National Memberships

25,439 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Husker4theSpurs
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did a trip to Prairie Club last summer and really enjoyed it. I agree that it's too far out of the way to be on the list. I would love to go back, but I don't really want to do the 5 hour drive from Omaha. Great place, though.
booradley
AG
You might also consider becoming a course rater. That would give you access to many of the great courses. Not all.

Fairly easy to get into the program with golf digest or golf week. There's fees and requirements with both.

I was on the Top 100 panel for golf magazine for many years. There were a few that didn't let me on ((Shinnecock, winged foot) but I played just about everything else easily.

Might be worth a look, especially if you travel for business.

Just my 2 cents.
Husker4theSpurs
Speckled Trout said:

Arbor Links is a very nice course but just doesn't have the character of the Prairie Club in my opinion. But a much closer drive for you from Omaha.

I'm headed to Dismal next month. Looking forward to comparing it to Prairie Club and Sandhills.
I agree with you about Arbor Links in relation to Prairie Club. I'm looking forward to checking out the other courses as well.

There's a new course being built closer to Omaha called Lost Rail (check their Twitter for information) which will offer national memberships as well ($25,000 initiation, $3000 yearly dues). Sounds like it will be a special place. I'm considering joining there as well and I've received some better offers for Prairie Club (choices, choices).

Let us here know what you think of Dismal and how it compares. (Also what did you think of Sandhills vs Prairie Club?)
Husker4theSpurs
Quinn said:

I did a trip to Prairie Club last summer and really enjoyed it. I agree that it's too far out of the way to be on the list. I would love to go back, but I don't really want to do the 5 hour drive from Omaha. Great place, though.

Probably not a cheap flight but Rapid City, SD may be closer to fly into ... might not save you total time in the air however.
Quinn
AG
My dad did the logistical planning, but I do think he considered that. Think he looked at that and Denver (besides Omaha). Really a neat place, so I'd like to go back some day.
Goldie Wilson
AeroAg2003 said:

Lots of other good options in North / South Carolina, midwest, north east, etc.

What are your North Carolina / South Carolina recommendations?
WhoopN06
In SC, Palmetto.
Husker4theSpurs
Heading off to Ballyhack this weekend near Roanoke, VA. Gonna see how I like having this Dormie Network membership.
Legend
AG
Husker4theSpurs said:

Heading off to Ballyhack this weekend near Roanoke, VA. Gonna see how I like having this Dormie Network membership.
Just curious to hear an update on this.
_______________________ Larry Legend
Husker4theSpurs
Finally back to update on Dormie Network membership. I have been really liking it. Actually I'm in Charlotte right now getting ready to go to Primland, Ballyhack (Dormie Network), Dormie Club (Dormie Network), and Tobacco Road.

The dues for Dormie Network vary depending on if you're a regional member or national member. Basically if you are TOO close to one of the clubs you pay more. I pay $7200/yr instead of $6000/yr because I'm close to Arbor Links. Last I knew they just started a waitlist for all regional memberships. Places like Hidden Creek have a larger local membership and they're trying to discourage this as they go to a more national business model and hope to eventually move toward a stay to play model (must stay on site to play the course). Dormie Club is going stay to play in 2022. There are other membership packages available as well geared toward more corporate membership (kind of their eventual plan rather than individual it seems).

The courses are all great (haven't played Hidden Creek yet) and the accommodations, conditioning and service are second to none. All properties will have a minimum of 60 beds on property (most often found in 4 master bedroom with a common living area format) sooner than later. Tons of construction going on most places right now (nothing obtrusive). My favorite on the network to travel to is Ballyhack in Roanoke, VA. Lovely setting and the course is beautiful and TOUGH. Dormie Club in the Pinehurst area is more playable and very nice and has a brand new clubhouse just completed. Can let you know on the new cottages after this weekend. I love Arbor Links personally. Briggs Ranch in San Antonio is probably the most playable of the six. Victoria National is a real treasure and a great test as well.

Guest fees accompanied are $150 for all day play and $200/bedroom. Unaccompanied rates are $300 for golf (plus forecaddie plus tip) and $250/bedroom for lodging. Any questions and I'd be glad to answer them!
bagger05
AG
1 What are the fees for staying on property if you're a member?

2. What was initiation?

3. Is it year to year or is there a commitment?

4. When you go on a trip what are your actual out of pocket expenses?
213 Grove
AG

Seems like a deal worth looking into
Speckled Trout
AG
Husker4theSpurs said:

Speckled Trout said:

Arbor Links is a very nice course but just doesn't have the character of the Prairie Club in my opinion. But a much closer drive for you from Omaha.

I'm headed to Dismal next month. Looking forward to comparing it to Prairie Club and Sandhills.
I agree with you about Arbor Links in relation to Prairie Club. I'm looking forward to checking out the other courses as well.

There's a new course being built closer to Omaha called Lost Rail (check their Twitter for information) which will offer national memberships as well ($25,000 initiation, $3000 yearly dues). Sounds like it will be a special place. I'm considering joining there as well and I've received some better offers for Prairie Club (choices, choices).

