SEC Women's Stroke Play Championship

3,976 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Trucker 96
EKUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags are 13th at +3. Ahead of Mizzou. LSU currently -15.

Courtney Dow best score for the Ags with a 4 under 68. -6 leads.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
Trucker 96
Not last?
coloradoag69
AG
I see there isn't a lot of interest, judging by the lack of replies.

However, IMO the quality of our women's team has been low and not getting better for at least the last three years. I believe we changed coaches at least two years ago. That change has not helped. Are we ready to change again?
aginlakeway
AG
coloradoag69 said:

However, IMO the quality of our women's team has been low and not getting better for at least the last three years. I believe we changed coaches at least two years ago. That change has not helped. Are we ready to change again?

IMO ... who are you going to get that is better than Gaston? She was the best coach in the county when he hired her away from USC, a real Saban-like hire. You can't fire her after 3 seasons, especially with last year being such a mess.

If we're not competing for SEC titles in 2 years, then maybe. But even then, who would be better?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
powerbelly
AG
coloradoag69 said:

I don't see us getting anyone better than Gaston and with a COVID year I am more than willing to give her more time to right the ship. I would probably give her 2 more years to get things turned around.
dcrewint
Give the woman some time to build the program. Last we heard, as someone posted, she's got 3 solid recruits coming in right?
Rubble
AG
Golf teams don't turn around like other sports. It takes time.
98Ag99Grad
AG
There's a thread on here debating the HC topic. I said on there you give someone like her at least 5 years to get her recruits in and then evaluate the program. Last year was meaningless results wise and year 1 she's playing with someone else's recruits. There is way too much golf talent in Texas and surrounding states for us to not be a strong team.
coloradoag69
AG
Your points supporting Gaston are valid, and I suspect you all know more about recruiting golf people than I do. I'm not calling for her to be replaced; I really was looking for opinions from posters who follow collegiate golf more closely than I do. I don't deny that I thought we'd show more improvement this year than we have.

I know in at least several of the women's sports, recruits will be committed to colleges one or two years before letters are actually signed, and they can sign their letters during their junior year. So even getting your recruits on campus is a multiple season wait.

Does anyone know when Gaston's first recruits show at A&M? It was mentioned that several of those coming next season are expected to be really good.
coloradoag69
AG
98Ag

In a quick look over the "Golf" forum threads, I didn't find the one you referenced discussing the golf coach. Can you help me out.
powerbelly
AG
https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3154491

Here you go
Cedar09
Coach Gaston will bring some trophies home to Aggieland! Just give it some time.
Quinn
AG
Rubble said:

Is golf an upperclassmen led sport? I would have guessed that freshman could come in right away to contribute, but I know nothing about how it works.
powerbelly
AG
Quinn said:

Rubble said:

Is golf an upperclassmen led sport? I would have guessed that freshman could come in right away to contribute, but I know nothing about how it works.
It would be rare for a freshman to really come in and lead a team (think Speith at tu). If you look at pro golfers they really peak in their 30s for men and mid to late 20s for women.
coloradoag69
AG
Thanks, Powerbelly. I read that thread. It seems at least there is some interest in the ladies team. So that's good. There were a lot of the same questions that I had. Trying to be objective, I didn't see much of an answer for why it is difficult to get promising women recruits to come to A&M.

It all comes down to recruiting, doesn't it? In this case it's the golf equivalent of the football Jimmies and Joes. The conference is apparently pretty tough, as well.

It looks like this year is done. Finishing in the bottom four of the SEC championship and not being ranked going in means no NCAA bid. I hope we start seeing improvement next year.
jja79
AG
I think the program had been neglected by the previous regime. The talent level wasn't there. Gaston won 3 national championships and finished in the top 5 her last 13 years at USC. She's a proven commodity. Give her some time.
Quinn
AG
Like I said earlier, I'm totally uneducated on the specific sport and its landscape, but it seems like if we went out and hired the very best coach available, we should give her as long as she needs to be successful, especially if we neglected the sport previously.
EKUAg
AG
Moved up to 12th today. 1 ahead of Mizzou and 5 ahead of 10th ranked UGA. Only 3 teams over par.
Courtney Dow at -5 is low Aggie. Leader -10.
19AG84
AG
Love everything Aggie. But I must admit, the girls team has not lived up to expectations. Coach Gaston must be given time to get her girls in place, but the clock is ticking.
Rubble
AG
19AG84 said:

Love everything Aggie. But I must admit, the girls team has not lived up to expectations. Coach Gaston must be given time to get her girls in place, but the clock is ticking.

What clock? Again, it's not a sport you can turn around fast. Unless you recruit 5 phenoms in one cycle (that won't ever happen), it takes years to build it.
Trucker 96
It's not like JT revved it up right away. This is an evaluate after 5-6 year journey
aginlakeway
AG
19AG84 said:

According to who? And what will your actions be after this "clock" expires?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
19AG84
AG
Rubble said:

19AG84 said:

What clock? Again, it's not a sport you can turn around fast. Unless you recruit 5 phenoms in one cycle (that won't ever happen), it takes years to build it.
Totally disagree with you. There are limited spots on a golf team. Just like basketball, tennis, etc. You can turn over the roster very quickly.

With that said, I know Coach Gaston. I have played a couple rounds of golf with her. She has had a great history at USC. But the fact that her teams have not performed (yet) is concerting. Being 12th in the SEC is not what she was hired for at Texas A&M.

COVID strikes for 2020.....
12th place (as of this evening) in the SEC in 2021.
2022?

Hard to argue the clock is not ticking?
Trucker 96
I will say this, and it goes for any sport: There is always some level of risk with bringing in a coach that spent their entire career in a totally different part of the country. Now college golf oftentimes tends to be a recruit nationally/internationally sport (and 3 of our 8 fit this), but still, it can be an obstacle and may be one factor playing a role in a slow start. Gotta be able to pull locally to build a complete team, and for a transplant, that may take some time to build relationships to land the local talent we need.
jja79
AG
They've moved up one spot to 11th and passed Kentucky.
aginlakeway
AG
jja79 said:

They've moved up one spot to 11th and passed Kentucky.

An LSU player is -6 thru 11 today. Impressive.
EKUAg
AG
For A&M Amber Park is -5 on the day with two holes left and Ava Schwienteck is -2 with one to go.
EKUAg
AG
Schwientack just birdied 9 (her 18th) to shoot 69. A&M now under par as a team.
aginlakeway
AG
EKUAg said:

Schwientack just birdied 9 (her 18th) to shoot 69. A&M now under par as a team.

Good 3rd round. But tough to overcome a 77-76 start. We really struggled in rounds 1 and 2.

Geez ... LSU has 4 players in top 10.
EKUAg
AG
Right now the top 4 are -12 on the front 9 today. Dow just birdied 5 to go -4 on the front and -1 on the day.
aginlakeway
AG
EKUAg said:

Right now the top 4 are -12 on the front 9 today. Dow just birdied 5 to go -4 on the front and -1 on the day.

We are playing really well today.
EKUAg
AG
Park makes double on her last hole to shoot 69.
jja79
AG
Brutal way to finish for her but still a 69. Both girls in the house shot 69. Hopefully the other 3 can hold the fort coming in.

EKUAg
AG
Dow with another birdie. -5 on the front and -2 on the day. -7 for the tournament
EKUAg
AG
Tyree goes +1 her last five to shoot 73.
Garcia's scores got caught up with a bogey and two birdies. +2 on the day with two to go.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.