie, birdie. However she finishes she'll never forget the finish of her last college tournament.

Pars the last hole to shoot 70 with 2 doubles.
jja79
AG
31 coming in when the team had to have it. Impressive. It wasn't to make match play but it was for pride and to move up the board. Hopefully builds momentum for next year.
EKUAg
AG
Arky down to their No. 1. Birdie they make match play. Bogey they are out. Par will cause a 3 for 1 playoff.
EKUAg
AG
She birdies the last hole to get Arky into match play.... Against LSU.
GDP
I am going to have to strongly disagree with you on that statement.
Freshman can immediately help a women's golf team - if you get the stars and superstars.

Let me give you 3 examples from Texas that jump to mind.

Kristen Gillman (from Austin) won the 2014 US Women's Amateur as a 16 year old high school student !!
She also won the 2018 US Women's Amateur as a college junior at Alabama. I think she probably would have helped the team as a freshman.

Kaitlyn Papp (from the same high school as Kristen Gillman) is a senior at Texas and has won quite a few tournaments. She also tied for 9th in the most recent US Women's Open at Champions while still in college.

Sadie Englemann (also from Austin) is a standout freshman at Stanford. She has played some tournaments as the #1 player on the Stanford team. Great High School golfer.

Kristen and Kaitlyn were prior to Coach Gaston. Kristen initially wanted to come to A&M but the previous coach did not show much interest. Don't know about Kaitlyn's recruitment. If you are from Austin, it boils down to Texas or anywhere but Texas I guess.

Sadie Englemann is the type of Texas talent that a nationally famous coach can hopefully land for us someday. And yes 1 or 2 players like that on your team can make a huge impact their freshman year.

Football takes many years of consistent recruiting to build a winner, but 5 athlete sports like golf can have their fortunes change rapidly with the right 1-2 players.

Time for Coach to start signing some superstars and pull women's golf out of the SEC cellar.
EKUAg
AG
Match play final is Mississippi St vs Auburn.
Quinn
AG
https://12thman.com/news/2021/4/20/womens-golf-texas-am-announces-change-in-leadership-for-womens-golf-program.aspx

Gaston has been fired.
jonj101
Idk enough about college golf programs, but imo I would've stuck with her for another year.

No idea what better option they think they'll have coming in.
Unemployed
AG
jonj101 said:

Idk enough about college golf programs, but imo I would've stuck with her for another year.

No idea what better option they think they'll have coming in.
Not claiming that this is what happened but if she was just an a-hole and not just a good person to be around, it's better to cut bait now.
Gap
AG
I understand she had a pretty substantial contract for the sport she coached and simply hadn't produced at all. Good to move on and forward now instead of waiting.

We shouldn't be a school simply with deep pockets where people come to rest on the laurels and cash in.
Trucker 96
Feeling like the AD sensed we were her retirement plan
98Ag99Grad
AG
Gotta say I'm surprised by that move.
PJYoung
AG
Quinn said:

https://12thman.com/news/2021/4/20/womens-golf-texas-am-announces-change-in-leadership-for-womens-golf-program.aspx

Gaston has been fired.

Surprising. But so was her lack of success here.
Rubble
AG
Wow...I regress from my previous statements. Maybe smarter people made the right decision here.
Quinn
AG
The results certainly weren't there, but firing a 3x National Champion coach after 3 seasons (2 Covid seasons) is bold. Seems like the type of thing that happens when she wants out or everybody hates each other.
Chapa96
AG
Cedar09 said:

Coach Gaston will bring some trophies home to Aggieland! Just give it some time.
She will not have the chance. She will not be returning.
Trucker 96
Quinn said:

The results certainly weren't there, but firing a 3x National Champion coach after 3 seasons (2 Covid seasons) is bold. Seems like the type of thing that happens when she wants out or everybody hates each other.

Yeah, I feel like there is more behind this. If relationships are good, she has a realistic plan that seems to be making progress even if the results don't show it yet, etc., then I see more time. But to actually cut ties now goes beyond the results IMO

She was a 60 year old coach that took a job in a part of the country she spent zero of her career in. We wouldn't be the first that fell for a coach looking for a retirement plan and things just didn't work
powerbelly
AG
Quinn said:

I agree. I wonder if there is more than results that led to this.
PJYoung
AG
powerbelly said:

Quinn said:

I agree. I wonder if there is more than results that led to this.
Seems like there had to be.

If it was just results it would be a really, really quick hook.
mullokmotx
AG
The golf season ended Friday, so making the decision the 2nd business day after seems pretty quick.
Cedar09
Wow I can't believe that move on a coach Gaston . Why not can Childress now?
Trucker 96
Cedar09 said:

Wow I can't believe that move on a coach Gaston . Why not can Childress now?

Season was over. He'll be done at the last out vs the 2nd business day later
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.