Let us here know what you think of Dismal and how it compares. (Also what did you think of Sandhills vs Prairie Club?)

I enjoyed the setting at Dismal more than I did the Prairie Club or Sandhills. Sandhills was a much tougher course than either PC or Dismal. The Doak course at Dismal is far more playable than the Nicklaus course IMO. Nicklaus course was very gimmicky. Prairie Club Dunes course was the most playable of all of them. Pines course was tougher.
Speckled Trout
AG
Husker4theSpurs said:

Finally back to update on Dormie Network membership. I have been really liking it. Actually I'm in Charlotte right now getting ready to go to Primland, Ballyhack (Dormie Network), Dormie Club (Dormie Network), and Tobacco Road.

The dues for Dormie Network vary depending on if you're a regional member or national member. Basically if you are TOO close to one of the clubs you pay more. I pay $7200/yr instead of $6000/yr because I'm close to Arbor Links. Last I knew they just started a waitlist for all regional memberships. Places like Hidden Creek have a larger local membership and they're trying to discourage this as they go to a more national business model and hope to eventually move toward a stay to play model (must stay on site to play the course). Dormie Club is going stay to play in 2022. There are other membership packages available as well geared toward more corporate membership (kind of their eventual plan rather than individual it seems).

The courses are all great (haven't played Hidden Creek yet) and the accommodations, conditioning and service are second to none. All properties will have a minimum of 60 beds on property (most often found in 4 master bedroom with a common living area format) sooner than later. Tons of construction going on most places right now (nothing obtrusive). My favorite on the network to travel to is Ballyhack in Roanoke, VA. Lovely setting and the course is beautiful and TOUGH. Dormie Club in the Pinehurst area is more playable and very nice and has a brand new clubhouse just completed. Can let you know on the new cottages after this weekend. I love Arbor Links personally. Briggs Ranch in San Antonio is probably the most playable of the six. Victoria National is a real treasure and a great test as well.

Guest fees accompanied are $150 for all day play and $200/bedroom. Unaccompanied rates are $300 for golf (plus forecaddie plus tip) and $250/bedroom for lodging. Any questions and I'd be glad to answer them!

Any word on Dormie's acquisition of Wolf Point? Would love to play it.
Husker4theSpurs
Sorry I disappeared guys ...

Dormie Network did purchase Wolf Point and now it is referred to as TX0 and invite only on the network ... not available to most members.

Dormie Network is moving away from individual memberships and trying to serve the corporate outing and campus takeover market. They just announced another course they're building in Western Nebraska called Gray Bull. It will be their first from the ground project--lead architect is David McKay Kidd and set to open in 2024.

They are currently trying to push people into Signature Memberships which is an 80 night commitment with two designees and a 4 year commitment. Penalty for not using the nights. With a signature membership all places are stay to play. As of now Dormie Club and Grey Bull are the only ones of the 7 that will be stay to play--certain the hope is to go stay to play everywhere when it makes financial sense. They're slowing but surely pushing out regional members.

To stay on site it is $800 + taxes and fees to rent a cottage ... most are 4 master bedrooms with common living area. It's $1200 + taxes and fees to rent an executive cottage which has a larger living area with full bar rather than wet bar and generally have steam showers and a larger full dining table for entertaining etc.

Generally per man it's $225/night/room if you have 4 of you ... guest fees are $185 for all day play as of now ... surely both of these things will go up after the end of the year.

I'd say by the time I fly, pay to stay, rent a car, eat/drink/etc a 3 night 4 day stay is around $1500-2000. More if we book an executive cottage.

Currently National Memberships are $7,000 per year and last I'd heard initiation was $15,000 but that's sometimes negotiable (may be more now). If you have a business at all the Signature Membership becomes more attractive. Just the 80 night room commitment ... no monthly fees etc. If you're more of an individual the best way to make a signature work is to have one large group outing a year to eat up those nights and go from there. Can personally be cheaper for you than a National that way. But lodging will surely increase in price over that 4 year commitment. They are definitely moving away from "individual" play.
grego
AG
Maybe I don't quite understand the model. But that seems like a ton of money to play not terribly frequent and certainly not very convenient golf. Seems like a better value to join a high end local club and have your pro get you on comparable or better courses in the event you want to travel to play.

Or make trips to Scotland, Bandon, etc.
Stymied
AG
The national club model typically falls into one of two categories:
  • Destination clubs - These clubs are usually very prestigious and are setup with lodging on site. You take a foursome with you and everything is on site (food, lodging, etc).
  • Second homes - Some national members have second homes and justify joining as a national member for the few months out of the year that they are nearby.

I would say that in general golf memberships and probably in particular national memberships don't usually make a ton of sense if you are using cost as the primary factor for your decision.

I joined a national club (that isn't actually even open yet, the course is just being grassed right now) earlier this year and it falls square into the destination club model. It also makes absolutely no sense if you view it through a cost per round lens either.
Alta
AG
Access is key. Takes so much advance planning to go to Bandon, etc. I've explored National memberships a lot for that reason alone. I like to be able to go at the last minute and have a place to stay and play.
AgLA06
AG
Let's be real.

