PGA will strip Trump Bedminster of 2022 PGA Championship

3,945 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mr.Bond
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You really think no one is going to talk about the event supposed to have been somewhere else all week of the event. That's delusional.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Very well said. It's interesting though, due to timing it got more run right now than it might have at another time. Definitely hit "mainstream" media.
Aggieaggie95
I dont know who needs to hear this but the PGA and PGA TOUR are completely different organizations. The PGA runs the PGA Champ. The tour has no control over it
bagger05
AG
AgLA06 said:

You really think no one is going to talk about the event supposed to have been somewhere else all week of the event. That's delusional.
No, that's not what I think. I am sure it'll be mentioned during broadcasts, in media leading to the event, etc.

I just don't think that it'll be a big deal. Call it a 3 on a 1-10 scale. I think if you move it, that's probably your worst-case scenario.

If you don't move it, your BEST case scenario is probably a 3. No matter what the fact that it's at a course with Trump in its name is going to be at least a little bit of a thing. Worst case scenario is way worse than a 3. If Trump does or says something crazy leading up to the event you've got a 7 or 8 on your hands and it's a big problem.

That's just my guess on their thinking.
jonj101
I understand and agree with what you're saying from the risk management perspective.

At the same time, I personally hate that society has declined to the point where something like this has to be a managed risk.
bagger05
AG
To me this is different that what we've seen in the past. For example, this seems different than taking the event away from Doral (which seemed petty to me).
The Milkman
AG
So would this be an ideal time to play some of Trumps courses for cheaper than I could have otherwise?
mazag08
AG
The Milkman said:

So would this be an ideal time to play some of Trumps courses for cheaper than I could have otherwise?

Only if you are ok being labeled a white nationalist terrorist racist
Yesterday
AG
mazag08 said:

The Milkman said:

Only if you are ok being labeled a white nationalist terrorist racist
I'm already labeled that...might as well play awesome courses.
jonj101
I wouldn't say its the same as the Doral move, but I see it as just another example or progression of the caustic cancel culture that has become characteristic of society.

I try not to get too much into social media, but recently I have seen more and more steps/posts on trying to push such a mindset on golf. Articles like: "Wow - how can golfers play at old courses or country clubs that have names connected to historic racism?!" or "Golf courses contribute to the destruction of the planet and the game is historically racist #cancelgolf !"

Pardon the rant, but Its just stupid and tiring at this point.
jja79
AG
It speaks to the level of hate against Trump, which I personally think is unfounded. Augusta National has a long history of overt racism and sexism and there's not a peep. Please tell me the shows on Golf Channel aren't going the way of ESPN's studio shows.
bagger05
AG
jonj101 said:

I wouldn't say its the same as the Doral move, but I see it as just another example or progression of the caustic cancel culture that has become characteristic of society.

I try not to get too much into social media, but recently I have seen more and more steps/posts on trying to push such a mindset on golf. Articles like: "Wow - how can golfers play at old courses or country clubs that have names connected to historic racism?!" or "Golf courses contribute to the destruction of the planet and the game is historically racist #cancelgolf !"

Pardon the rant, but Its just stupid and tiring at this point.
This is where I disagree.

When I think "cancel culture" I think of projecting today's standards onto stuff that happened a long time ago. Like if someone wanted to cancel The Open because they found out that Old Tom Morris said some bad stuff about gay people in 1875.

The PGA's decision was due to something that happened less than a week ago. Or at least it seems that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

To me that seems different than reaching back into history.
jonj101
Gotcha - I understand your view better now.

The reason why I think of both is because of the intent. Its just focused on tearing things down or destroying people versus building things up or being productive.

The historical example you gave is the degree of lunacy that it has been trending towards lately. Demanding those in the past somehow should have lived by society standards of today is insanity.

However the standards in society today change with the way the wind blows, and the view of canceling/destroying people still alive regardless of whether they intentionally or unintentionally did something is prevalent. For example when the coach of Okie Lite had on that news channel t-shirt. He had to make a public apology to retain his position. Who in society deemed that it is now the standard or made it offensive?

Or another example is a white kid singing along with a rap song. Someone videos her, then a few years down the road when she enters college they send the vid to her college, and the university kicks her out. In my view because of the intent and approach, I still consider that a part of cancel culture.
Mr.Bond
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Now is a good time to remind the conservative snowflakes that they're for free markets, except when it hurts their fragile little feelings.

Shut up and bake the cake remember?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.