You either have more money than you know what to do with or this isn't about golf.

If you can jump in your private jet every other Wednesday with a couple buddies to play then, why not? And Congrats.

The few people I know with these kinds of memberships aren't going it for golf. It's a social / business networking expense.
grego
AG
I would argue the Dormie club arrangement offers very little In the way of networking. Especially when compared to a high end private club
1872walker
Agree.

These destination clubs, whether it's something like Inverness, Whispering Pines or Dormie Network are great opportunities to gain access to fantastic courses without being well connected, but they quickly lose their luster as for the most part you don't really get a chance to make relationships with locals. You'll bring your buddies out with you when you come and the bloom has a way of quickly falling off that rose. Make sure the economics work in the short term so you're okay cutting the cord when you realize you're not using it as much as you once thought.

That said, I visited Prairie Dunes a few years ago and looked into that program. Post-Covid I'm guessing the numbers have gone up, but running the ledger on quality of course vs outlay makes me think it has to be the best value in the country. That said, you're in Hutchinson, Kansas…..which brings me back to the point of focusing your search on an area you'd want to spend a month, not just a long weekend.

Destination national memberships make the most sense when (as discussed above) it's a place where you already or will travel to frequently and want to spend a lot of time.
grego
AG
Completely agreed with all of that.

And the main point I can't understand is why someone would join Dormie network as their primary club. National memberships seem much more attractive as a second membership to me. And I think a true national membership makes a lot more sense than Dormie - where you are essentially just prepaying for high priced guest rounds.
1872walker
Honestly, that's all private golf is. Even home clubs. Access to a facility that you end up paying a high price per round. Some will use it enough to make the numbers work but the majority will not use it enough to make economic sense. It's a luxury they are willing to pay for.

That just gets ramped up on second clubs.
Alta
AG
Joining a club for financial reasons whether home or national isn't usually a sound financial choice. It's a luxury item like a lot of things.
Husker4theSpurs
I have a club I belong to locally called Lost Rail ... ArborLinks used to be my "local" course but is 45 minutes from me. I will likely continue to stay with Dormie Network as well for the time being. I do enjoy all the courses and it's nice to have a "home away from home" that I can book with fairly short notice. You're paying for conditioning, service and accessibility.

It really makes sense as a business expense and as a Signature Membership if you like to host clients and the like. I probably make 6-8 trips a year outside of visits to ArborLinks. With Grey Bull being built in my home state as well that gives me another travel option 4 hours from me.

I have taken a lot of different friends on trips to a Dormie property and never had anyone not love the hell out of it and enjoy staying on property and playing all day without needing to leave property. Accommodations are great as well.
Husker4theSpurs
bagger05 said:

1 What are the fees for staying on property if you're a member?

2. What was initiation?

3. Is it year to year or is there a commitment?

4. When you go on a trip what are your actual out of pocket expenses?
1. It's $225/room/night with all taxes and fees (full cottage $800/night; $1200/night for executive - larger living area, steam showers, full bar).

2. I won my membership eventually on an auction, but it was $10k when I inquired two years ago. Now it's $15,000 I believe. I think it's a bit negotiable.

3. Month to month ... unless you do a Signature Membership which involves SOLELY a room night commitment (80 room nights, 2 designees) and it's a four year contract (likely negotiable). No dues or green fees for the designees. $500 per room penalty for any nights not used.

4. I'd say as a member my out of pocket expenses are $1500 for flight, car, food, lodging for 3-4 nights. My guests for 4 nights and food, drinks, flight, car generally pay me $2000-2200 for four nights, four days.
Husker4theSpurs
Just a little follow up as I'm resigning as a Dormie Network member. I think a summation of my experience would be if you join as a signature member (room night commitment only) it makes sense but I wouldn't recommend joining as a regional or national member right now.

I for certain would not pay an initiation of any sort as they flood the market with donated memberships that you can win on an auction for $7500 for a year usually.

If you live too close to a course you pay more because they want people overnight no matter what so you end up being filler for leftover tee times. During my time I was booked over for campus takeovers twice. There's really no exclusivity to belonging as they'll let about anyone on unaccompanied if they choose. If they need to chase sales outside network membership to fill the cottages on site they will.

They're leveraging the opening of GrayBull to drive up initiations (which makes a lot of business sense) currently, but I'd be very wary. I don't think a member will have as easy of access to GrayBull as one would hope--this has been the issue at Dormie Club of late. Those two clubs (GrayBull and Dormie Club) will be on a different tier than the other courses of sorts and/or be their most frequently used destinations for corporate campus takeovers. Both will be stay-to-play only and all-inclusive rates (all you can eat/drink/forecaddie) to the tune of about $1300 a night after taxes and fees in a noon to noon model. As a member that is an elevated cost of about + $700-800 from this year per night. And now a member pays the same as their guest.

You cannot beat the product on site in terms of service, lodging, food etc. All top notch. You would want to see how easily reachable they are from your primary local airport if traveling commercial.
Husker4theSpurs
grego said:

I would argue the Dormie club arrangement offers very little In the way of networking. Especially when compared to a high end private club
I would argue you are correct.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.